Vernon Davis: Russell Wilson is the best QB in the NFL...

Marvin49

Reaction score
OrFan":1o8ho9nf said:
SoulfishHawk":1o8ho9nf said:
Kind of funny how much time you spend on a SEAHAWKS board.

:lol:

Just messin

That's because he has a lot of free time now, since he gave up on spending it all trying to get all the tarnish off of their antique trophies.

Funny...you guys spend more time talking about the 5 Lombardis than I ever have.

As for the topic...I'm not implying that Davis is saying Kaep is or is not the best. The comment was meant as a compliment to Wilson and its a deserved one. Just not sure why its not enough that he said that and is instead being interpreted as "I like Wilson better than my QB, I just can't say so".

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Marvin49":2tocelsq said:
Well, at the very beginning he does say....

"Welcome to my version of Monday Morning Quarterback. With Peter King on vacation, I have some thoughts on financial literacy in the NFL, the identity of the best QB not named Colin Kaepernick and the last word on that NFC Championship Game."

I wouldn't be so sure he'd be willing to switch.

Kinda funny tho that you have no prob with him taking Wilson over Manning or Brady but think he's just being nice by not including Kaep in the argument.

All well. It is what it is.

Just admit that you'd rather have Wilson too and move on.

You know and I know that, just by a bit, deep in dark places in your heart that you would rather not admit exist, you would trade off Kaepernick's freak athleticism for Wilson's ability to deliver an accurate deep ball and his considerably better pocket passing.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Because it's more fun that way. He hates Kaep, and wants to play with Wilson.

Yeah, that's it :thirishdrinkers:

Marvin49

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":9pvav0u1 said:
Marvin49":9pvav0u1 said:

"Welcome to my version of Monday Morning Quarterback. With Peter King on vacation, I have some thoughts on financial literacy in the NFL, the identity of the best QB not named Colin Kaepernick and the last word on that NFC Championship Game."

Kinda funny tho that you have no prob with him taking Wilson over Manning or Brady but think he's just being nice by not including Kaep in the argument.

You know and I know that, just by a bit, deep in dark places in your heart that you would rather not admit exist, you would trade off Kaepernick's freak athleticism for Wilson's ability to deliver an accurate deep ball and his considerably better pocket passing.

I'll try to say this in as much a non-homeristic way as I possibly can...

...but right now? No, I wouldn't. Don't get me wrong. I like RW. I think he's got a bright, bright future. My opinion just has to do with the fact that I have a much higher opinion of Kap than most on this board. Is it because I'm a Niner fan? Very possible...but it's my opinion nonetheless.

I like that he's 6'4". I like that he has a cannon. I like that he runs like a deer. I like that he's already 2nd in the all time rushing list for QBs in the playoffs. I like that the Super Bowl was his 10th career start. I like that he's 4-2 in the playoffs and 3-1 on the road (don't count SB as road game) in only 2 seasons.

I also don't look at him from a rivals perspective and try to find every reason I can NOT to like him. He's got flaws. no question. I just happen to think he can work through them and has shown the work ethic to improve.

It's not popular on this board (for obvious reasons), but I wouldn't trade him for Wilson. Sorry.

seanoob

Reaction score
Vernon Davis is a class act. I like what he said about the NFC championship game - it was as epic from the inside as it was for us looking in from the outside.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":rjdcpo3t said:

:D Like I said. Funny. No worries.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Marvin49":3e0izcw5 said:
Smelly McUgly":3e0izcw5 said:
Marvin49":3e0izcw5 said:

I try to say this in as much a non-homeristic way as I possibly can...

...but right now? No, I wouldn't. Don't get me wrong. I like RW. I think he's got a bright, bright future. My opinion just has to do with the fact that I have a much higher opinion of Kap than most on this board. Is it because I'm a Niner fan? Very possible...but it's my opinion nonetheless.

I also don't look at him from a rivals perspective and try to find every reason I can NOT to like him. He's got flaws. no question. I just happen to think he can work through them and has shown the work ethic to improve.

It's not popular on this board (for obvious reasons), but I wouldn't trade him for Wilson. Sorry.

I'm going to accept this because I can see looking at Kaepernick's athletic upside, which no other QB in the league has, and wanting to keep him over everyone else at QB because if he can develop upper-tier pocket-passing and defense reading skills, he really might end up as the best QB ever. That seems like a reason to keep Kaepernick over anyone else.

I don't think Kaepernick will ever be upper-tier at those skills, but he should turn out to be a great player and a bargain for SF at his price.

I will say that I would take Wilson over Kaepernick because, as intangible as it is, Wilson has the clutch gene. As a Seattle sports fan, I can only think of four people that I felt could win my team a game at any time based on just who they were as a person and their makeup as a player: Edgar Martinez, Randy Johnson, Felix Hernandez, Kevin Durant, and now Russell Wilson adds to that list to make five. It's a rare feeling to have for me, and I'm very aware of it. '

To me, even if Kaepernick caught up to Wilson in terms of playing from the pocket, etc., Wilson seems like the type of guy you would never, ever want to trade for someone else.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":27pxflfm said:
Marvin49":27pxflfm said:
Smelly McUgly":27pxflfm said:
Marvin49":27pxflfm said:

I try to say this in as much a non-homeristic way as I possibly can...

I'm going to accept this because I can see looking at Kaepernick's athletic upside, which no other QB in the league has, and wanting to keep him over everyone else at QB because if he can develop upper-tier pocket-passing and defense reading skills, he really might end up as the best QB ever. That seems like a reason to keep Kaepernick over anyone else.

I don't think Kaepernick will ever be upper-tier at those skills, but he should turn out to be a great player and a bargain for SF at his price.

I will say that I would take Wilson over Kaepernick because, as intangible as it is, Wilson has the clutch gene. As a Seattle sports fan, I can only think of four people that I felt could win my team a game at any time based on just who they were as a person and their makeup as a player: Edgar Martinez, Randy Johnson, Felix Hernandez, Kevin Durant, and now Russell Wilson adds to that list to make five. It's a rare feeling to have for me, and I'm very aware of it. '

To me, even if Kaepernick caught up to Wilson in terms of playing from the pocket, etc., Wilson seems like the type of guy you would never, ever want to trade for someone else.

I can respect that.

I think Kap is more clutch than he gets credit for here, but I see how you can think that way. While Kap has delivered in clutch times to win playoff games, he hasn't delivered when it was for ALL the marbles.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Marvin49":ee9hcmrh said:
OrFan":ee9hcmrh said:
SoulfishHawk":ee9hcmrh said:

Just messin

That's because he has a lot of free time now, since he gave up on spending it all trying to get all the tarnish off of their antique trophies.

Funny...you guys spend more time talking about the 5 Lombardis than I ever have.

As for the topic...I'm not implying that Davis is saying Kaep is or is not the best. The comment was meant as a compliment to Wilson and its a deserved one. Just not sure why its not enough that he said that and is instead being interpreted as "I like Wilson better than my QB, I just can't say so".

Because everyone including VD knows that Wilson is better than Kaepernick so it's pretty obvious.

Wilson wouldn't have turned the ball over three times in the fourth quarter of an NFC championship game. It's that simple.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Decision making is clearly not even close. I will say that Kaep does have a fricken cannon for an arm, and he actually worries me more when he runs than when he passes. Dude's running skills are ridiculous. But his blatant refusal to fix his passing technique where he seems to throw line drives over and over etc. keeps him from being one of the best in the game. You can't just go after Sherm, you can't just turn the ball over at the end of the Superbowl vs. the Ravens etc.
These things you just don't see from Wilson.

ok, now I must go throw up after giving Kaep some credit :shock:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1r06fg3v said:

I don't think he hates Kaep, but you can't tell me Vernon doesn't get frustrated with Kaep's inconsistent reads and wild throws...........and would love a more fundamentally consistent QB like Wilson that can read a defense and get him the ball more.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1pbduqdt said:
...Kaep excluded.

I think among the 31 NFL quarterbacks who don’t throw me passes, Russell Wilson is the best. He’s got all the tools; ability to keep the play alive, and he’s very accurate with a strong arm. He exemplifies what it takes to be a winning QB in the NFL. If you asked me to choose based on record and experience, I’ll take Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, but in terms of right now, my pick is Wilson.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/16/vernon-da ... arterback/

Also calls the NFC Championship Game the greatest game he's ever played in and says Seattle's coverages aren't as simple as people say.

That's pretty awesome, and I have more respect for VD than before (I never had any ill thoughts towards him to begin with). Surprised he didn't mention Aaron Rodgers though.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2a4jjuyf said:
Marvin49":2a4jjuyf said:
OrFan":2a4jjuyf said:
SoulfishHawk":2a4jjuyf said:

Just messin

Because everyone including VD knows that Wilson is better than Kaepernick so it's pretty obvious.

Wilson wouldn't have turned the ball over three times in the fourth quarter of an NFC championship game. It's that simple.

Just to rub some more salt in the wound...

Wilson only has 2 total TO in 5 career playoff games. 1 hail mary that Julio Jones intercepted and the Smith fumble in the NFCCG. But at least Kaepernick doesn't have 9 INT's in 3 career playoff games.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":2r7vfgby said:

Come on, Marvin; you'd be skeptical as hell (rightfully so) if our TE, Zach Miller, said the same thing but not named Russell Wilson.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2cybvsf9 said:
SoulfishHawk":2cybvsf9 said:

I don't think he hates Kaep, but you can't tell me Vernon doesn't get frustrated with Kaep's inconsistent reads and wild throws...........and would love a more fundamentally consistent QB like Wilson that can read a defense and get him the ball more.

....even though he was hampered with a bad hamstring for a large portion of the season and missed time with a concussion, he still had 850 yards and scored 13 times.

I think he's OK with his QB.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2brvokly said:
Marvin49":2brvokly said:

Come on, Marvin; you'd be skeptical as hell (rightfully so) if our TE, Zach Miller, said the same thing but not named Russell Wilson.

Not really. I'd just take it as the compliment it was meant to be and wouldn't try to look for "deeper meaning".

hawker84

Reaction score
[/quote]I'll try to say this in as much a non-homeristic way as I possibly can...

I like that he's 6'4". I like that he has a cannon. I like that he runs like a deer. I like that he's already 2nd in the all time rushing list for QBs in the playoffs. I like that the Super Bowl was his 10th career start. I like that he's 4-2 in the playoffs and 3-1 on the road (don't count SB as road game) in only 2 seasons.

It's not popular on this board (for obvious reasons), but I wouldn't trade him for Wilson. Sorry.[/quote]

No a deer is majestic and graceful when it runs, Kap is not.. I'm thinking more in the lines of Ostrich, Legs flyin everywhere, but none the less still very fast...

Good to see your still fighting the good fight Marvin.... :th2thumbs:

Hawknballs

Reaction score
eh you can't deny Kaep's ability to run and he has a great arm. I just wouldn't put him in the same category as RW when it comes to football IQ, and I doubt Vernon would either. Even most 49er fans on reasonable forums (meaning not webzone) seem to get this.

For starters clock management at the end of that drive was poor with multiple Timeouts remaining. And I doubt you'd see RW toss a ball to the corner of the end zone with that kind of coverage, let alone against the league's top corner. Kaep got away with multiple bad decisions in the game against carolina and to an extent the green bay game. He didn't get away with them against Seattle.

Obviously Davis isn't going to come out and say his guy isn't as good, that would be silly, but I'm pretty sure in an honest moment Vernon would rather have Wilson throwing the ball.