via con dios, Sherman, the writings on the wall

Seafan

Reaction score
Sherman is gone. But he does have one more year here. Sherman is more replaceable than ET. I've expected this for a couple years.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Sherman is incredibly intelligent. I think he found his loophole in the system and is exploiting it.

The NFL really does not market its players other than the QBs, on a one-off basis they do but in general no.

Sherman repeated the Neon Deion process. He created a brand and is actively marketing it. I think even the MMQB column is part of his process to increase name recognition/visibility. Back when people were telling him to stop worrying about whether he was better than Revis or not, only a few realized that it was just the opening shot at getting his name in lights.

The thing is, he is creating a legend surrounding what/who he is and then marketing/capitalizing off it. Leaving puts him a situation of uncertainty since he is reliant on the abilities of his surrounding players to really stand out (since shutting down your side of the field in a 30 point loss doesn't really keep your name in lights, probowl or no). Guys like Brady and Rodgers get endorsements but really don't get a huge amount from it. Maybe 1/3 of their total comp, if that.

But, since Sherman has craftily marketed himself, separate from the NFL, he CAN control his brand. He already somehow in the span of a little over a week, generally changed public opinion from being hated to being liked. That is something that demonstrates acumen and an understanding of marketing, sentiment and sales. He sold the public a different Richard Sherman the moment he got the spotlight after, and they bought it greedily. He did what many CMOs are struggling to do now with their own brands.

I think he has the ability to turn his brand into a machine to generate multiple streams of revenue beyond salary. That would change things, and it certainly wouldn't hurt for him to have access to the resources/personnel in Allen's resource pool to accomplish this.

Still, it all hinges not on getting a big check but instead on being successful enough that your brand is compelling and marketable. Which means it might be in his best interest to take less so that Seattle can keep its talent.

Because the example of Revis shows what can happen to your brand if you don't. We will see, but there is incentive for Sherman to take a little less in the front end so he can make more from the seeds he is already planting. Most players don't do this because they take advice from people have a vested interest in the contract raise (they get the %), but Sherman is just ballsy enough that he might control his own financial decisions more than most.

Steve2222

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3vu0wor0 said:
Steve2222":3vu0wor0 said:
Uncle Si":3vu0wor0 said:
Tical21":3vu0wor0 said:
You're BS crazy if you don't think both of these players will be the highest paid players at their positions. The Seahawks are already over the cap, and that is without Bennett, Breno, McDonald/Daniel, Hauschka, Robinson, etc. And they're going to come up with 45 more million per year to sign Sherman/Thomas and Wilson within the next 13 months. Sorry, but there is just about zero chance that they get all three, even if they cut Red, Clemons, Rice and Miller. And after these four guys are gone, they don't look like they're going to have dead money they can cut to make more room in future seasons.

If they do sign all three (Wilson, Sherm, Earl), they aren't signing Bennett, Tate, Breno, Hauschka, whoever is up next year, the year after that, or the year after that, and they aren't bringing anybody in. I've tried to stay very optimistic, but I don't see any possible way that they can keep all three. Even two is going to make the cap room extremely cozy.

a. the Seahawks are not over the cap
b. there are a number of players coming off the books who will lower the cap
c. the cap goes up every year
d. you dont get paid to figure those things out. people who do and are good at it will find a way.

the consensus is that Wilson will work to ensure his next contract will allow the team to be successful. Thomas strikes me as doing something similar. They want to win.

as for Sherman, let's think a bit about who he is. He's the center of attention. He thrives on it. He needs it. Taking big money to go play for a team that wont be competitive, that doesnt have that chance year in/year out to reach a super bowl is not what he wants. He can make his money in endorsements. He wants to be on national tv, he wants to be deep in the playoffs, he wants to be interviews, etc.

for once, Seahawk fans, try and really enjoy what just happened. winning can have a massive impact on athletes decisions.

Ocho Cinco was able to make his presence felt on an average to above average team....Terrell Oens got plenty of attention on average to above average teams. You don't have to be on elite teams to make the media every week.

Both of them were WR...Sherman is a CB

I fail to see how that's relevant.....

HawkWow

Reaction score
jblaze":wrdy41tf said:
The other thing that is interesting from a salary perspective in 2013 and even heading into 2014 is that a lot of guys hit their escalators in their contracts this year due to pro bowls or all-pro seasons.

I vote NO on the escalators. New rule...you have to actually be chosen by either of the egomaniacs, Deion or Rice, to get your escalator. That should save us money next year, too. Problem solved.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
What a great article! Sherman's articles can sometimes be fascinating and heartfelt with inside info and technical details. The topic title is a lie, though. You got seven pages of people to click on it--congratulations on that. He was talking about Bennet leaving obviously.

jblaze

Reaction score
Yeah I heard JS say yesterday on an interview that he's had lots of free agents calling him to ask if they can come play here. JS said he's had to tell "most" of them that he's not interested.

How cool is it that you have free agents (not agents) calling a team to come play for them? 4 years ago no one would come to Seattle unless we overpaid them. This culture that Pete and JS have created is going to sustain us for the long haul. I believe Pete when he says we're just getting started!

OP
OP
Rocket

Rocket

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":rmmdamrf said:
Still, it all hinges not on getting a big check but instead on being successful enough that your brand is compelling and marketable. Which means it might be in his best interest to take less so that Seattle can keep its talent.

Because the example of Revis shows what can happen to your brand if you don't. We will see, but there is incentive for Sherman to take a little less in the front end so he can make more from the seeds he is already planting. Most players don't do this because they take advice from people have a vested interest in the contract raise (they get the %), but Sherman is just ballsy enough that he might control his own financial decisions more than most.

He introduces his brother as his manager, or so I read somewhere. I'd bet he's in complete control.

chris98251

Reaction score
First trust in JS, secondly Earl said post game that LOB is going to be here for a long time, I think they have already had conversations. Sherman has generated a marketing machine for himself, he is making bank. How could he buy $25,000 headphones for the team if he wasn't, at least thats what the number estimated was for the gold plated ones that we seen Beastmode running around with.

Also our core is on Defense Thomas the greasy wheel that makes our schemes possible, Kam the intimidator and what many call now the best SS in the game, Sherman the shutdown guy and also the get in your head guy. They are all workaholics in the film room, they are young and can be signed and streched out for a good while. Shermans recognition of Maxwell as a great talent and that we will get to know him soon is a great endorcement as well, we can extend him as well at a more cost effective contract.

You have a window, you make things work, losers bitch about the cap it has been written, I tend to believe that, when was the last time you heard New England bitch about it, winners find a way, we may take a couple lumps but the core and identity will stay, it's who we are and what has made us a success. Pete said keeping it together is important, I think they have a plan.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Seeker":15x6k50k said:
Hey guys I just seen pete john and paul riding down the street heading to sherm, earl, and bennett's houses.
they were driving these and said "we keepin everybody!"
it was weird
jewel_brinks_060109.jpg
Hell yeah, baby!! Send one those to my house please!

lobohawk

Reaction score
Meh. Overwrought thread. He's just acknowledging the obvious, nfl is a business and the team may have changes next year. Not any kind of "pointed" comment.

Exittium

Reaction score
chris98251":3mzpyfcn said:
First trust in JS, secondly Earl said post game that LOB is going to be here for a long time, I think they have already had conversations. Sherman has generated a marketing machine for himself, he is making bank. How could he buy $25,000 headphones for the team if he wasn't, at least thats what the number estimated was for the gold plated ones that we seen Beastmode running around with.

Also our core is on Defense Thomas the greasy wheel that makes our schemes possible, Kam the intimidator and what many call now the best SS in the game, Sherman the shutdown guy and also the get in your head guy. They are all workaholics in the film room, they are young and can be signed and streched out for a good while. Shermans recognition of Maxwell as a great talent and that we will get to know him soon is a great endorcement as well, we can extend him as well at a more cost effective contract.

You have a window, you make things work, losers bitch about the cap it has been written, I tend to believe that, when was the last time you heard New England bitch about it, winners find a way, we may take a couple lumps but the core and identity will stay, it's who we are and what has made us a success. Pete said keeping it together is important, I think they have a plan.

:13: This right here i think nails it on the Head.

And whoever mentioned sherman has an ego, no he doesn't. He may seem like it because he's very well educated and spoken. I believe in himself he's truely a geeky numbers kid. From his laugh, to how at some of his press conferences he's geeking out about "geek nation" and what not. THE ONLY time it sounds like he has an EGO is more or less when the media or an opponent challenges him and disagree's with him being the number 1 CB in the league. When even then, its not ego, he relies on his stats, and uses them to validate his comments of being the number 1 CB in the league. And I like many feel that the LOB have had conversations amongst themselves, as I think they all know this is a winner formula pete has

hoxrox

Reaction score
Reading between the lines, I think the LOB has talked about wanting to build a legacy. They know they make each other better, and they want to do what they can to keep that in tact. They want to be the best secondary to ever play the game.

His comment about Bennett is basically saying, Bennett deserves to get to paid and we'll be OK if he gets paid elsewhere. Sherm knows we can't pay everyone, and when it comes to making the tough choices, he'd rather be the one to stay.

theascension

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3r2qnpj0 said:
Sherman is incredibly intelligent. I think he found his loophole in the system and is exploiting it.
But, since Sherman has craftily marketed himself, separate from the NFL, he CAN control his brand. He already somehow in the span of a little over a week, generally changed public opinion from being hated to being liked. That is something that demonstrates acumen and an understanding of marketing, sentiment and sales. He sold the public a different Richard Sherman the moment he got the spotlight after, and they bought it greedily. He did what many CMOs are struggling to do now with their own brands.

This is very true. I think looking at Revis and how forgotten that team was this year is something Sherman would hate. If you want to be 'the best' in terms of presence AND skill you have to be on a great team or you're sort of forgotten. I'm sure he realizes that. Sherman on the Jaguars is a non-media non-tv endorsed athlete who just would get a big paycheck and be out of the playoffs for years.

themunn

Reaction score
Given how Sherman talks about his dad, who goes to work every day driving a garbage truck so that he can earn his pension, even though his son has enough money to support him without ever working a day again, I think he's pretty grounded over how "important" money is

Kakaww

Reaction score
Walter Jones, Cortez Kennedy, Kenny Easley

Those are the only guys in Seahawks history to be selected first team all pro more than Sherm and Earl. Elite players don't fall off trees which is why all three of these guys played their entire careers with Seattle. The only other player with two is Steve Hutchinson who, via "poison pill," took flight against the will of the team. Recall the fallout and effect that had on our team?

I would say that the foundation of this team is Russell, Sherman, Earl and Okung. Everyone else is replaceable in my opinion, so long as that core remains intact. Ofcourse, everyone won't need to be replaced, but I would much rather we have to find another Tate and Bennett through the draft or free agency than let potential HOF'ers walk. Oversimplification perhaps, but you get the idea.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Kakaww":3dw08lqe said:

Those are the only guys in Seahawks history to be selected first team all pro more than Sherm and Earl. Elite players don't fall off trees which is why all three of these guys played their entire careers with Seattle. The only other player with two is Steve Hutchinson who, via "poison pill," took flight against the will of the team. Recall the fallout and effect that had on our team?

I would say that the foundation of this team is Russell, Sherman, Earl and Okung. Everyone else is replaceable in my opinion, so long as that core remains intact. Ofcourse, everyone won't need to be replaced, but I would much rather we have to find another Tate and Bennett through the draft or free agency than let potential HOF'ers walk. Oversimplification perhaps, but you get the idea.

I disagree. I think the foundation of the team needs to be

Offense
1. Wilson
2. Harvin

Defense
1. Thomas
2. Kam
3. Sherman

These 5 players are ALL Elite players and the top or around the top of their positions IMO.

Im not sold on Okung. He is injury prone. He has missed like 20 something games in his 4 year career right? I def want to keep him and I think we will be able to pretty easily. He is making over 8million I believe so any restructure will prob be that or less.

A

Anonymous

This is getting good.

:snack:

Almost 3000 hits on this and only 130+ responses?

C'mon newbies (who haven't posted yet)..., perfect topic to get your feet wet on. :mrgreen:

Kakaww

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":17f7ekbl said:
Kakaww":17f7ekbl said:

Offense
1. Wilson
2. Harvin

Defense
1. Thomas
2. Kam
3. Sherman

These 5 players are ALL Elite players and the top or around the top of their positions IMO.

Im not sold on Okung. He is injury prone. He has missed like 20 something games in his 4 year career right? I def want to keep him and I think we will be able to pretty easily. He is making over 8million I believe so any restructure will prob be that or less.

To be fair, Harvin missed nearly this whole season. The team had a Super Bowl winning season in spite of that absence. Our deepest struggles this year was when our line was decimated, thus me choosing Okung. That said, I'm not completely sold on him either, but he can be built around.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Kakaww":3crpwlvd said:
WilsonMVP":3crpwlvd said:
Kakaww":3crpwlvd said:

Offense
1. Wilson
2. Harvin

Defense
1. Thomas
2. Kam
3. Sherman

To be fair, Harvin missed nearly this whole season. The team had a Super Bowl winning season in spite of that absence. Our deepest struggles this year was when our line was decimated, thus me choosing Okung. That said, I'm not completely sold on him either, but he can be built around.

I dont think Okung is ELITE though. Percy obv is when hes healthy. Outside of his injury last year into all of this year Harvin has been healthy. I wouldnt label him injury prone although some on here would. Okung has missed a few games almost every season I believe.

I think alot of people on here are going to be shocked at how explosive our offense is next year with a healthy Harvin. There is just so much you can do with him on the field and he opens everything up.