Walter Jones to be inducted into the Ring of Honor on Sunday

ManBunts

Reaction score
Wow...I'm surprised this hasn't already happened. Oh what I wouldn't give to have Walt on the line right now...

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Who's next after Big Walt? Hasselbeck after he retires? Alexander? Holmgren? After that I could see a few of the current team make it in the future.

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/Walter_Jones_Ring_of_Honor_Press_Conference/61f7381f-1aa7-419a-9bd7-60cbc21bad50[/urltargetblank]

Walter Jones Press Conference discussing his induction into the ring of honor

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3lk4q4dx said:
Walt played consistently at not just a high, but a DOMINANT level for longer than any player in team history...it's not even close. Well deserved!
Steve Largent disagrees with you. So do I, and Big Walt's my favorite all-time Hawk. But if you didn't see Largent play in person, you have no idea how incredibly good he was.

HawkWow

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":tyriycql said:
HawKnPeppa":tyriycql said:
Walt played consistently at not just a high, but a DOMINANT level for longer than any player in team history...it's not even close. Well deserved!
Steve Largent disagrees with you. So do I, and Big Walt's my favorite all-time Hawk. But if you didn't see Largent play in person, you have no idea how incredibly good he was.

I feel ya' bro. But it's an argument that because of other factors, can neither be won nor lost, IMO. Throwing Tez into the mix makes the waters even muddier (aka great topic).

Like yourself and others, I doubt I missed a Largent catch. The guy was just beyond phenomenal, but if I were arguing for Walt, I could argue #80 squeeks into the top 10 at the position, while otoh, we can all argue, if not agree, Walt was the very best at his.

BUT there's a helleva lot more receivers out there than O or D -linemen. Size of humans alone dictates that. So maybe it's all a moot point and just impossible to compare men like Largent, who share practically the same size of every average man in this country, and Walt or Tez who are probably 1 out of 100,000.

I'm going to get through this by refusing to pick. But if I had to pick the player this current team would most benefit from, Largent would be 3rd and I'd just flip a coin between Tez and Walt. Happy as hell whether it lands heads or tails.

EDIT: And then after that exercise, I realize I am likely in the wrong thread, lol. Mentally, I was in the Walt, Tez or Largent? thread. Physically, I am not. My bad.

chris98251

Reaction score
There is one argument though I think we can all agree on, the tools that Walt and Tez had naturally were much better than Largent received, Largent excelled with much less given to him physically. All of them very intelligent and savvy about the game.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":22xxoilo said:
Who's next after Big Walt? Hasselbeck after he retires? Alexander? Holmgren? After that I could see a few of the current team make it in the future.

Mack Strong deserves consideration, and the fact that he was such a good guy off the field is something that should factor into the decision IMO.

As far as who I'd take, Largent or Walt, as much as like Largent, I'd have to cast my vote for Walt, and that's based more on the value of the position relative to today's game than it is on their individual ability. Wide receivers, especially WR's of Largent's type, the 'Y' receiver, possession, underneath type guys, are a dime a dozen. Granted, Largent was the best there was at what he did, great hands, instinctive route running, unparalleled foot work, but they are simply not as rare of a commodity as a stud left tackle that gets called for holding maybe twice a year.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RiverDog":ml2053cw said:
Stupid question: Why was Walt elected and inducted to the Pro Football HOF before we inducted him into our ROH? I get the feeling that we're a day late and a dollar short. He should have been in the ROH last year, before his trip to Canton. I assume that our standards for induction, including the amount of time they have to be out of the game, are a little lower than that of the HOF.
It was a technicality. This upcoming year should have been the year he was going in to the NFL HOF but he was hurt pretty much the last year he played. The NFL counted that last year for as "retired", Seattle didn't for their ROH. That is how he explained it on the radio yesterday. Big Walt is an awesome guy, sounds very proud of his career yet humble. As far as I am concerned the more Big Walt the better! :th2thumbs:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1mj9ec3f said:
RiverDog":1mj9ec3f said:
Stupid question: Why was Walt elected and inducted to the Pro Football HOF before we inducted him into our ROH? I get the feeling that we're a day late and a dollar short. He should have been in the ROH last year, before his trip to Canton. I assume that our standards for induction, including the amount of time they have to be out of the game, are a little lower than that of the HOF.
It was a technicality. This upcoming year should have been the year he was going in to the NFL HOF but he was hurt pretty much the last year he played. The NFL counted that last year for as "retired", Seattle didn't for their ROH. That is how he explained it on the radio yesterday. Big Walt is an awesome guy, sounds very proud of his career yet humble. As far as I am concerned the more Big Walt the better! :th2thumbs:

Thanks for the explanation.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RiverDog":1668uz8c said:
Sports Hernia":1668uz8c said:
RiverDog":1668uz8c said:

:13: Had no idea.........

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1fe3w0yl said:
HawKnPeppa":1fe3w0yl said:
I saw Largent play. I've been a fan since 1976. This thread is about Walter Jones, who consistently DOMINATED at his position almost every game until his final (injured) season. No other player has done that, including Largent. Largent is my second favorite Hawk, but this thread is NOT about him.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":pkez8ush said:
RiverDog":pkez8ush said:
Sports Hernia":pkez8ush said:
RiverDog":pkez8ush said:

:13: Had no idea.........
The only reason my stupid arse knew was I heard his interview with softy. 8)

RiverDog

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1d70tdb1 said:
hawksfansinceday1":1d70tdb1 said:
HawKnPeppa":1d70tdb1 said:
I saw Largent play. I've been a fan since 1976. This thread is about Walter Jones, who consistently DOMINATED at his position almost every game until his final (injured) season. No other player has done that, including Largent. Largent is my second favorite Hawk, but this thread is NOT about him.

IMO it's a natural extension to include Steve Largent, Cortez Kennedy, or other notable Hawks, particularly current or prospective members of the ROH, in a discussion within a thread with the OP being about Walter Jones induction into the ROH. It seems relevant to me.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RiverDog":16v06m6d said:
HawKnPeppa":16v06m6d said:
hawksfansinceday1":16v06m6d said:
HawKnPeppa":16v06m6d said:

IMO it's a natural extension to include Steve Largent, Cortez Kennedy, or other notable Hawks, particularly current or prospective members of the ROH, in a discussion within a thread with the OP being about Walter Jones induction into the ROH. It seems relevant to me.
Thanks RD. I meant no disrespect toward Walt or his induction.

Largent might've been as dominant at his position as Walt with QBs like Montana and Young throwing to him ala' Jerry Rice. We'll never know. What I do know is that watching him in person he made even the best DBs look foolish. Mike Haynes, who may have been the best DB in the league at the time always said Steve was his toughest matchup.

All that said, Big Walt may have been the best LT to ever play the game, certainly top 3 (Munoz is for sure in the conversation). My biggest regret as a Hawks fan is that he didn't get that so richly deserved championship in *XL. His performance that season was as dominant as any football player at any position could ever hope to have.