We have the best defense in the NFL

Chawker

Reaction score
Top to bottom, rotational players, you'd be hard pressed to hand pick a better group of players. And just in time to make that play-off push. I've always said defenses win champions, will we got the group to win and win now.
I'm so excited for the Seahawks to go get'em, once again were Mighty !

12 Cheers !!!!!!!!!!!!

toffee

Reaction score
Top to bottom, rotational players, you'd be hard pressed to hand pick a better group of players. And just in time to make that play-off push. I've always said defenses win champions, will we got the group to win and win now.

12 Cheers !!!!!!!!!!!!
100%, we may not have that mega star on our defense, but we are playing as team and our defense is getting better and better each week.

SO MUCH FOR PETE COULDN'T COACH DEFENSE ANYMORE, as some said on dot net.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
It is remarkable job Pete and John has done over the coarse of one year with this defense. Now we'll see if Clint Hurtt is capable of being that guy here in Seattle.

• Love
Reactions: LTH

LTH

Reaction score
It is remarkable job Pete and John has done over the coarse of one year with this defense. Now we'll see if Clint Hurtt is capable of being that guy here in Seattle.
Like I have been saying it's a building process... this D has NOT played its best ball yet and they are still one of the best Defenses in the NFL. It's just now getting to the point where we see some consistency of play... now they have added 2 more pieces to the puzzle and let's see what happens when those pieces start meshing with what is existing. It's going to open up secondary coverages, blitzing and all kinds of stuff that we haven't seen yet.

Just my take

LTH

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Its time for Pete to get up on the wheel and stand on the gas. He has a thoroughbred of a team and needs to treat them like one.

Last edited:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
All the Defensive failures last Season were not on Hurt, he now has the horses that were missing on last years 'D' Roster.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
It’s time for Pete to get up on the wheel and stand on the gas. He has a thoroughbred of a team and needs to treat them like one.
Have you not been around (I know you have)??? This is the exact opposite of what he’s known to do. I’m loving the energy of the team but don’t be fooled that the approach will change. No more of that “well, maybe he will …” as there is not a chance. As always, Go Hawks but I’ll not be duped…

olyfan63

Reaction score

12 Cheers !!!!!!!!!!!!
I feel a need to pump the brakes a little here, because this D hasn't really proven much against good offenses with their first-string QBs playing. Detroit had the Hawks number, moved the ball and scored plenty, but gave us 14 points in turnovers and a couple 4th down failure turnovers. Yes, those "lucky breaks" were created by the D, but may be hard to replicate game-in and game-out.

Lamar and the Ravens--if the Hawks can shut down or even just limit that offense, in Baltimore, enough to get a W, THEN we can start talking about the potential greatness of this D. If we can hold that group under 20 points... major accomplishment. After all, the Ravens were up 35-0 on Detroit by halftime.

If it turns out the Hawks D can slow down the 49ers offense, and the Cowboys, and the Eagles... we will have something indeed.

Just because it "feels" like we have the horses on D, especially with the Leonard Williams signing, doesn't mean things will magically gel; I absolutely do hope this happens, kind of like a 2014 season where the D just became lights-out in the second half of the season. Can Clint Hurtt channel some Dan Quinn to help make this happen? Can the Hawks largely avoid season-ending injuries? Can the youngsters on the D continue to develop into legit NFL players? Can the D discover that playing-fast-and-together magic that powered the 2013 and 2014 Seahawk defenses?

I'd love to see it happen, just don't feel like anything is guaranteed, and things could even go backwards if a few bad things happen, e.g., injuries, other teams finding weaknesses to exploit, etc.

toffee

Reaction score
I feel a need to pump the brakes a little here, because this D hasn't really proven much against good offenses with their first-string QBs playing. Detroit had the Hawks number, moved the ball and scored plenty, but gave us 14 points in turnovers and a couple 4th down failure turnovers. Yes, those "lucky breaks" were created by the D, but may be hard to replicate game-in and game-out.

Lamar and the Ravens--if the Hawks can shut down or even just limit that offense, in Baltimore, enough to get a W, THEN we can start talking about the potential greatness of this D. If we can hold that group under 20 points... major accomplishment. After all, the Ravens were up 35-0 on Detroit by halftime.

If it turns out the Hawks D can slow down the 49ers offense, and the Cowboys, and the Eagles... we will have something indeed.

Just because it "feels" like we have the horses on D, especially with the Leonard Williams signing, doesn't mean things will magically gel; I absolutely do hope this happens, kind of like a 2014 season where the D just became lights-out in the second half of the season. Can Clint Hurtt channel some Dan Quinn to help make this happen? Can the Hawks largely avoid season-ending injuries? Can the youngsters on the D continue to develop into legit NFL players? Can the D discover that playing-fast-and-together magic that powered the 2013 and 2014 Seahawk defenses?

I'd love to see it happen, just don't feel like anything is guaranteed, and things could even go backwards if a few bad things happen, e.g., injuries, other teams finding weaknesses to exploit, etc.
Words of wisdom

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
This ^.

I'm as pumped as the next guy. We have the horses. But we need to handle Baltimore, and we need to BEAT the 49ers handily. And the Cowboys and Eagles.

Edit: I actually think the Ravens are our most important game of the season. Mobile quarterback who can burn you with pass or runs. Awesome defense. This game is the measuring stick for the playoff push. I wanna see Clark. I wanna see Williams. And I wanna see them click with all the other pieces, everyone firing on all cyliners - and we're SB bound IMO.

Last edited:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score

12 Cheers !!!!!!!!!!!!
You must be beside yourself ecstatic AF IRRC you were drafting Witherspoon (really one of the only posters to really mock him before all the noise), Mazi Smith, and Jack Campbell to this defense.

While you didn’t get Smith or Campbell. You can’t really hate what Reed and Brooks are doing for what you wanted. Brooks is better than ever, last year he had to deal with a lot of growth in trying to be the man, and this year there was a lot of toughness and adversity he faced coming back from his injury pretty much on the quickest timeline. And Brooks took those lumps, those growing pains, and with Bobby back he just been able to stay in his own lane but also elevate himself into a more complete, more dynamic player.

Reed on the other hand, you know there’s a thread on how good he’s been, but in my head he’s been sort of a caged beast, carrying the burden of holding down the fort to make everything work and he’s still been lights out despite that weight.

Now the Seahawks went and got Williams. I see a similar scenario like with Bobby unlocking Brooks. Adding Williams is only going to help unlock Reeds cage and put him in better opportunities to do similar things he’s done in the past than just being the rock and the guard, and holding the fort.

I don’t think many people realize how good Leonard Williams can be and to pair him with Reed or being able to interchange them and give Reed some edge opportunities could be a big difference moving forward and it just going to help everyone.

94Smith

Reaction score
Ill reserve judgement until after this week. In the last 4 weeks the Seahawks have faced Joshua Dobbs, Philip Walker ,Daniel Jones and lost to Joe Burrow with one leg. Harder test on the road this weekend

94Smith

Reaction score
Also the Seahawks D does not lead the league in any metric. YPG - Cleveland, PPG - Baltimore, DVOA - Baltimore, Turnovers Pittsburgh, sacks Baltimore

knownone

Reaction score
Ill reserve judgement until after this week. In the last 4 weeks the Seahawks have faced Joshua Dobbs, Philip Walker ,Daniel Jones and lost to Joe Burrow with one leg. Harder test on the road this weekend
Our defense held the Bengals to around 200 total yards on the road. That's roughly half of what your defense did at home.

94Smith

Reaction score
Our defense held the Bengals to around 200 total yards on the road. That's roughly half of what your defense did at home.
How many times was Joe Burrow under center and how many times did he scramble in your game genius? He was still injured and had a bye week to heal before the 49er game

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Sorry to be the sober second thought but its been a defensive cupcake schedule

Bro, read the OP, there is obviously still a lot prove on the field but compared to what we’ve had in the past especially post LOB years this is a scary defense with a lot of dependable to quality to great players in name or potential that on paper looks pretty damn good.