Watching Owl I decided the Seahawks did the right thing...

seahawks08

Reaction score
All OCs doesn’t always translate to becoming great HCs. Maturity and leading the locker room along with media and the face of the organization is a tall order. I agree with the notion that OCs gets plucked out, but I feel the trend will change when you can put out an electrifying defense as well. Our DCs in the beginning of Pete’s era were league favorites. Similarly if there are defenses that can beat offensive juggernauts, they will be in demand. However the league is moving younger in many ways to remove the elements of stubbornness and the ability to adapt quickly

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I originally was thinking they should go offensive background for HC, but after that SB I agree with their decision to bring in a good defensive mind to turn things around on that side of the ball. It looks like things around the league are swinging that way again and I'd like the Hawks to be on the leading edge of a defensive wave. (y)

Yeah, but not even close to the best QB this year. He's the best based on his career, not this season.

There is a reason Patrick Mahomes wasn't anywhere near MVP discussion this season.

Keeping it Seahawks related, Mahomes was much closer to being Geno Smith than he was Josh Allen or Dak Prescott. (Or Brock Purdy.)
Brock Purdy? Be real please. I'd still go offensive coach if possible but the real goal is a top tier quarterback. Purdy is that but Mahomes is far more then that.

WarHawks

Reaction score
These were two evenly matched teams. The better qb won. Simple as that. In this [Mahomes Era] the obvious takeaway is you need an elite defense and an elite qb, or you're done.

Last edited:

cymatica

Reaction score
Spags is a top level DC. Maybe the best DC in the league ? But he was 11-31 as a head coach . Check out the playoff teams this year. Chiefs offensive hc. 49ers offensive hc. Ravens special teams hc. Detroit offensive hc. Packers offensive hc. Rams offensive hc . Dallas offensive hc. Miami offensive head coach. Texans defensive hc . Bills defensive hc. Browns offensive hc. Steelers defensive hc. Bucs defensive hc . Eagles offensive hc . That’s 9-4. I think teams are better hiring offensive coaches because their oc will get picked off if they have success and it is harder to keep the same offensive system and harder on the offense to change coordinators
That's a separate argument than comparing Spagnola to MacDonald. They are 2 different people in 2 completely different situations. Spagnola had zero success as a head coach, so far MacDonald's situation looks tremendously better than if he joined a bad St Louis team with no direction.

Ask Tom Brady how a defensive head coach worked out

xray

Reaction score
The game was all about the gr8 Ds , until the better QB took over the game . Gr8 QBs paired with Gr8 Ds win SBs . Teams that don't have both...please take a seat and watch how it's done . :)

Jac

Reaction score
The game was all about the gr8 Ds , until the better QB took over the game . Gr8 QBs paired with Gr8 Ds win SBs . Teams that don't have both...please take a seat and watch how it's done . :)
That's my takeaway from this season and this year's SB. It's probably always been this way, but you give yourself the best chance to win with a great defense and a QB that can put together game-winning drives in high pressure situations. Hopefully we can find that QB in this year's draft, and we keep trying until we do. I believe Macdonald will deliver on the defensive side.

whidbeast

Reaction score
Sort of like best player available on the draft board IMO we went with the best coach available.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I think Kelce was hurt the first part of the season ? Plus no other weapons to speak of . He can’t do it all
Absolutely, he can't. And he didn't.

I think teams are better hiring offensive coaches because their oc will get picked off if they have success and it is harder to keep the same offensive system and harder on the offense to change coordinators
Except this isn't true. These past two seasons more DCs got snatched for HC spots. Good coordinators, regardless of side of the ball, get taken.

It happens.

These were two evenly matched teams. The better qb won. Simple as that. In this [Mahomes Era] the obvious takeaway is you need an elite defense and an elite qb, or you're done.
The better QB won because the better defense and special teams kept him in the game until he pulled his head out of his butt.

Mahomes is elite but this season he was not and he wasn't the majority of this game, either.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Id much rather go in and have the best offense and best defense go at it like Sea vs Den. KC's Offense imo was kind of MIddle of the Pack.
OH how I would love to see the LOB from Pete's days go up against KC's current team. That would be one hell of a Super Bowl. My money would be on the LOB of course for the win. ;)

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I'd rather zig when everyone zags.

We got the best DC for hc and everyone else got 2nd best at OC when Johnson went back to Detroit.

rigelian

Reaction score
After watching the Super Bowl...I wish that Pete would have let JS draft Mahomes when he was interested and scouting him.
Pete didn't have the choice, Mahomes was drafted ahead of our first round pick. JS scouted him in the hope that he would fall for some reason.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Check out how Spags did as a head coach

Dude, I just want to give you major credit. You are a fan of our rivals. You constantly post in enemy territory but you are blessed by not being a D bag like others can be. Your team just lost in the biggest game on the planet and yet you still come here, again, in enemy territory to post your thoughts.

You are good people man. And good people are appreciated.

keasley45

Reaction score
Spags is a top level DC. Maybe the best DC in the league ? But he was 11-31 as a head coach . Check out the playoff teams this year. Chiefs offensive hc. 49ers offensive hc. Ravens special teams hc. Detroit offensive hc. Packers offensive hc. Rams offensive hc . Dallas offensive hc. Miami offensive head coach. Texans defensive hc . Bills defensive hc. Browns offensive hc. Steelers defensive hc. Bucs defensive hc . Eagles offensive hc . That’s 9-4. I think teams are better hiring offensive coaches because their oc will get picked off if they have success and it is harder to keep the same offensive system and harder on the offense to change coordinators
Coaches who were hired when the trend was to go pass happy offense over the last dozen or so years doesn't prove that the way to win today is by doing the same thing.

And if you disagree with the statement that the trend is now, again, going away from hard nosed football and physicality winning, you are in disagreement with John Schneider himself who said over the last year (last offseason) that things are shifting again.

Of all the high flying offensive coaches on that list and the systems they deploy, only those paired with top defenses made it anywhere.

Mid season, everybody was on Miami's nuts because they were again proof positive that offense now ruled. What happened to them and the rest? Pummeled by teams with better defenses.

The superbowl was 10-3 at the half.

At one point, the Shanahan offense went almost 2 qtrs without a first down. That with the most innovative playcaller in the league and the best offensive skill position talent.

It's a cyclical league. Rules changed in 2013 to hand offenses an advantage. Defenses have taken a decade to adjust, but they've done just that.

And honestly, I think we may have the best of both worlds. A defensive genius who can help modify his OCs approach so that it's designed to succeed against these new defenses that have obviously now adapted.

94Smith

Reaction score
And honestly, I think we may have the best of both worlds. A defensive genius who can help modify his OCs approach so that it's designed to succeed against these new defenses that have obviously now adapted.
You do. And it might work for a 3 year run, but then your OC will get picked off and unless you have a franchise QB the offense could tank. Don’t get me wrong I like Mike Macdonald I think he was the best hire, I just don’t know if defensive coach is the best long term hire. And Mike macdonald I believe is the best hire to beat sf

SeaWolv

Reaction score
If you’re any good as an OC you get poached, and for a QB the lack of consistency is an issue.
This is what JS said in his presser last month. OC's that become HC's tend to provide more continuity for the most important position on the team, QB. DC's to HC's creates a situation where you're constantly having to find replacements which creates instability.