Vernon Davis: Russell Wilson is the best QB in the NFL...

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
I don't really care if Davis wishes Wilson was his quarterback or not. I do take this as evidence of something I've believed for quote some time, though: namely that the people who actually play with and against Wilson have a much higher opinion of him than the so-called media "experts" who write him off as nothing more than a "game manager" because he doesn't light up the fantasy football stat sheet week after week.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":1hh5yvgf said:
I don't really care if Davis wishes Wilson was his quarterback or not. I do take this as evidence of something I've believed for quote some time, though: namely that the people who actually play with and against Wilson have a much higher opinion of him than the so-called media "experts" who write him off as nothing more than a "game manager" because he doesn't light up the fantasy football stat sheet week after week.

...I think you are dramatically overselling the medias skepticism in regards to Wilson.

You guys used top be able to sell the "disrespected" card, but not anymore. Do peeps think of Wilson right now in the Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Manning argument? No. Its not a lack of respect. Its simply the fact that he isn't asked to do as much because they are a balanced team.

By and large though, most of the media is pretty damn impressed with Wilson...and they should be.

camdawg

Reaction score
NINEster":nawi5d18 said:
Some (most?) of Kaepernick's most impressive deep throws of his career have been to Davis (AZ game 1, Tampa last year). When Davis is used in the game plan properly, he is a force with any QB.

As far as Wilson vs. Kaepernick in this "clutch" gene aspect, the only thing I'm willing to concede at this point is that Wilson plays the risk averse role better than Kaepernick (as did Alex Smith). But a lot of this is timing also, as those two strip sack fumbles by Bowman and Aldon Smith at the end of a game (as opposed to the very first set of downs) would have been disastrous. They were every bit as bone headed and unclutch as Kaepernick's turnovers prior to the game ending INT in the NFCC.

The quick take argument that Wilson > Kaepernick is that he has a better mix of talent/risk aversion than CK. If I want a truly superior passer in the pocket and on the run than CK, I'd look to Aaron Rodgers way before Wilson. It took how many games for Wilson to be recognized as a good QB? As opposed to how many starts for Kaepernick?

Additionally when FORCED to make something happen with the game on the line in the final drive, Wilson hasn't exactly been Montana like in every game he's played:

vs. 49ers 2012 Candlestick final drive - turnover on downs/safety
vs. 49ers 2013 Candlestick final drive - interception
vs. Cardinals 2013 Century Link final drive - interception

Then there are other games that are worthy of comment:

vs. Cardinals first career game - if this was Kaepernick, the QB not the WR would be blamed for the incomplete pass.
vs. Packers - lucky
vs. Falcons 2012 playoffs (before halftime) - time expiring like a boss

Wilson has had his fair share of disappointing ends to games but Kaepernick has had two games end in disappointing fashion on a grand, grand stage and is unfairly depicted as not clutch. In both games he was moving the ball best at the very end compared to earlier in the games.

The story on these two will continue to be told, and maybe in a few years we'll have a better idea. Homerism aside, there will never be a clear answer as many NFL fans are still divided on Peyton Manning vs. Tom Brady.

So yeah, 49er fans aren't exactly clamoring for Wilson. Maybe what we are clamoring for is for our OC to maximize our offense's talent more and our secondary to not have to put our QB in precarious situations.

Hi NINEster,

You knew this was coming when you made this post. :)

First, let's talk about Russell. Yes, he's not been perfect. Although his receivers had three terrible drops that kept the Hawks from having a multi score lead in the 2012 Candlestick game, Russell should've been better in those last 20 minutes.

As you knew when you were typing it, pretty misleading to include the 2013 Candlestick game as "not being Montana clutch". Yeah, he threw a pick, because he got the ball at his 16 yard line with 26 seconds left. And no timeouts to stop the clock after a first down. Like any QB in that spot, he can only chuck it down field and hope he gets lucky.

Regarding your comments about Russell's several late game disappointments, vs. what you seem to suggest are only two by Colin, let's give Colin the same scrutiny you're giving Russell.

Neither game in St. Louis was a picnic for Russell, but I don't think you'll ever see a performance like Colin's 2012 Rams game, where he was a deer in headlights. Not just one shockingly dumb play (the safety), no, it was topped by an even more stupid play (the option pitch). You'll probably never see anything this bad from Russell, ever.

Nor will Russell ever give off the scared little boy in need of his mommy vibe that Colin did in his first two games in Seattle. And if we're talking about non-clutch games, how about Colin's 91 yards passing in his loss to the Panthers? Tough defense, yes, If you had to bring up Russell's Candlestick pick, how about Colin's game ender against the Panthers? Same field position, but Colin had a full minute to work with. Definitely some non-clutch play by Colin in this game.

Tough to blame Colin for the end of the Super Bowl against Baltimore. That said, if not for a power outage, you might've been looking at a 30 point loss to the Ravens. He deserves some blame for that.

If Colin were in Russell's shoes for game 1, 2012 at Glendale, no one would blame him for the end if he gave not just one, but two wideouts the chance to win the game, as Russell did with Baldwin and Edwards.

But we all enjoy that Colin still hasn't figured out that no matter who his receiver is, throwing a fade against Richard Sherman to try to win a game is never the right answer....except for the Seahawks. :D

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":280q2sow said:
...I think you are dramatically overselling the medias skepticism in regards to Wilson.

You guys used top be able to sell the "disrespected" card, but not anymore. Do peeps think of Wilson right now in the Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Manning argument? No. Its not a lack of respect. Its simply the fact that he isn't asked to do as much because they are a balanced team.

By and large though, most of the media is pretty damn impressed with Wilson...and they should be.

Marvin, you completely missed the point. I am not criticizing the media for not putting Russell Wilson up with Brees, Rodgers, etc. As I stated very clearly, I was criticizing members of the media who label Wilson a "game manager." (In other words, they label Wilson not as a player that isn't asked to do too much, but as a player that is not capable of doing more than not screwing things up for his talented teammates.). Jeffri Chadiha and Marcellus Wiley are two examples of media members who have made this very argument. Google "Wilson game manager" if you want more; hell, the argument was so widespread that Troy Aikman felt the need to bring it up while he was calling the Super Bowl.

And the argument that Wilson is nothing more than a "game manager" IS a lack of respect (and is also idiotic.) I'm not calling out the entire media, but I'm definitely calling out the clowns who so casually dismiss him.

evergreen

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1gcwlqbd said:
BASF":1gcwlqbd said:
As far as the actual topic, I don't think anyone can actually make a case that Wilson is better than Rodgers.

Well, Vernon Davis just did, and he actually played Rodgers twice last season and four times in the last two...

:stirthepot:
Well, he's got a lot more experience watching Russell Wilson beat the Niners than watching Rogers do it. As for the NFCCG being the greatest game he's been in that would include the Super Bowl and another NFCCG and the Division game against the Saints when he made the Catch II. Harbough said something about it being the greatest game he's been associated with too.

As for all the kaep is crap stuff that's crazy. Dude is awesome. If we were QB-less we'd be so jealous of all that youth and talent. Except for the Seahawks, that guy is All World.

As for Rogers/Brady/Manning/elite talk, Is it just a coincidence then that RW is so awesome so often. Go find a highlight of them doing wh at he did to get it to Zach Miller on a crucial 3rd down leadins only 17-14.(sorry can't find a video).I agree the mishandling of the ball down at the 1 was epic Bozoness by Marshawn and Wilson. Remember Hasselbeck and Alexander doing that in OT against the Bears in the 2006 Division round? I don't think the nonfumble was anticlutch by Kearse though, he was fighting for yards and he got stood up and mugged and that's when that happens. It was an amazing play by Bowman. We would've been far better off if they'd have gotten it then instead of the next play.

It won't be long before people quit pointing to Rogers as the reason Wilson isn't the best...

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I'm surprised Vernon said all of that. His maturity has really impressed me as of late.

I think his statements were more a sign of respect, opposed to him wishing he was on our team or Wilson
being his QB.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1ndm4r0r said:
I think his statements were more a sign of respect, opposed to him wishing he was on our team or Wilson
being his QB.

You're being entirely too sensible and reasonable. Cut it out! ;)

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
camdawg":cixgv78u said:
But we all enjoy that Colin still hasn't figured out that no matter who his receiver is, throwing a fade against Richard Sherman to try to win a game is never the right answer....except for the Seahawks. :D

It is really epic stuff. I get the feeling that there was a lot of ego involved with that last throw. Once the Niners made the 4th down, the Hawks gave them a lot more space in the middle. CK completes a couple passes, to the left and middle and wanted to get a game winner on Sherman so they could shut him up with a win in his face. They made a conscious choice to go at Sherman.

Even the guy sitting behind me (who I have hugged at least 4 times since 2006 and still don't know his name) was grabbing my shoulders and shaking me, screaming "we got the end zone now, here comes the pick!!!" before the play. We embraced yet again, both jumping, slipping and falling to the row in front of me (124 L, right where the tip happened)

Then we hear the Sound FX clips of Sherman predicting the try on him, even RW said he knew they were going to do it. With that, CK displays his lack of intelligence by claiming he would take that every time, even though he can't throw a proper fade. We love you Kaeperchoke.

PS: Im pretty sure that I severed my spine on a seat back when we fell, paralyzing me, but the adrenaline experience instantly healed me.