Walter Jones throws shadow on Alexander...

THE TABS

Reaction score
Five words...STABBED ME IN THE BACK!

That was SA after the final game of 2004, after Mike Holmgren gave him a breather and it cost him the rushing title.

He was a ME guy, and not a WE guy. That's how I remember him.

BASF

Reaction score
THE TABS":26vvvalw said:

That was SA after the final game of 2004, after Mike Holmgren gave him a breather and it cost him the rushing title.

As opposed to this when not getting his number called at the goal line:
110403.jpg

Seems pretty much the same to me.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":palcn28p said:
Alexander was able to extend runs because of our receivers mostly Joe Jaravicious. He was so good at blocking CB's and safeties down the field.
I really believe once Joe left, Alexander's production went down as well, check the stats.

Don't let facts get in the way of your narrative.

CPHawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1m8hxudb said:
Natethegreat":1m8hxudb said:
I actually think Alexander was the better back to be running behind that awesome line to be honest. In fact I'm not sure Beastmode would have had a lot, or even any more total yards, as he isn't as fast as Alexander.
I guarantee Alexander would have had far less behind our current line though. Both backs were the right type of back for the line they had really.

I've seen at least 3 posts referring to Lynch's speed or lack there of it. Why do many think MA is not fast? Lynch runs a 4.46 40 which is faster than any 40 time I can find on SA. It is also the exact same 40 time Rawls ran.

4.46 at 21, and much lighter than what he was as a hawk.

Barthawk

Reaction score
THE TABS":15u3z15b said:

He didn't give him a breather, he chose to do a QB sneak at the 1 instead of giving it to Shaun at the goal line.. to be fair, it was a good call at the time. What was not, was the fact that the defense let a back-up QB named Matt Schaub take the ball and drive down the field for last 4-5 minutes and darn near tie the game we desperately needed to win (completely meaningless game for ATL too).

Marcus Bell, Kaz and Koutevides were our starting LBs at the time too..

THE TABS

Reaction score
BASF":1rlckl93 said:
As opposed to this when not getting his number called at the goal line: Seems pretty much the same to me.

Fair point. If things weren't rolling as well as they were at the time, that could have become a major issue. To me, it's been moments like that where Pete has truly earned his money, in addition to the Percy Harvin debacle. The way he's been able to smooth things over and keep the team on point has been masterful.

Marshawn was no saint, but I appreciate what he did here. We took a risk in trading for him, and it couldn't have worked out any better.

I'd say the difference between Marshawn and Shaun was that Marshawn loved the game, while Shaun loved what the game provided for him. Marshawn answered the bell every single time, despite having a chronically bad back for the last three years. Shaun, on the other hand, ran not to get hurt after he got his big contract extension.

BASF

Reaction score
THE TABS":1dkpdu3n said:
Marshawn answered the bell every single time, despite having a chronically bad back for the last three years. Shaun, on the other hand, ran not to get hurt after he got his big contract extension.

This is my main problem with the SA detractors. After his big contract extension on Mar 5, 2006 his very first game on Sept. 6, 2006 the Detroit Lions fractured his foot I believe in the second quarter. He finished that game. He also played two more games before it finally got to the point where he would admit that it was truly fractured after claiming that God would heal his foot. When he returned to play in week 10, he simply was not the same player. It is his fault for believing that his faith would heal him and playing on it. It was stupid, but to sit there and say that after he got paid he was playing not to get injured when he was injured in his first game with the contract is disingenuous.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
Shaun - very good back, good speed (better than Lynch) but too soft and whiney at times (he wanted the ball in '04 against the Falcons I think...for some record, when the freaking game was on the line...not being a team player at all)

I'd take Lynch over him. For all his quirks and flakiness, Lynch always ran hard in games.

A

Anonymous

BASF":v0w7bd81 said:
THE TABS":v0w7bd81 said:

As opposed to this when not getting his number called at the goal line:
110403.jpg

Seems pretty much the same to me.

At first glance? Perhaps.

But, I wouldn't put it past Pete to toss in a few theatrics, utilizing ML's unique defense-drawing capabilities, to get a pretty frosty Cards secondary to think twice.

Case in point: Once Marshawn turned, stanced, and the ball was snapped, six more points appeared on the scoreboard.