Washington Husky Football Thread

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Throwdown":5e6a0734 said:
Should've been able to put up more than 48
While I agree, they did "sit on the ball" at the Rutgers 4 yard line to end the game.
7 more points is 55.

kearly

Reaction score
Browning got a little unlucky on his pick, but also had a couple of other passes dropped that should have been picks. He also had a TD dropped. It was an interesting day for him.

I give credit to the Rutgers defense, they defended the run pretty well and none of UW's RBs looked good today. That said, the eyeball test for Miles Gaskin has me concerned. He's never been a burner, but last year he made up for it with excellent quickness and vision. Today, he misread a glaringly obvious running lane and ran into his own player for what could have been a long TD instead of a minimal gain. He had issues with seeing the holes all game long, and his quickness seemed noticeably diminished. He danced more as well. Normally I like that Gaskin is patient, because he has the quickness to make it work. But today he just looked like a JAG out there. Hopefully he's concealing a minor injury or he's just in an early season funk.

I don't know if Browning added weight, but he's lost half a step. He's now just barely getting caught instead of just barely escaping. That said, the weight gain (if he did gain weight) is totally necessary, you can't trust a 185 pound QB to stay healthy especially with all the sacks Browning takes.

Going into the game, John Ross was the player to watch for knowledgeable UW fans. The DeSean Jackson comps are more than fair. If Ross stays healthy, he's going to be drafted on day 2, possibly sooner.

Azeem Victor reminds me a bit of the Kam Chancellor at LB experiment we never got to see. Dude looks agile and smooth for a guy that stands 6'4" 232.

Last year Browning killed teams with his slant passing, but struggled with deep accuracy. Today he was dropping dimes with his deep ball, and I don't even know if he threw a single slant. Go figure. I still wish Browning's arm was stronger, but he's seemingly mastered the rainbow deep ball which helps me get over it.

Another surprise was the WR group. We all knew that Ross is good, but Daniels really stepped up other than one drop and Pettis looked terrific as well. Even the #4 and #5 WRs looked effective. On paper WR was the biggest area of weakness for UW and Petersen even admitted that WR was the team's biggest recruiting priority last offseason, but receivers one through five all looked great today.

When was the last time you saw a team out-rush their opponent by a 3 to 2 ratio and lose the game 48-13?

With apologies to John Ross, the best player on the field today was Janarion Grant. He was making big kick returns, rushing the ball effectively, doing damage out of wildcat formations, and he even made a touchdown saving tackle. He was their entire team.

Chapow

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3nvn82v6 said:
Throwdown":3nvn82v6 said:
Should've been able to put up more than 48

While I agree, they did "sit on the ball" at the Rutgers 4 yard line to end the game.
7 more points is 55.

And most of the starters played less than 3 quarters. And the 3rd string QB played most of the 4th quarter. And it was pretty clear they were way more interested in just getting the game over with than scoring more points in the 4th quarter.

If they had wanted to put up more than 48 points, they would have, but that's not how Chris Peterson rolls. He doesn't feel the need to put up 63 or 70 or 77 points on a clearly inferior opponent.

dogorama

Reaction score
The Huskies aren't over-hyped at all, we are ranked #14 in the AP poll and #18 in the coaches' poll. Those are the only two polls that are regarded as being legitimate. Using last year as a gauge doesn't tell much w/a true freshman QB at the helm. We do return eight starters on the best defense in the Pac-12 including a couple of legitimate 1st rounders in Azeem Victor and Buddha Baker. In addition to that we bring almost the entire offense w/a very experienced O-Line, one of the best running backs in the conf in Myles Gaskin, and the fastest WR in the conf in John Ross.

Its been a long way back for my Huskies but we seem to have turned the corner by finally getting the right coaching staff in place. We'll see how it turns out but this is probably the best squad in 15-16 years.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
*eye roll*

It was RUTGERS, they stink. Love the Huskies but I won't believe it until they beat Stanford and Oregon. Anything less is a failure of a season.

dogorama

Reaction score
MLOhawks":1mi4v3pc said:
*eye roll*

It was RUTGERS, they stink. Love the Huskies but I won't believe it until they beat Stanford and Oregon. Anything less is a failure of a season.

That's just ridiculous, come tomorrow morning Stanford is either #5 or #6. Of course it would be nice to beat either of those teams but your whole season isn't predicated upon that. A 9 win season would be considered a success for a team on the rise.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
kearly":11s5dcop said:
Last year Browning killed teams with his slant passing, but struggled with deep accuracy. Today he was dropping dimes with his deep ball, and I don't even know if he threw a single slant. Go figure. I still wish Browning's arm was stronger, but he's seemingly mastered the rainbow deep ball which helps me get over it.

He's got good touch on the deep ball for sure. Browning was ranked #6 nationally last season, as an undersized true freshman, in completion percentage on throws over 20 yards.

Throwdown

Reaction score
#8 in the new poll

Don't mean much now but still cool to see UW crack the top 10

Threedee

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":15t07i1h said:
Rutgers has a football team?
I feel bad for Rutgers. They and Princeton were the original two teams back in 1869, but they haven't done anything since the arrival of the 20th Century.

Edit: They only received a single, shared-title for that charter season.

dogorama

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":13qjdgmq said:
We are only about a week away from their opening game vs Rutgers and little to no talk about UW football on here. UW is currently ranked #14 in the pre-season AP Top 25 Poll. I think my Sports Illustrated magazine had us at #7. It's UW's highest AP ranking since they were #9 in 2002. Our defense should be one of the best in the country. I question the offense, primarily the passing game. I expect Browning to take a step forward, but I want to see how the WR corps does with Mickens and Perkins gone.

Can UW handle the hype?

It's a good question, not just because they are fairly young, but also because it is uncharted territory. Back in the day we expected to be in the polls every year but it's been a while. Luckily, we have the right coach now who insists on maintaining a high standard. The Stanford game will tell you a lot about what these guys are made of.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is but a stepping stone, week in and week out being able to focus on the game at hand and not look to the end to soon will be the first test, then comes consistency. It's nice to be talked of in a respectable view as a Husky fan again.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Wish the proper conference games could start. These cupcake games don't tell us a lot.

The Stanford game and the likes of Arizona are a truer test of where we actually are at.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Still a ways out. But I read today that we open the season with Michigan in 2020. Hopefully Harbaugh will still be the coach.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1fozhn1f said:
Still a ways out. But I read today that we open the season with Michigan in 2020. Hopefully Harbaugh will still be the coach.
Yep, Washington plays a home & away series with Michigan in '20 & '21.

dogorama

Reaction score
Atradees":1uqkqgg3 said:
Holy.......The Huskies are in the national title race?

Maybe a bit of a stretch this year but maybe next year it could be a possibility. Problem is, some of our best players are juniors this year and will declare for the draft.