Washington at California

SeatownJay

Reaction score
drrew":3ry6h8wf said:
Petersen coached himself right out of a potential Rose Bowl berth.

Sun Bowl here we come?
Sun Bowl? This team is going to lose to both Stanford and WSU. 7-5 will get us the Cheez-It Bowl.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
justafan":3u3163tu said:
SeatownJay":3u3163tu said:
This loss is on the coaches, Petersen and Hamden.

Trying a new QB cost us the game
Maybe, maybe not. Browning could have just as easy thrown a pick or fumbled in that situation as he is not good.

.... but I do know one thing, if the starting QB wasn’t crapping the bed the whole game then it doesn’t happen because it’s a moot point! The coach was trying to light a fire under a severely underperforming SENIOR QB! It should have never come to that point.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SeatownJay":31axnbsr said:
drrew":31axnbsr said:
Petersen coached himself right out of a potential Rose Bowl berth.

Sun Bowl here we come?
Sun Bowl? This team is going to lose to both Stanford and WSU. 7-5 will get us the Cheez-It Bowl.
Might be the Trojan (used) Condom bowl at this point.
Next 2 games they should do nothing but hand the ball off.
Take the ball out of Browning’s hands completely.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Another poor outing by the Huskies. Without Gaskin, they are not very good. They haven’t been the same since the UCLA game.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Playcalling was awful. Hamden doesn't have it.

I get benching browning but playing haener was always a risk. Wish it was Oregon st or someone to throw him in.

Missed gaskin big time. Lack of pass rush is also a huge issue. Our secondary keep us in it but its bend not break a lot of the time.

Oregon is losing though, so it may not be the end of the world...

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2qwkw5tp said:
Playcalling was awful. Hamden doesn't have it.

I get benching browning but playing haener was always a risk. Wish it was Oregon st or someone to throw him in.

Missed gaskin big time. Lack of pass rush is also a huge issue. Our secondary keep us in it but its bend not break a lot of the time.

Oregon is losing though, so it may not be the end of the world...
Hamden is approaching Bevell level of suckitude. The guy is in love with the horizontal passing game.
Coaches that rely on bubble screens and horizontal passes are poor playcallers.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Browning hasn't been the same QB since he got hurt that year UW went to the playoff.
I don't understand how you get worse with experience but it happens with other QB's.
I think it's time for UW to find their next QB now (freshman can play 4 games).
This season is a wash and screw the bowl games..Like they deserve one?I also buy
in that their OC is trash so take that out and get a better one.

justafan

Reaction score
Browning has struggled but the whole offense has.2 WRs get drafted,Dissley gets drafted the OL is a shadow of what they were.

OC and QB get too much credit and too much blame.

I hate to see them sacrifice the season and a shot at a bowl game breaking in a new QB.
One of the big advantages of going to bowl games is the extra month or so of practice and an extra big game experience for the younger players.

They should have given him some series earlier in the year when the game wasnt on the line.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
justafan":9azyfkx3 said:
Browning has struggled but the whole offense has.2 WRs get drafted,Dissley gets drafted the OL is a shadow of what they were.

OC and QB get too much credit and too much blame.

I hate to see them sacrifice the season and a shot at a bowl game breaking in a new QB.
One of the big advantages of going to bowl games is the extra month or so of practice and an extra big game experience for the younger players.

They should have given him some series earlier in the year when the game wasnt on the line.
I forgot that benifit and absolutely it does help the younger players.
But it's time for the Browning era to end and the OC to go.
I watched highlights snd the JB I saw looked too slow to see jack crap
and that arm has no zip..I defended his ass on here but no more..
I think UW can still go to a decent bowl but you have to find reps for the
next QB ..One who will be there for 2-3 years and can LEAD,I can't
state that enough because that is the first thing..All you have to do is
look at N.Dame..Book is a leader and the play shows..Wimbush is
Not but has more upside (tools)than Book..
I hope the Ducks take Wimbush :lol:

sdog1981

Reaction score
Easson is going to stay HOPEFULLY for two seasons

D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":3k153shm said:
I dont like knee jerk reactions from coaches

Unless it works :)

This OC is a nightmare

^^^^This

Coach Petersen is a great program coach and for the most part a good game-day coach but for some inexplicable reason he is inclined to make absolutely horrible game-time decisions at the most critical times of the game.

Putting in a rookie QB that has NEVER played one single down against an FBS school when we are backed up on our own 10-yd line? It's freaking unbelievable? We all were mumbling, "he's going to throw an INT." No surprise there.

I think it can be reasonable argued that he has possibly cost us all three games this season. At the time of every one of those decisions I have been watching the game in a room with former college football players, and current high school football players. Virtually every single one of us was up yelling at the TV asking WTH he was doing each time!

D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":1w84lqa5 said:

This OC is a nightmare

Oh, and I forgot, yes this OC is a nightmare, and I have heard rumors that was part of the exchange between Jake and Coach Petersen on the sidelines.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1i6ml0cw said:
Uncle Si":1i6ml0cw said:

This OC is a nightmare

^^^^This

Coach Petersen is a great program coach and for the most part a good game-day coach but for some inexplicable reason he is inclined to make absolutely horrible game-time decisions at the most critical times of the game.

Putting in a rookie QB that has NEVER played one single down against an FBS school when we are backed up on our own 10-yd line? It's freaking unbelievable? We all were mumbling, "he's going to throw an INT." No surprise there.

I think it can be reasonable argued that he has possibly cost us all three games this season. At the time of every one of those decisions I have been watching the game in a room with former college football players, and current high school football players. Virtually every single one of us was up yelling at the TV asking WTH he was doing each time!

Certainly think this decision and his decision to sit on the ball with 20 seconds left against Oregon to set up the field goal both were very costly.

Live and learn.

I'm glad he is coaching the Huskies.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
DomeHawk":a7js5tfj said:
Uncle Si":a7js5tfj said:

This OC is a nightmare

^^^^This

Or you can look at it this way. If your Senior QB wasn’t out there crapping the bed on the field then that move never happens.
I don’t blame the coach for trying to light a fire under an under achieving player, it just backfired.

I agree with you on the OC however, he’s not good.

D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":1ixf7vpv said:
DomeHawk":1ixf7vpv said:
Uncle Si":1ixf7vpv said:

This OC is a nightmare

^^^^This

Certainly think this decision and his decision to sit on the ball with 20 seconds left against Oregon to set up the field goal both were very costly.

Live and learn.

I'm glad he is coaching the Huskies.

IIRC it was 31 seconds AND two timeouts. With the two timeouts you have innumerable options to either score a TD or give yourself a much shorter FG. I guess I would get it if you have a very good kicker, but this is a kicker that Coach Petersen had shown very little confidence in even before that.

The third game I referenced was the drive at the end of the Auburn game where we ran the ball right up the middle TWICE IN A ROW into an Auburn d-line that had successfully defended that play the entire game. That left us with another 3rd and long that also played into the strengths of that d-line. This, after Jake had been moving the ball well. Yes, I know, that was the OC, but the HC always has the ability to quash a play call. Just mind-boggling.

Edit: it was 35 seconds! https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... ield-goal/

D

DomeHawk

Sports Hernia":21kmm0gh said:
DomeHawk":21kmm0gh said:
Uncle Si":21kmm0gh said:

This OC is a nightmare

^^^^This

Or you can look at it this way. If your Senior QB wasn’t out there crapping the bed on the field then that move never happens.
I don’t blame the coach for trying to light a fire under an under achieving player, it just backfired.

I agree with you on the OC however, he’s not good.

Of course I see your point but here's the deal: typically when this happens your QB is "crapping the bed" AND you are losing so you don't have anything to lose. Right? But that was NOT the scenario here, we were winning and the game was so tight that you had MUCH more to lose than gain, especially seeing as that we were backed up on our own 10-yd line.

I'm sorry but that was just plain reckless.

D

DomeHawk

KitsapGuy":3oy041rk said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/1058058363987087360[/tweet]

The simple face that it is being addressed say a lot.

And no, it's never just one thing or person but when it looks like a duck, walks like a duck..........and everybody is saying "That's a duck!".....well...

Latest posts