Vernon Davis: Russell Wilson is the best QB in the NFL...

HawkWow

Reaction score
Sorry VD....you're just not tough enough to be a Hawk. Thanks for the compliment but compliments won't save you.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I think he meant deer in the head lights. Kind of like how he goes through his progressions.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Marvin49":qdxr8ow6 said:
Smelly McUgly":qdxr8ow6 said:
Marvin49":qdxr8ow6 said:
Well, at the very beginning he does say....

"Welcome to my version of Monday Morning Quarterback. With Peter King on vacation, I have some thoughts on financial literacy in the NFL, the identity of the best QB not named Colin Kaepernick and the last word on that NFC Championship Game."

I wouldn't be so sure he'd be willing to switch.

Kinda funny tho that you have no prob with him taking Wilson over Manning or Brady but think he's just being nice by not including Kaep in the argument.

All well. It is what it is.

Just admit that you'd rather have Wilson too and move on.

You know and I know that, just by a bit, deep in dark places in your heart that you would rather not admit exist, you would trade off Kaepernick's freak athleticism for Wilson's ability to deliver an accurate deep ball and his considerably better pocket passing.

I'll try to say this in as much a non-homeristic way as I possibly can...

...but right now? No, I wouldn't. Don't get me wrong. I like RW. I think he's got a bright, bright future. My opinion just has to do with the fact that I have a much higher opinion of Kap than most on this board. Is it because I'm a Niner fan? Very possible...but it's my opinion nonetheless.

I like that he's 6'4". I like that he has a cannon. I like that he runs like a deer. I like that he's already 2nd in the all time rushing list for QBs in the playoffs. I like that the Super Bowl was his 10th career start. I like that he's 4-2 in the playoffs and 3-1 on the road (don't count SB as road game) in only 2 seasons.

I also don't look at him from a rivals perspective and try to find every reason I can NOT to like him. He's got flaws. no question. I just happen to think he can work through them and has shown the work ethic to improve.

It's not popular on this board (for obvious reasons), but I wouldn't trade him for Wilson. Sorry.

I think Kaep has been more lucky than good in the clutch. What if the ball in GB is picked off as it should of been? He then proceeds to throw a pick to end the game in Seattle. I also don't understand the athletic ceiling argument. Wilson isn't as far off as Niner fans want you to believe as an athlete and they tested out real close at the combine. Wilson with one less year of experience is light years ahead in reading defenses pre/post snap, progressing through his reads, playing under pressure and as a leader. I just don't see the "ceiling" as any higher because he runs so well. Take out the two GB games and his rushing stats come way down. Would it shock me if he became very good? No. But there is no way I would take Kaep over Wilson and at this point that's a tough argument to win.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Marvin49":33dnmu7j said:
Smelly McUgly":33dnmu7j said:
Marvin49":33dnmu7j said:
Well, at the very beginning he does say....

"Welcome to my version of Monday Morning Quarterback. With Peter King on vacation, I have some thoughts on financial literacy in the NFL, the identity of the best QB not named Colin Kaepernick and the last word on that NFC Championship Game."

I wouldn't be so sure he'd be willing to switch.

Kinda funny tho that you have no prob with him taking Wilson over Manning or Brady but think he's just being nice by not including Kaep in the argument.

All well. It is what it is.

Just admit that you'd rather have Wilson too and move on.

You know and I know that, just by a bit, deep in dark places in your heart that you would rather not admit exist, you would trade off Kaepernick's freak athleticism for Wilson's ability to deliver an accurate deep ball and his considerably better pocket passing.

I'll try to say this in as much a non-homeristic way as I possibly can...

...but right now? No, I wouldn't. Don't get me wrong. I like RW. I think he's got a bright, bright future. My opinion just has to do with the fact that I have a much higher opinion of Kap than most on this board. Is it because I'm a Niner fan? Very possible...but it's my opinion nonetheless.

I like that he's 6'4". I like that he has a cannon. I like that he runs like a deer. I like that he's already 2nd in the all time rushing list for QBs in the playoffs. I like that the Super Bowl was his 10th career start. I like that he's 4-2 in the playoffs and 3-1 on the road (don't count SB as road game) in only 2 seasons.

I also don't look at him from a rivals perspective and try to find every reason I can NOT to like him. He's got flaws. no question. I just happen to think he can work through them and has shown the work ethic to improve.

It's not popular on this board (for obvious reasons), but I wouldn't trade him for Wilson. Sorry.

lots of time and money wasted on "potential" and "ceilings".

besides, he runs like Phoebe and throws like he is a natural lefty.....awkward.

and he is a douche.

Steve2222

Reaction score
vin.couve12":cuq7ii9c said:
I'm sure there is a respect factor there, but I wouldn't rule out this as a tactic to help drive up Wilson's contract value, thus hurting the Seahawks.

Paranoid? Absolutely, but I just don't trust it coming from somebody in that uni. :2:

Yeah I doubt that's going to happen.

Wilson Agent: "Russell will only accept a contract making him the highest paid QB in the league, because Vernon Davis said he was."

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Steve2222":i0pd2in4 said:
vin.couve12":i0pd2in4 said:
I'm sure there is a respect factor there, but I wouldn't rule out this as a tactic to help drive up Wilson's contract value, thus hurting the Seahawks.

Paranoid? Absolutely, but I just don't trust it coming from somebody in that uni. :2:

Wilson Agent: "Russell will only accept a contract making him the highest paid QB in the league, because Vernon Davis said he was."
Waaaay too serious. See, there was an alien....and the wording was suggestive of a...ah, nevermind.

One good condescending post deserves another.

BASF

Reaction score
hawker84":qb5rhj08 said:
No a deer is majestic and graceful when it runs, Kap is not.. I'm thinking more in the lines of Ostrich, Legs flyin everywhere, but none the less still very fast...

Good to see your still fighting the good fight Marvin.... :th2thumbs:

The funny thing is that he actually runs exactly like a giraffe. Kind of gangly looking, but much faster than you'd expect if you are field level with him.

As far as the actual topic, I don't think anyone can actually make a case that Wilson is better than Rodgers.

Steve2222

Reaction score
vin.couve12":18oh3h2r said:
Steve2222":18oh3h2r said:
vin.couve12":18oh3h2r said:

Waaaay too serious. See, there was an alien....and the wording was suggestive of a...ah, nevermind.

Sorry I took it the wrong way. There's tons of conspiracy theorists on this board. My apologizes.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":3cupd55j said:
Not really. I'd just take it as the compliment it was meant to be and wouldn't try to look for "deeper meaning".
So you're the kind of guy that thinks a father who states that his children truly are the cutest in the world actually believes that it's a true fact as well, I take it?

Just checking. ;)

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Steve2222":1os4681k said:
vin.couve12":1os4681k said:
Steve2222":1os4681k said:
vin.couve12":1os4681k said:

Sorry I took it the wrong way. There's tons of conspiracy theorists on this board. My apologizes.
No worries. Mods should probably just delete my posts anyway. lol

HawkWow

Reaction score
BASF":11herhw5 said:
hawker84":11herhw5 said:
No a deer is majestic and graceful when it runs, Kap is not.. I'm thinking more in the lines of Ostrich, Legs flyin everywhere, but none the less still very fast...

Good to see your still fighting the good fight Marvin.... :th2thumbs:

The funny thing is that he actually runs exactly like a giraffe. Kind of gangly looking, but much faster than you'd expect if you are field level with him.

As far as the actual topic, I don't think anyone can actually make a case that Wilson is better than Rodgers.

I've always felt he ran like a moose (seriously) but one thing is certain, Kap can run like a mofo. No doubt the most dangerous running QB in the league, especially when considering how intelligently he runs the ball. I was stoked he got so much front money in his new deal. I don't predict a lot of designed runs from Kaep this season, and if he's not a threat to use his legs (against us), he is virtually impotent (against us).

seanutz

Reaction score
Throwdown":1ky0zzgi said:
Vernon wanna be a Seahawk so bad, mainly to avoid meeting Kam in a game setting. But this isn't the first time he's set high praise for the players on this team.
:13:

hoxrox

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3tvwr4ly said:
...Kaep excluded.

I think among the 31 NFL quarterbacks who don’t throw me passes, Russell Wilson is the best. He’s got all the tools; ability to keep the play alive, and he’s very accurate with a strong arm. He exemplifies what it takes to be a winning QB in the NFL. If you asked me to choose based on record and experience, I’ll take Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, but in terms of right now, my pick is Wilson.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/16/vernon-da ... arterback/

Also calls the NFC Championship Game the greatest game he's ever played in and says Seattle's coverages aren't as simple as people say.

Reading between the lines, it's easy to see that Vernon would prefer Wilson over Kaep; else, he would have just outright said Kaep is the best, and gave his reasons why.

Instead, he makes the case for Wilson:

"has all the tools"

translation: not only is Wilson athletic, he has the arm, the feet, and the brains to make smart decisions

"ability to keep the play alive"

translation: when the first or second read isn't there, Wilson will find a way to move the chains

"exemplifies what it takes to be a winning QB"

translation: he has the blood of a champion, ice in his veins, is a natural-born leader, makes everyone around him better, and is clutch in the big-time games

9er fans won't want admit it, but you can't make those same statements for Kaepernick...

Vernon knows what's up and has always been a class act.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
BASF":1ptp3fcs said:

Well, Vernon Davis just did, and he actually played Rodgers twice last season and four times in the last two...

:stirthepot:

Subzero717

Reaction score
DavidSeven":25rry2aq said:
BASF":25rry2aq said:

Well, Vernon Davis just did, and he actually played Rodgers twice last season and four times in the last two...

:stirthepot:
not that it has to do with Vernon but Jeff Saturday who, as far as I know, doesnt have a rep for bad mouthing other guys called Rodgers a system QB. FWIW.

lsheldon

Reaction score
I don't know how many actually read that entire article, but I liked it. It was well thought out, well written, and he had some useful things to say. Surprising coming from a Santa Clara Forty Whiner.

The Denver Donkey's fans comments don't surprise me. It takes a long time getting over seeing the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL get humiliated like that.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
lsheldon":1urp7eht said:
I don't know how many actually read that entire article, but I liked it. It was well thought out, well written, and he had some useful things to say. Surprising coming from a Santa Clara Forty Whiner.

I really enjoyed his thoughts on the NFC Title Game. It's rare to see a player on the losing end look back on a game with such objectivity. I sometimes wonder if we Seahawks fans were too invested in the outcome to truly appreciate what we saw that day. It was one of the great football battles of all time. When I rewatch the game, it feels like I'm watching a movie. There's just a magical feeling about it.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I have to say, whenever I have seen an interview with Davis I have been impressed. After the loss in the NFCC he was more about not giving up, wasn't negative about it.

I like what he wrote period, he gave his side of things and wants to do the best he can. I like the guy.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":2n4k4qit said:
I have to say, whenever I have seen an interview with Davis I have been impressed. After the loss in the NFCC he was more about not giving up, wasn't negative about it.

I like what he wrote period, he gave his side of things and wants to do the best he can. I like the guy.

Agree with you Loaf, I've liked the guy for some time. Comes across as intelligent and well spoken and not just because of his comments about Seattle or Wilson.

I don't really respect his hold out though. As much as I would like to see him rape the Niners I can't ignore that he was grossly overpaid on his last contract that he never truly lived up to. They paid him on potential and paid him as the highest paid TE in league history on his last contract and now he has a good year and feels under paid? Like the guy but he is either a me first person or he really isn't happy in Santa Clara. I'm voting on the not happy.

As for the Niners this is Karma. They took away 2 million dollars from Brown last offseason for missing voluntary workouts and I know it was Brown and his agents fault but no matter how you slice it the Niners benefited from it. They may have even felt obligated because they didn't want to set a bad example but in the end they did and the example they set was watch out for yourself.

The Niners could have contacted Brown when learning he wasn't going and made sure he knew what he would be losing and it was the Niner's FO that dug the contract up several months after the event and then executed the clause. All in all it just comes across as not taking care of your players and showing those players they better watch out for themselves because the FO obviously isn't going to.

They did give him $300,000 to whatever charity he chose but in the end that is pittance for what they took and Brown ended up signing with the Raiders for similar money to what the Niners were offering. Yes it is a 1 year prove it deal but he could have easily gotten the same contract from Santa Clara if he wanted to. Instead he chose to sign with the worst team in football. Kind of surprised we didn't make him a similar offer. I bet he would have taken it just to spike them. And then had career games against them like Sherman and Baldwin.

NINEster

Reaction score
Some (most?) of Kaepernick's most impressive deep throws of his career have been to Davis (AZ game 1, Tampa last year). When Davis is used in the game plan properly, he is a force with any QB.

As far as Wilson vs. Kaepernick in this "clutch" gene aspect, the only thing I'm willing to concede at this point is that Wilson plays the risk averse role better than Kaepernick (as did Alex Smith). But a lot of this is timing also, as those two strip sack fumbles by Bowman and Aldon Smith at the end of a game (as opposed to the very first set of downs) would have been disastrous. They were every bit as bone headed and unclutch as Kaepernick's turnovers prior to the game ending INT in the NFCC.

The quick take argument that Wilson > Kaepernick is that he has a better mix of talent/risk aversion than CK. If I want a truly superior passer in the pocket and on the run than CK, I'd look to Aaron Rodgers way before Wilson. It took how many games for Wilson to be recognized as a good QB? As opposed to how many starts for Kaepernick?

Additionally when FORCED to make something happen with the game on the line in the final drive, Wilson hasn't exactly been Montana like in every game he's played:

vs. 49ers 2012 Candlestick final drive - turnover on downs/safety
vs. 49ers 2013 Candlestick final drive - interception
vs. Cardinals 2013 Century Link final drive - interception

Then there are other games that are worthy of comment:

vs. Cardinals first career game - if this was Kaepernick, the QB not the WR would be blamed for the incomplete pass.
vs. Packers - lucky
vs. Falcons 2012 playoffs (before halftime) - time expiring like a boss

Wilson has had his fair share of disappointing ends to games but Kaepernick has had two games end in disappointing fashion on a grand, grand stage and is unfairly depicted as not clutch. In both games he was moving the ball best at the very end compared to earlier in the games.

The story on these two will continue to be told, and maybe in a few years we'll have a better idea. Homerism aside, there will never be a clear answer as many NFL fans are still divided on Peyton Manning vs. Tom Brady.

So yeah, 49er fans aren't exactly clamoring for Wilson. Maybe what we are clamoring for is for our OC to maximize our offense's talent more and our secondary to not have to put our QB in precarious situations.