We confident Bevell wont hose up the offense force feeding

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Makes some sense to force-feed him the ball. Assuming he isn't bracketed off, why would you throw jump balls to pedestrian receivers when you have Jimmy Graham on the field?

Harvin is and was a gimmick player who needed a gimmick offense to succeed. They did a fine job of blending him during the 2013 season (when he was available). Harvin's ego and Seattle's need to increase his trade-value changed how he was used in 2014. I don't consider that endemic of the play-calling. And I know I'm in the minority here, but he wasn't even used that bad. He had a bunch of TDs erased against the Redskins, and his teammates quit on him against Dallas. What other games was he used poorly in? SD? He had a TD, and our defense couldn't get off the 100 degree field. He was used fine and very effectively in the other games. Harvin's usage was especially significant in wins over Green Bay and Denver (and every single game he played in 2013). Way too much revisionist history there.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
"Confident" and "Bevell" are not 2 words I use in the same sentence unless it's something along the lines of what Scott said as in "I'm confident Bevell will try to get too cute with Jimmy".

Hawks46

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3vru0neo said:
I am confident Graham is a great pass catcher. I am confident he woult rather not block. And I am confident Bevell will dream up a huge number of personnel packages to get him the ball. I am equally confident he wall have a large number of personnel packages featuring Graham as a decoy, you know, really cute shit.

I agree.

Funny thing is, tons of people here wanted Thomas, and the first few points describe him exactly. Graham is larger and more dynamic.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I'm totally on board with Bev making this work. He has been instrumental in the development in Russell and this acquisition and another year of Russell in his system will make this offense dynamic. And there's no fear about drifting away from our run-first philosophy -- Pete is still ultimately calling the shots and I don't think it's a secret that he's partial to the ground game with a high-energy guy like Marshawn. The offense is in very good hands.

Hawks46

Reaction score
DavidSeven":10ne9bg4 said:
Makes some sense to force-feed him the ball. Assuming he isn't bracketed off, why would you throw jump balls to pedestrian receivers when you have Jimmy Graham on the field?

Harvin is and was a gimmick player who needed a gimmick offense to succeed. They did a fine job of blending him during the 2013 season (when he was available). Harvin's ego and Seattle's need to increase his trade-value changed how he was used in 2014. I don't consider that endemic of the play-calling. And I know I'm in the minority here, but he wasn't even used that bad. He had a bunch of TDs erased against the Redskins, and his teammates quit on him against Dallas. What other games was he used poorly in? SD? He had a TD, and our defense couldn't get off the 100 degree field. He was used fine and very effectively in the other games. Harvin's usage was especially significant in wins over Green Bay and Denver (and every single game he played in 2013). Way too much revisionist history there.

This is actually pretty spot on.

I noticed that when Harvin was getting the ball on screens, the other WRs weren't blocking for him and letting him get blown up. I guess punching guys and being a total ass will do that to them.

After we got rid of Harvin and after the STL game, we were actually pretty good in our usage of screens. Baldwin is pretty good at screens, Lockette was effective on a couple and pretty much all of our RBs are good at executing screens.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I think the problem with Harvin became the one dimensional way that we used him. Teams caught on that they could defend this by crowding the box. This also caused problems for the plays we run with Beast and the RW keepers. The defenders were already there to make the play. I guess Harvin never put in enough practice effort to get the coaches or Russell to consider him as a down field option unless it was a broken play.

I do not expect IMJimmy to cause the same issues. If we can put together a protection that gives RW 2.5 seconds (and a snap that he doesn't have to search for) Then we should be improved by this move. We will need IMJimmy to tough up though. He will have to be on the field for running plays in order to keep the defense honest.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I think JG will be much easier for RW to find when he does his double reverse roll out to evade the entire defensive line.

I also think Arizona is going to have a tough time matching up with JG, which pleases me to no end.

naholmes

Reaction score
Force feed a 6'7" TE that can go up and snatch the ball at it's highest point? It's been working for the Saints so keep on doing it until somebody can stop it!

staga206

Reaction score
I don't trust Bevell. I dont know why Coach Cable doesnt take over the Offensive Coordinator job.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
DavidSeven":13hefsbi said:

Harvin was not significant in any of our wins. He never plays a snap for us and we still win every game that he did play, by roughly the same score.

1 catch for 17 yards sure was significant.....talk about revisionist history.

And against the saints he got BAILED OUT by penalties because he wasn't going to catch any of those passes.

Harvin was about as insignificant as a player can be, and the more he played the worse we got. He can't run normal routes so we had to become a gimmick offense to be able to use him.

Harvin is one of the few players who manages to make teams worse off the field AND on the field and still get paid big $.

As much as I hate Harvin I gotta hand it to him, few players suck as bad as he does and cause as many problems and still gets interest from teams. I guess not everyone likes to pay attention.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
staga206":210oiirv said:
I don't trust Bevell. I dont know why Coach Cable doesnt take over the Offensive Coordinator job.
Because Cable isn't a coordinator. He went from head coach to OL for good reasons. He hasn't exactly succeeded as OL so why should he be promoted? Successful teams don't reward failure. Though I do agree that Bevell should be gone. He should have been gone at least a yeat ago.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Here's something interesting and might explain why we do better in Run protection than Pass protection. If you look at Cable's history from Atlanta in 2007 to now you can see the team QB doesn't put up tons of yardage or TD, but rushing wise they put up monstrous numbers. The one thing that also stands out is that they never had anyone over 900 yard receiving. This sounds like our offense currently.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I hear the concerns and totally agree that up until now, it's a valid one in terms of Seattle.

I brought up this point in the main Jimmy Graham thread, but will do so here as well. The one shred of hope that I believe we as Seahawks fans can hold on to is the 2009 Vikings. In 2009, Darrell Bevell was named Offensive Coordinator of the Vikings. The team went 12-4 that year and lost the NFC Championship Game 31-28 in OT to the Saints (the eventual Super Bowl winners that year). Here are some of the offensive numbers of that 2009 Vikings Squad ...

2009 Minnesota Vikings (Offensive Statistics) ...

6,074 Total Yards ... 5th Most in the NFL
29.4 Points/Game Average ... 2nd Most in the NFL
4,156 Passing Yards ... 8th Most in the NFL
34 Passing TD's ... Tied for #1 in the NFL
1,918 Rushing Yards ... 13th Most in the NFL
19 Rushing TD's ... Tied for 6th Most in the NFL (Miami and Baltimore tied for #1 with 22 Rushing TD's)

Brett Favre...363 Comp...531 Att...68.4% Pass Comp...4,202 Pass Yds...33 TD...7 INT...107.2 QB Rating
Sidney Rice ... 83 Rec ... 1,312 Yards ... 8 TD's
Percy Harvin ... 60 Rec ... 790 Yards ... 6 TD's
Visanthe Shiancoe ... 56 Rec ... 560 Yards ... 11 TD's

Adrian Peterson ... 314 Rush Att ... 1,383 Rush Yds ... 4.4 Yds/Rush ... 18 Rushing TD's

So, it HAS happened before that a Bevell Offense has managed to generate impressive offensive numbers ... and struck a fairly good productive balance between pass and run. We can certainly debate about the ultimate reasons behind those numbers (was it far more Favre than Bevell?) ... but the facts are that an offense (with Bevell as OC) HAS put up VERY good balanced and downright potent offensive numbers in the past. Do I actually EXPECT that this year? Let's just say that I'm keeping an open mind. Just thought I would point that out.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
I'm confident Bevell can't win over the fans no matter what.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
FargoHawk":1jt052pg said:
I'm confident Bevell can't win over the fans no matter what.
This.

.Net will always need a whipping boy, and it's Bevell until he leaves. No matter what he does, or how many times we lead the league in rushing or have a top 10 offense, Bevell will do nothing right in the eyes of the posters/fans.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I remain skeptical that we will scheme him open very effectively, but time will tell.

Hawkfan77":2ybfljml said:
.Net will always need a whipping boy, and it's Bevell until he leaves. No matter what he does, or how many times we lead the league in rushing or have a top 10 offense, Bevell will do nothing right in the eyes of the posters/fans.
Yeah, those of us that haven't liked Bevell for quite a while are just mindless sheep.

*Edited to point out that Sac didn't actually change anything, but enjoys trolling more than long walks on the beach with 49ers fans.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Mindless sheep or not, Bev has the confidence of the only 2 individuals that matter -- Pete and Russell. Sure, everyone on this board can have an opinion and let's face it, many on here just have to grumble about something , because that's their nature. But Pete and Russell are the insiders in the know and they both value his ingenuity when designing an offense. I'll let those two's validity of trust be my shepherd every time.