Watching Owl I decided the Seahawks did the right thing...

sutz

Reaction score
I originally was thinking they should go offensive background for HC, but after that SB I agree with their decision to bring in a good defensive mind to turn things around on that side of the ball. It looks like things around the league are swinging that way again and I'd like the Hawks to be on the leading edge of a defensive wave. (y)

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
What about the Super Bowl made you come to that conclusion? Both of the coaches in the SB are offensive coaches.

The team with the better defense just got Patrick Mahomes’d

cymatica

Reaction score
What about the Super Bowl made you come to that conclusion? Both of the coaches in the SB are offensive coaches.

True, but they are the best offensive minds in the game right now and struggled all game to score on each defense. Took OT to get over 19 points for the best offensive minds

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
True, but they are the best offensive minds in the game right now and struggled all game to score on each defense. Took OT to get over 19 points for the best offensive minds
And? The better QB and better offensive team still won and broke the game open in the end going on huge drives. The best defensive team in the NFL also got defeated by Mahomes and Andy Reid. The majority of the playoffs had offensive coaches.

I think Macdonald is the best choice, we could’ve made at the time, but I still don’t think we’re in a “defensive era”. If you’re any good as an OC you get poached, and for a QB the lack of consistency is an issue.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, what he said.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score

I'd say because of the way the game played out for 3/5ths of it? Patrick Mahomes looked butt for most the game.

This was a defensive slog and Mahomes doesn't have that chance if KC's D didn't pull his O's butt out of the fire multiple times. (Chiefs holding Niners to 0 points off turnovers was as or more important to winning this game as anything Mahomes did.)

Chiefs D and special teams were good all game. It's nice Mahomes showed up in the final two frames to get the glory, though.

Rat

Reaction score
Six of the past seven Super Bowl winners had a coach with an offensive background, and the one who didnt is arguably the GOAT (Belichick). I think Macdonald was a home-run hire and was saying during the whole coaching search that people were getting way too caught up in the "offensive/defensive coach" thing, but I don't think recent results exactly show an advantage to the defensive guys.

94Smith

Reaction score
Check out how Spags did as a head coach

SNDavidson

Reaction score
measures and counter measures, within a political league and leadership pandering to shareholders, war in a nutshell

You ever wonder if Ender's game is actually a thing, or going to be a thing?

JPatera76

Reaction score
Id much rather go in and have the best offense and best defense go at it like Sea vs Den. KC's Offense imo was kind of MIddle of the Pack.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I'm not going to lie I enjoyed that the 9ers sold all that they had for this chance, and a few months into the season, one of the Kelce's started dating Taylor Swift, and then she was at the game and on camera and annoying in the superbowl that the 9ers leveraged their future for after dying to be like the PC Seahawks for over a decade with a tough defense. And then they got there, and they lost with their system qb and defense they can't pay, and Tay Tay was really invested in the game, and she has been a life long fan, and her and the girls were really into it, and because all the swifties hung in there and understood what grit was all about, the better team won. A lesson for us all. Never associate with bay area sports fans.

keasley45

Reaction score

The defenses are what was featured. It was a low scoring game that came down to which defense broke. Hardly an offensive showcase at all.

I coukd see if it was a shootout like KC Bills a few years ago. But this wasn't that.

The defenses played to a draw. Mahomes was the wildcard.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Id much rather go in and have the best offense and best defense go at it like Sea vs Den. KC's Offense imo was kind of MIddle of the Pack.
This. They were pretty evenly matched, and neutralized each other. That's why it was a chore to watch until Mahomes pulled it out at the end.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
I originally was thinking they should go offensive background for HC, but after that SB I agree with their decision to bring in a good defensive mind to turn things around on that side of the ball. It looks like things around the league are swinging that way again and I'd like the Hawks to be on the leading edge of a defensive wave. (y)
It feels like a ten year cycle or something

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
It feels like a ten year cycle or something
Yeah, we led the defensive resurgence in 2013. Offenses have been on the upswing for quite a while now. I just think the ball is bouncing back to tough defenses for a few years and I'm glad we scooped up one of the up and coming defensive minds for HC.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Yeah, we led the defensive resurgence in 2013. Offenses have been on the upswing for quite a while now. I just think the ball is bouncing back to tough defenses for a few years and I'm glad we scooped up one of the up and coming defensive minds for HC.
Smash mouth was right about supplies running out and fads and

“It's just like any fad it retracts before impact and just like fashion it's a”

kidhawk

Reaction score
And? The better QB and better offensive team still won and broke the game open in the end going on huge drives. The best defensive team in the NFL also got defeated by Mahomes and Andy Reid. The majority of the playoffs had offensive coaches.

I think Macdonald is the best choice, we could’ve made at the time, but I still don’t think we’re in a “defensive era”. If you’re any good as an OC you get poached, and for a QB the lack of consistency is an issue.
You call them an offensive team but their defense got them there this year. Yes Mahomes put them on his back at the end but if the defense didn’t play as well as they did Mahomes wouldn’t have had that opportunity. KC had the best defense in this year’s playoffs.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
To make the point even more Seahawks specific: KC's offense this year was just marginally more efficient than ours (based on scoring percentage and points per drive). Both were top half of the league but neither was elite.

What KC had that we did not was an elite defense.

SF was the opposite. Defense was top half of the league but not elite but their offense absolutely was elite. Top 3 in basically every metric.

The better defensive team won today and the better offensive team lost.

Patrick Mahomes had a perfectly good season but that's all. We'll pretend it was more than that after the fact because that's what we do for QBs, especially good ones, but he rode his defense to a Super Bowl this year and that's ok.

kidhawk

Reaction score
To make the point even more Seahawks specific: KC's offense this year was just marginally more efficient than ours (based on scoring percentage and points per drive). Both were top half of the league but neither was elite.

What KC had that we did not was an elite defense.

SF was the opposite. Defense was top half of the league but not elite but their offense absolutely was elite. Top 3 in basically every metric.

The better defensive team won today and the better offensive team lost.

Patrick Mahomes had a perfectly good season but that's all. We'll pretend it was more than that after the fact because that's what we do for QBs, especially good ones, but he rode his defense to a Super Bowl this year and that's ok.
Patrick Mahomes deserves praise for everything he’s achieved in his career and I think that’s fair but the chiefs Defense was definitely why they are back to back champs.