Watched TV replay again...

Donn2390

Reaction score
irocdave":1qxyilt5 said:
It appeared that the packers were not buying in to the severity of Sherman's injury. He got AR once and they weren't going to let that happen again.
I think this was it, Rogers thought Sherman was baiting him, he wasn't going to bite...

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
pmedic920":1hve9z70 said:
I think Peppers told Burnett to "get down".

Yes, that is what I understand was the case too. And Aikman in the commentary said it was a good decision when he did it. They had a few short minutes left, and would have won with even a modest drive down the field. In fact, all the the things folks are bitching about and second guessing after the fact, the guys in the booth called the right plays at the time they were made. Hindsight is 20/20, like they say.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2ugha7gh said:
Yeah there were so many mental lapses the Packers had. Burnett sliding was the worst IMO. He could have run that back to at least FG range. Just pathetic effort on his part to assume that the game was over with 5 minutes left. We as fans felt that way, but a player has to give effort all the way through. He is a huge reason why they lost.
Burnett absolutely the reason for their loss, as he thought that there was no way for ANYONE to come back after his heroic interception.
You can bet he was patting himself on the back, and high fiving his team mates while standing on the side lines,,,, What a dumb shit.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2gynhpdf said:
Yeah there were so many mental lapses the Packers had. Burnett sliding was the worst IMO. He could have run that back to at least FG range. Just pathetic effort on his part to assume that the game was over with 5 minutes left. We as fans felt that way, but a player has to give effort all the way through. He is a huge reason why they lost.
Shoulda coulda woulda. That was not a bad decision by Burnett. He had traffic to get through, so even Peppers signaled for him to get down to ensure they maintained possession. Burnett is getting bashed unjustly by BS 20/20 hindsight.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Rat":zoza407r said:
jkitsune":zoza407r said:
And Sherman playing with one arm in the 4th quarter? Warrior.
This one was confusing for me. Sherman wasn't hiding the injury, why didn't Rodgers test him at least once? Either the Packers have an insane amount of respect for Sherman, or they were too stupid to notice he was hurt.
Because maybe Rodgers was faking the extent of his injury so much before and during this game, he didn't want to take a chance that Sherman was taking a page out of his fake book, AND, besides, Sherman had already rubbed his nose in it with his interception earlier in the game....Rodgers just couldn't take that chance.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
MVP53":1ft7ni53 said:
HunnyBadger":1ft7ni53 said:
Hasselbeck":1ft7ni53 said:
.. still have no idea how the hell we pulled this win out

- What was Morgan Burnett doing sliding after the pick? He had room for days.

Just.. unbelievable. Unbelievable!

I don't know, I can't fault Burnett for going down. At that point, the probability of him fumbling during a interception run-back was way higher than the probability of the chain of events that subsequently unfolded. I think the Packer's redzone offense ineptitude was the reason they lost this game. That and the brain fart by Bostick on the onside kick.

I just watched it again, and I think he had Okung, Unger, Carpenter & maybe Wilson to beat on that pick. At best, he takes to the house & the game's over. Realistically, he could have at least gotten GB close to FG range and taken another 5 seconds off the clock, at which point the game is probably over.

Given how many plays Seattle got off just before the 2 minute warning, I'd say 5 extra seconds would have been pretty big.

Maybe he just didn't want to be that Dallas guy and fumble the ball back, but that really was a stupid decision. Basically the equivalent of trying to kneel out the clock with 5 minutes to play.
If the probable ending to that game came about, everybody would be saying what a smart decision he made with the ball.
A miracle happens, so everyone looks for a scapegoat. Get over it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":1fs3y8iz said:
Someone tell me the odds of a fumble after recovering a fumble?

Burnett should have just taken it as far as he could before getting tackled.
Ever watch what happened with Hardy when he intercepted Dave Krieg and then got the shit knocked out of him by Steve Largent?
Yep, instant turnover/turnover :twisted:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
mikeak":10p290ql said:
Uncle Si":10p290ql said:

to me though.. two times inside the 1 on 4th down and come away with 6 points. Packers lost the game in the last two minutes. they couldve won it in the first 10. not a champions mentality. Burnetts slide in the 4th was just another example.

PLUS 1000

Bellicheck yesterday. 30 secs left on the clock in second half goes for it on fourt down. Downside of that is you don't have your opponent pinned in the area as they will run out clock.

GB kicks for 3 - TWICE

I could not believe it. I am very grateful for it
That's what befuddles me. I suppose the minset from Mcarthy was points wouldn't come easy, so take the sure thing.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I am still evaluating the game. Had a bit of work to do and some emails to clear....200 or so. Interesting watching it this way too. With a spot on analysis instead of what they want me to see. Wierd. Go Hawks.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":1n7kuohi said:
Well did you stop and consider that Peppers meant for him to Git Dowwwwn (dance?) :16:

Dizzlepdx

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":209riuwh said:
Someone tell me the odds of a fumble after recovering a fumble?

Burnett should have just taken it as far as he could before getting tackled.

~20% I believe

Dizzlepdx

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1ct02u6h said:
pmedic920":1ct02u6h said:
Well did you stop and consider that Peppers meant for him to Git Dowwwwn (dance?) :16:

I think it was actually Lieutenant Dan that told him to get down. And to shut up.

Seafan

Reaction score
If Burnett had fumbled the ball after the int he would have been criticized. It happened in the Dallas-Detroit game. His team mates wanted him to down it and let the offense take care of running out the clock. Understandable.

HawkerD

Reaction score
StorytellerMatt":3q4uvpva said:
I have a book with Zen anecdotes and this is one of them:

"Pat Fischer, the Redskin cornerback, told the reporters after the game that the ball seemed to jump over his hands as he went for it. When we studied the game film that week, it DID look as if teh ball kind of jumpoed over his hands into Gene's. Some of the guys said it was the wind ... [but] our sense of teh pass was so clear and our INTENTION so strong that the ball was bound to get there, come wind, cornerbacks, hell, or high water."

--John Brodie

It is my belief that the Hawks simply had a very strong intention to win. I'm not saying the Packers didn't want to win, but I don't think that team's INTENTION was as strong as Seattle's was.

I think the sheer strength of will in the Seahawks as a TEAM was so overpowering that things just simply happened for the Hawks. The on-side kick, which should have been gathered in by GB ... but the ball bounced as if it was INTENDED for the arms of a Hawk. The poor pass defense on the 2-point conversion. The coin toss.

They talk about teams of destiny. I think the Hawks are a team of Intention. Heck, when Russ says before overtime that we are going to win the toss and that he is going to win the game with a long TD pass to Kearse ... that is Intention. Why would a QB, who has been picked every time he threw to Kearse during the game, predict that Kearse would win the game on that pass?

The Hawks were not lucky. They just wanted this so much that their Intention created circumstances that were favorable to the outcome they desired.

Sorry to go all Neville Goddard on you. Atheists can start mocking me now.

I'll start...What a load of crap! Like if there was a god or destiny or an other thing it is going to favor one team over another. How fricking stupid is that. We won because in actuality we were the much better team. Once we got around to playing like it, they did what they do. If we didn't play like idiots the first 55 minutes it would have likely been 43-8.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I've watched the game twice now and I'm convinced that had Seattle played like they normally do without the fumbles,
interception (s) etc., Seattle would have beat Green Bay badly. Our defense held the Packers to 4 field goals over the course of the game even though they were put in dire situations by our offense .Unbelievable win.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
morgulon1":1x0l4ahv said:
I've watched the game twice now and I'm convinced that had Seattle played like they normally do without the fumbles,
interception (s) etc., Seattle would have beat Green Bay badly. Our defense held the Packers to 4 field goals over the course of the game even though they were put in dire situations by our offense .Unbelievable win.

Me too. Watching it live, it seemed like they were doing much better than they were. It felt like they were dominating. But watching it again, man oh man we were pretty dominant on defense the whole game. To see the #1 offense in the league get one-point-something points per turnover was amazing. To see them be handed the ball repeatedly inside or within a couple yards of our red zone and come up mostly empty-handed was incredible.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":28nof6ba said:
morgulon1":28nof6ba said:

Me too. Watching it live, it seemed like they were doing much better than they were. It felt like they were dominating. But watching it again, man oh man we were pretty dominant on defense the whole game. To see the #1 offense in the league get one-point-something points per turnover was amazing. To see them be handed the ball repeatedly inside or within a couple yards of our red zone and come up mostly empty-handed was incredible.

Exactly. It seems hard (to me at least) to sort out in the heat of the moment with emotion and all. I was in shock that we were trying to spot the GB Packers points. It could've been 21 or 24 -0 at halftime. That would've put a different feel to the 2nd half.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Criticizing burnett is double edged because nobody can say what happens if he returns it. Maybe he had a fumbling issue in his career or even in practice hes known for it? Peppers looked scared of him with a football. I guarantee if he goes ALL out on the return and loses it there is criticism for not going down. The pick with no return did raise their win probability to over 99% iirc.

Did you see hauschka and kam celebrating after the onsides recovery? Sheer joy.

Did you notice several lanes for Wilson to run like i did? The packers did a good job of contain no doubt, but damn russ missed several opportunities.

Also, on the play where russ takes off and gets stopped short of the goalline by about 2 1\2 yds, look at how open baldwin is in the back of the endzone. Russ was still more than a yd behind the LOS at that point too.

Unbelievable is right....whew.

MVP53

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1q7zsse5 said:
MVP53":1q7zsse5 said:
HunnyBadger":1q7zsse5 said:
Hasselbeck":1q7zsse5 said:
.. still have no idea how the hell we pulled this win out

- What was Morgan Burnett doing sliding after the pick? He had room for days.

Just.. unbelievable. Unbelievable!

I don't know, I can't fault Burnett for going down. At that point, the probability of him fumbling during a interception run-back was way higher than the probability of the chain of events that subsequently unfolded. I think the Packer's redzone offense ineptitude was the reason they lost this game. That and the brain fart by Bostick on the onside kick.

I just watched it again, and I think he had Okung, Unger, Carpenter & maybe Wilson to beat on that pick. At best, he takes to the house & the game's over. Realistically, he could have at least gotten GB close to FG range and taken another 5 seconds off the clock, at which point the game is probably over.

Given how many plays Seattle got off just before the 2 minute warning, I'd say 5 extra seconds would have been pretty big.

Maybe he just didn't want to be that Dallas guy and fumble the ball back, but that really was a stupid decision. Basically the equivalent of trying to kneel out the clock with 5 minutes to play.
If the probable ending to that game came about, everybody would be saying what a smart decision he made with the ball.
A miracle happens, so everyone looks for a scapegoat. Get over it.

"Get over it"? What am I, a Packer fan? Trust me, I'm not lamenting his decision.

It was just an interesting play and worth discussion. I personally thought it was the wrong move.

5 minutes left to play & up 12 is not the time to start taking a knee, for lack of a better term.