Walter Jones throws shadow on Alexander...

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Yeah, I called him a slightly above average back. Sure he had some skills but sorry he never carried our team anywhere, our offensive line did. It is funny that I can still name everybody on our offensive line in 2005 but I struggle to name everyone off of our line this year. No Alexander wasn't chopped liver, he was dairy queen cone, fluffy pillows, and freshly shaven woman's legs.

sutz

Reaction score
Frankly, I thought Walt had a little more class than to say something like that. Kind of disappointing.

Atradees

Reaction score
sutz":1j4tgjp9 said:
Frankly, I thought Walt had a little more class than to say something like that. Kind of disappointing.

Very disappointing.

Alexander was a very fast and fluid athlete with vision. He gave me many happy memories.

Alexander the Great sometimes ran behind Pork Chop Womack and Sean Locklear. PLEASE.

That Oline greatest ever meh.....

Walter Jones, Hutch, Kevin Mawae, Pete Kendal and ? That would be a all time awesome line.

Hass2Carlson

Reaction score
I like women's freshly shaved legs...different backs with different skill sets. I'd take Lynch 9/10 but Alexander was a top 5 back in his prime

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Shaun Alexander was MVP and set the NFL record for TDs in a season. He didn't do it by himself, obviously, but this rear-looking narrative that somehow Shaun "wasn't that great" is incredibly stupid.

Lynch was a great back also. Which one would I pick? Fortunately I don't have to. We had the pleasure of seeing both play.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I always liked Alexander, but I LOVE Lynch. Lynch needs to be in the ring of honor, but it's hard to deny an NFL MVP that honor as well.

kearly

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":26x15jxq said:
themunn":26x15jxq said:
"All he had to do was make a linebacker or safety miss"

The thing is - that's what he did, time and time again. Marshawn can break tackles but those safeties and linebackers never got near Alexander, that's what made him a great back.

Alexander put up 1667 carries over a five year period (average 333 per year) without missing a game - and even in his 2006 injury season averaged 25 carries a game over the 10 game he played - including a 40 carry game against the Packers.

OK he didn't have the perception of toughness that Lynch has, but how many backs manage 333 carries in a single season let alone average it for 5 years? Lynch didn't hit that mark once in his career. No player in 2015 hit that mark, DeMarco Murray hit 392 last year and promptly disappeared this year, no player hit it in 2013 and 2012 is the only year since 2008 where more than one player has managed it.

Lack of toughness my ass.

Lynch is a great running back, but Rawls showed last year that his lack of speed left many yards on the field because safeties and linebackers could get to him and slow him down where a back like Alexander wouldn't have been touched in the first place.
You make too much sense.

Yup, good stuff.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":3g57r5zi said:
UK_Seahawk":3g57r5zi said:
scutterhawk":3g57r5zi said:
Kennedyin92":3g57r5zi said:
Cue the Alexander love in 3...2..1.
FIVE TD's in the first half against the Vikings.
Don't have a whole bunch of "Love" for SA, but I also don't have ANY reasons to piss on the guy......He was a SEAHAWK.
This.

I do.

Beastmode never made a single "personal decision" before the whistle blew. Ever.

SA, on the other hand, made several tackles happen all by himself, particularly in his last seasons as a Hawk.

Yes, I just said that.

There was a big difference in their running style........So what.
Alexander was also a PART of the Seahawks success in making it to Super Bowl XL with his 1,880 Yards..."Yes, I just said that"

scutterhawk

Reaction score
endzorn":3beu4grt said:
The way I see it Marshawn would have thrived behind that line and put up numbers the HOF couldn't ignore. If Alexander had run behind the lines Lynch has had he would have folded like a cheap tent.

And > IF < the dog hadn't stopped to take a shit, he'd have caught the tired old rabbit too.
I'm thinking it's NOT an either, or, as they were BOTH successful RB's that played for the Seahawks.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
storm74":1gqt3tyd said:
Yeah, I called him a slightly above average back. Sure he had some skills but sorry he never carried our team anywhere, our offensive line did. It is funny that I can still name everybody on our offensive line in 2005 but I struggle to name everyone off of our line this year. No Alexander wasn't chopped liver, he was dairy queen cone, fluffy pillows, and freshly shaven woman's legs.
Yes, and your unsolicited -> OPINION<- on SA means squat.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
scutterhawk":8xzng5hw said:
Yes, and your unsolicited -> OPINION<- on SA means squat.

You are absolutely right, but it isn't just my opinion. I am not saying that I hated Alexander, I am simply stating that I think he was soft.

McGruff

Reaction score
kearly":9v6nqtb7 said:
Tech Worlds":9v6nqtb7 said:
themunn":9v6nqtb7 said:

The thing is - that's what he did, time and time again. Marshawn can break tackles but those safeties and linebackers never got near Alexander, that's what made him a great back.

Alexander put up 1667 carries over a five year period (average 333 per year) without missing a game - and even in his 2006 injury season averaged 25 carries a game over the 10 game he played - including a 40 carry game against the Packers.

OK he didn't have the perception of toughness that Lynch has, but how many backs manage 333 carries in a single season let alone average it for 5 years? Lynch didn't hit that mark once in his career. No player in 2015 hit that mark, DeMarco Murray hit 392 last year and promptly disappeared this year, no player hit it in 2013 and 2012 is the only year since 2008 where more than one player has managed it.

Lynch is a great running back, but Rawls showed last year that his lack of speed left many yards on the field because safeties and linebackers could get to him and slow him down where a back like Alexander wouldn't have been touched in the first place.
You make too much sense.

Yup, good stuff.

I'm not a big Alexander fan, but I got agree with this line of thinking. Shaun didn't have to be tough or elusive because he accomplished with vision what Lynch does with power. Shaun was better than anyone at seeing the next defender and changing the angle with subtle shifts and changing gears.

A

Anonymous

kearly":2tnozbhw said:
Tech Worlds":2tnozbhw said:
themunn":2tnozbhw said:

You make too much sense.

Yup, good stuff.

Oh, you're correct here, munn. I my have been a bit harsh when it comes to Shaun being a pansy, but from a production standpoint, I get it, and I agree. Well said.

My point is that toward the end there, he was making business/personal decisions early into some runs that caused me to throw things at the wall around my TV screen. It seemed like SA saw the play was diagnosed, rarely adjusted, and when the pursuit was there, he took a knee. That may have been a little Holmy-isms worked into the brain, but I just think he went into self-preservation mode a little too early.

There were times when our O-linemen would even tell the D what was coming and SA would wheel trough it all with ease. He absolutely helped our team, and he didn't earn an MVP of the league for running the wrong way on the field. Kudos for what was accomplished. (Not to mention, he's one HELL of a nice guy to talk with).

Marshawn just makes those guys pay for being in his way when they see what's coming at them. Even when he was hurt. DB's made "business decisions" on Lynch. Never saw a DB ever give Alexander a whiff, they tacked the crap out of him.

A lot

Chapow

Reaction score
themunn":2cwh24t8 said:

Great post man.

The guy was a frickin warrior and carried a huge load for this team for 5 straight years. It really sucks that so many people just disregard or diminish what he did for this team for 5 straight years because of his final 2 injury plagued years here.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I seem to recall one person saying that Alexander will last a long time in the NFL. He just does not get hit. He escapes the punishment and does not get hit. That person and announcer was none other than Raider Coach and NFL announcer John Madden.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Alexander was able to extend runs because of our receivers mostly Joe Jaravicious. He was so good at blocking CB's and safeties down the field.
I really believe once Joe left, Alexander's production went down as well, check the stats.