via con dios, Sherman, the writings on the wall

HawkWow

Reaction score
sc85sis":2gsti3k3 said:
HawkWow":2gsti3k3 said:
sc85sis":2gsti3k3 said:
Sorry, but this thread is lame. At no point in that article did Sherman imply he was leaving because the Hawks won't pay him. He's an RFA, so unless some team wants to pay him ridiculous money the Hawks can't match, he's not going anywhere this next season. And I think he's more of a team player than some of you give him credit.

Either way, the Super Bowl was just 5 days ago. Can we just enjoy it and trust John to do his job?

I've not seen any posts suggesting Sherm would be gone next year. I think the OP is considering a future without Sherman. I think like Pete, we are all enjoying this championship, bro...but I'd bet Pete isn't sitting around right now stroking his Lombardi.

Lots of posts in here suggesting this discussion should be off limits or taboo. That I don't understand. We have zero impact on any team related operations and if a thread appears it may bring someone down off their SB high, why even indulge in it?

After 37 years of virtual mediocrity, I can certainly understand fans strategizing what they think would be the wisest moves in getting us another title. That does not make those fans lesser fans than those refusing a glimpse at reality. In fact, probably the opposite is more true, even in spinning their wheels. No single component is more important than the team and that's all I'm seeing, feeling here.

Who looks forward to Sherm's departure? Raise your hand. Yeah, nobody.
The problem is that the original post assumes it's a foregone conclusion that Sherm is gone and that Sherm's MMQB article is somehow evidence that proves it. The article doesn't even reference Sherm's personal situation. If anything, you could say he assumes he will stay with the team based in his use of "we" and "us" throughout.

Agreed sir. The title is a bit dramatic. But even so, I didn't get the impression he was talking immediate future. But I do understand how the title could wind people up a bit, too. Whether that was his intention, or he was just showing off his foreign language skills (or chili recipes, lol) I am uncertain and respect your vantage.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Rocket":3ad2okhr said:
Steve2222":3ad2okhr said:
I honestly think Sherm is going to want to be the highest paid Corner. I really have no doubt.

that.

The ultimate reversal of the slight of his being drafted late is winning The Show, which he's done, followed closely by MONEY. I'd bet that he has some form of a looped video of Cuba saying "show me the money" playing in his bedroom at night.

Note that this is, in no form, a dig at Richard Sherman... I'd do the same thing. It's not just an adventure, it's his JOB.

Exactly. I wouldn't fault the man either. Money talks and even I would live in Cleveland or whatever if I meant I was making that kind of money.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1pidyfjt said:
Steve2222":1pidyfjt said:
Uncle Si":1pidyfjt said:
a. the Seahawks are not over the cap
b. there are a number of players coming off the books who will lower the cap
c. the cap goes up every year
d. you dont get paid to figure those things out. people who do and are good at it will find a way.

the consensus is that Wilson will work to ensure his next contract will allow the team to be successful. Thomas strikes me as doing something similar. They want to win.

as for Sherman, let's think a bit about who he is. He's the center of attention. He thrives on it. He needs it. Taking big money to go play for a team that wont be competitive, that doesnt have that chance year in/year out to reach a super bowl is not what he wants. He can make his money in endorsements. He wants to be on national tv, he wants to be deep in the playoffs, he wants to be interviews, etc.

for once, Seahawk fans, try and really enjoy what just happened. winning can have a massive impact on athletes decisions.

Ocho Cinco was able to make his presence felt on an average to above average team....Terrell Oens got plenty of attention on average to above average teams. You don't have to be on elite teams to make the media every week.

Do you not see the difference in the media attention of Owens and Chad Johnson over Ricahrd Sherman?

Seriously?

What the hell does it matter? No matter what type of attention it is, if there's a will Theres a way. Huge personalities will spill threw regardless of what light it's in and regardless of what circumstance it's in.

Ocho, TO, and Sherm might have different personalities. However they all have larger than life personalities.

Exittium

Reaction score
He's fine and staying, you all are in freak out mode when you should relax, enjoy this 5 DAY OLD SB win, and just let PC/JS do their thing. These threads I view more as doom and gloom, and just makes me hesitant because really its not very constructive, I mean for example I'm all for talking about draft choices and what not.. but we have a dedicated area for it. And its better then freaking our and going into doom and gloom mode.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":q4od18dw said:
Sgt. Largent":q4od18dw said:
MizzouHawkGal":q4od18dw said:
They are 2-3 million UNDER the cap without making a move such as cutting Clemons or restructuring Rice etc.

Actually they're currently 4.25 million over the projected 2014 cap.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... rter-reign
That's a projection for 2014 not our current situation which is 2.85 million under the cap without making a move. At least read ALL of your article.

Why would you say something that is now irrelevant? Who cares if we're 2.85 million under the cap now, the season's over.

What matters is what has to happen in 2014.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":36gdemh3 said:
MizzouHawkGal":36gdemh3 said:
Sgt. Largent":36gdemh3 said:
MizzouHawkGal":36gdemh3 said:
They are 2-3 million UNDER the cap without making a move such as cutting Clemons or restructuring Rice etc.

That's a projection for 2014 not our current situation which is 2.85 million under the cap without making a move. At least read ALL of your article.

Why would you say something that is now irrelevant? Who cares if we're 2.85 million under the cap now, the season's over.

That projection assumes all RFAs are retained and expiring deals are kept at their current levels. It also assumes no one is cut or restructured. It is relatively useless for projecting flexibility.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2mwy4g51 said:
Rocket":2mwy4g51 said:
Steve2222":2mwy4g51 said:
I honestly think Sherm is going to want to be the highest paid Corner. I really have no doubt.

that.

The ultimate reversal of the slight of his being drafted late is winning The Show, which he's done, followed closely by MONEY. I'd bet that he has some form of a looped video of Cuba saying "show me the money" playing in his bedroom at night.

Note that this is, in no form, a dig at Richard Sherman... I'd do the same thing. It's not just an adventure, it's his JOB.

great attitude... and its backed up so well by Sherman's career path so far.

jesus....

What career path? Has his career path yet shown us what he's going to do when he gets his first payday. How many star, elite players in any sport have ever taken a hometown discount?

This is just a case of wishful thinking from hometown fans thinking these players are all going to come together and take one for the team. It has never happened. At the end of the day, it's cliche, but it's true. Football is first and foremost a business. Get yours when you can.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I won't freak out if he leaves,getting CB's and developing them is PC's strength..It will hurt no doubt but we will be able to keep more people together...The team is not 1 man...

Steve2222

Reaction score
sc85sis":qtbpalfi said:
Sorry, but this thread is lame. At no point in that article did Sherman imply he was leaving because the Hawks won't pay him. He's an RFA, so unless some team wants to pay him ridiculous money the Hawks can't match, he's not going anywhere this next season. And I think he's more of a team player than some of you give him credit.

Either way, the Super Bowl was just 5 days ago. Can we just enjoy it and trust John to do his job?

OPs not talking about this year. The OP thinks that quote is foreshadowing what Sherms mindset is going to be when his day comes to be a free agent. Which I agree with OP.

Steve2222

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2jo2ouoc said:
I won't freak out if he leaves,getting CB's and developing them is PC's strength..It will hurt no doubt but we will be able to keep more people together...The team is not 1 man...

This. Ultimately the only player on this team that can't go anywhere is Russell Wilson. As long as we have him, this team will always be in the hunt.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":32ai73os said:
MizzouHawkGal":32ai73os said:
Sgt. Largent":32ai73os said:
MizzouHawkGal":32ai73os said:

Your post is irrelevant because the fact is we are under the cap without the moves and options we will make and have at our disposal.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
You guys really underestimate how much Sherman and Earl's leadership and intelligence has helped boost all the DBs around them. Thinking Lane is going to step in and be the next Sherman is a sadly misinformed opinion. You don't drop the best player at their position. Sorry.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Steve2222":3qa3y7mh said:
sc85sis":3qa3y7mh said:

OPs not talking about this year. The OP thinks that quote is foreshadowing what Sherms mindset is going to be when his day comes to be a free agent. Which I agree with OP.
Could you give me this week's Powerball numbers then? Since it seems you read minds and know the future.

Steve2222

Reaction score
DavidSeven":fndnyb01 said:
You guys really underestimate how much Sherman and Earl's leadership and intelligence has helped boost all the DBs around them. Thinking Lane is going to step in and be the next Sherman is a sadly misinformed opinion. You don't drop the best player at their position. Sorry.

You underestimate how well Pete is at developing talent (especially in the secondary) and Schneiders eye for finding talent.

Steve2222

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":33updsl7 said:
Steve2222":33updsl7 said:
sc85sis":33updsl7 said:

Could you give me this week's Powerball numbers then? Since it seems you read minds and know the future.

Lol you don't have to be a mind reader to see the undertones of that quote.

formido

Reaction score
The writing isn't on the wall, either now or in the future. As long as Sherman stays healthy and plays at this level, he'll almost certainly still be a Seahawk. He is the best corner in the NFL and had the play with the highest single positive change in win probability, .50, in a game for the Seahawks this year, and it just happened to be at the clutchest moment possible, taking Seattle to the Super Bowl. In case you haven't noticed, players like that don't grow on trees. A salary cap with no max salary requires you to "economize" and use "cunning fiscal strategies":

http://skepticalsports.com/?p=1076

...which can often mean cutting "beloved" players who are no longer worth their value. However, none of the strategies in the referenced article include "let go a legit DPoY (and should be MVP candidate) and probable future Hall of Famer even though his value is in excess even of what he's likely to make on the open market" because that would be an extremely foolish strategy.

jblaze

Reaction score
Thomas will get extended this offseason, his cap number will be accelerated in 2014 to be a bigger hit so that to allow RW to get extended in 2015. RW gets extended in 2015 and accelerated in 2015 for a bigger cap hit. Sherman will be franchise tagged. 2015 will be a tough year for salary cap and some tough decisions will have to be made for the Hawks.

Sherman will get his contract in 2016. How much that is depends on how he performs in 2014 and 2015. Maintaining this type of production will be difficult especially given that no one will throw his direction anymore so his numbers should decline in regards to interceptions and passes defensed. Of course there are always other stats that come into play with lockdown corners such as targets, opponent QBR when thrown at, etc that should be taken into consideration.

Also of note here is that in 2015 the salary cap is expected to raise significantly due to network tv contracts taking effect. Teams have been restructuring and building contracts with that inevitability because they'll be able to afford more then. It's thought that the cap may increase 10-15%. It would be a good idea to target that year for a big contract because teams are pushing back money and contracts to then to sign elite players what they deserve and they're using it as a carrot before the horse incentive.

We should be able to retain Kam, ET and Sherm but it will be at the cost of our linebacking corp more likely. It will be impossible to sign Irvin, Wagner, Smith and Wright to the kind of contracts they deserve. This is not unexpected however and their obvious philosophy revolves around pass rushers and secondary. In the current NFL, this could be effective for a very long time.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Steve2222":c6t0zidx said:
DavidSeven":c6t0zidx said:

You underestimate how well Pete is at developing talent (especially in the secondary) and Schneiders eye for finding talent.

No, I don't underestimate that. Which is why he'll pay Sherman just like he paid Kam.

Latest posts