We have the best defense in the NFL

94Smith

Reaction score
Bro, read the OP, there is obviously still a lot prove on the field but compared to what we’ve had in the past especially post LOB years this is a scary defense with a lot of dependable to quality to great players in name or potential that on paper looks pretty damn good.
Bro the OP says you have the best defense in the league and you would be "hard pressed to hand pick a group of better players" . I would not be hard pressed to pick a group better players, in fact it would be quite easy to pick this seasons all pros at the mid way mark

knownone

Reaction score
How many times was Joe Burrow under center and how many times did he scramble in your game genius? He was still injured and had a bye week to heal before the 49er game
You tell me. How many times was he under center, and how many times did he scramble? Oh, sorry, I forgot the condescension... How many times, genius?

Nunya

Reaction score
I agree. The
I feel a need to pump the brakes a little here, because this D hasn't really proven much against good offenses with their first-string QBs playing. Detroit had the Hawks number, moved the ball and scored plenty, but gave us 14 points in turnovers and a couple 4th down failure turnovers. Yes, those "lucky breaks" were created by the D, but may be hard to replicate game-in and game-out.

Lamar and the Ravens--if the Hawks can shut down or even just limit that offense, in Baltimore, enough to get a W, THEN we can start talking about the potential greatness of this D. If we can hold that group under 20 points... major accomplishment. After all, the Ravens were up 35-0 on Detroit by halftime.

If it turns out the Hawks D can slow down the 49ers offense, and the Cowboys, and the Eagles... we will have something indeed.

Just because it "feels" like we have the horses on D, especially with the Leonard Williams signing, doesn't mean things will magically gel; I absolutely do hope this happens, kind of like a 2014 season where the D just became lights-out in the second half of the season. Can Clint Hurtt channel some Dan Quinn to help make this happen? Can the Hawks largely avoid season-ending injuries? Can the youngsters on the D continue to develop into legit NFL players? Can the D discover that playing-fast-and-together magic that powered the 2013 and 2014 Seahawk defenses?

I'd love to see it happen, just don't feel like anything is guaranteed, and things could even go backwards if a few bad things happen, e.g., injuries, other teams finding weaknesses to exploit, etc.
I agree. The D is good but there is plenty of room for improvements. Still too many missed assignment in the backfield and they have a serious problem covering the screen.

ivotuk

Reaction score
GP​
PA
PA/G​
YDS/G​
PYDS​
PYDS/G​
RYDS​
RYDS/G​
SCK​
SCK YDS​
DEF INT​
8​
14.6​
276.5​
1,413​
176.6​
799​
99.9​
31.0​
265​
8​
7​
19.7​
331.1​
1,640​
234.3​
678​
96.9​
26.0​
173​
6​

toffee

Reaction score
GP​
PA
PA/G​
YDS/G​
PYDS​
PYDS/G​
RYDS​
RYDS/G​
SCK​
SCK YDS​
DEF INT​
8​
14.6​
276.5​
1,413​
176.6​
799​
99.9​
31.0​
265​
8​
7​
19.7​
331.1​
1,640​
234.3​
678​
96.9​
26.0​
173​
6​
Top line's Ravens? Their defense is real good!

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
You must be beside yourself ecstatic AF IRRC you were drafting Witherspoon (really one of the only posters to really mock him before all the noise), Mazi Smith, and Jack Campbell to this defense.

While you didn’t get Smith or Campbell. You can’t really hate what Reed and Brooks are doing for what you wanted. Brooks is better than ever, last year he had to deal with a lot of growth in trying to be the man, and this year there was a lot of toughness and adversity he faced coming back from his injury pretty much on the quickest timeline. And Brooks took those lumps, those growing pains, and with Bobby back he just been able to stay in his own lane but also elevate himself into a more complete, more dynamic player.

Reed on the other hand, you know there’s a thread on how good he’s been, but in my head he’s been sort of a caged beast, carrying the burden of holding down the fort to make everything work and he’s still been lights out despite that weight.

Now the Seahawks went and got Williams. I see a similar scenario like with Bobby unlocking Brooks. Adding Williams is only going to help unlock Reeds cage and put him in better opportunities to do similar things he’s done in the past than just being the rock and the guard, and holding the fort.

I don’t think many people realize how good Leonard Williams can be and to pair him with Reed or being able to interchange them and give Reed some edge opportunities could be a big difference moving forward and it just going to help everyone.
I am ecstatic with what a great job they have done with the overhaul of this defense.

Gald Smith is with the Cowboys, and replacing Wagner is still on my mind even tho the ageless wonder plays on.

Cheers

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Also the Seahawks D does not lead the league in any metric. YPG - Cleveland, PPG - Baltimore, DVOA - Baltimore, Turnovers Pittsburgh, sacks Baltimore
Patience, grasshopper.

Hawks defense is in a state of transition from good to VERY good. Elite is potentially on the horizon. We'll just have to wait to see if we have the horses to get there. I happen to believe that we do have the horses... and we will get there.

Our team's defense is on the upswing while yours is not... and yes, it's a long season.

cymatica

Reaction score
Also the Seahawks D does not lead the league in any metric. YPG - Cleveland, PPG - Baltimore, DVOA - Baltimore, Turnovers Pittsburgh, sacks Baltimore
The defense went from below average to very good after the first few games. They've been one of the best defenses since they turned it around.

And no, Burrow didn't have one leg when we played him. The commentators even mentioned the Bengals weren't limiting Burrow in practice that week for the first time all year. The defense played lights out, Geno lost that game with the turnovers.

94Smith

Reaction score
You tell me. How many times was he under center, and how many times did he scramble? Oh, sorry, I forgot the condescension... How many times, genius?
I can tell you in the 49er game he was under Center 15 times and had 6 runs for 43 yards. Against the Seahawks, genius, he was under Center TWICE and had two runs for 4 yards. You only played 1/2 a quarterback and against 3/4 of a playbook. Joe burrow also had a noticeable limp in the Seahawks game and none against the 49ers. The bengals are just now hitting their stride

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
The addition of Frank Clark and Leonard Williams to this team has been fenomenal job by John and Pete to get us the pesonal that we need to make a run this year for another Championship season.

Cheers !

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Bro the OP says you have the best defense in the league and you would be "hard pressed to hand pick a group of better players" . I would not be hard pressed to pick a group better players, in fact it would be quite easy to pick this seasons all pros at the mid way mark
Again that is why no one asked you, you’re taking things too literally and at face value, but you should already know how to read in between the lines of context and optimism especially on the home teams board.

94Smith

Reaction score
Again that is why no one asked you, you’re taking things too literally and at face value, but you should already know how to read in between the lines of context and optimism especially on the home teams board.
😒 yes I agree the Seahawks defense is much improved and is a top 10 defense , Seahawks D is actually the strength of the team

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
No hard feelings, just so u know the 49ers are still scary too even though many of us here are trying to exaggerate their demise, they were 4-4 last season and still manned up the rest of the season and were right there competing for the NFC title with a 4th string QB.

94Smith

Reaction score
No hard feelings, just so u know the 49ers are still scary too even though many of us here are trying to exaggerate their demise, they were 4-4 last season and still manned up the rest of the season and were right there competing for the NFC title with a 4th string QB.
Im pissed off at the 49ers defense because they DEFINITELY have the horses to be number one overall but have been mid the last two weeks. They are missing Jimmy Ward and Demeco Ryans

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I feel like the Seahawks defense needs to get more turnovers AND get off the field after third downs.

I still see these as growing points for this defense.

The sacks numbers will fluctuate by game of course but as long as Seattle capitalizes on securing turnovers they should be in contention in December and play January games and hopefully February games.

Mick063

Reaction score
The opener with the Rams and that damn red headed veteran, Dalton, for the Panthers. Other than that, the defense has been suffocating.
We knew that the first four games were going to be tough because there were just too many new faces. They actually came together ahead of schedule.
They will shut up the Niner fan soon enough. In the NFC, I'm worried about the stacked Eagles.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Bro, read the OP, there is obviously still a lot prove on the field but compared to what we’ve had in the past especially post LOB years this is a scary defense with a lot of dependable to quality to great players in name or potential that on paper looks pretty damn good.
Well the OP did claim "best defense in the NFL". It's safe to say that strong claims require strong evidence. Baltimore will be the first real test of that since Week 3.

However, we are undoubtedly on an upward trajectory, with real difference makers even before Clark and Williams were added.

And perhaps they WILL win the day. It's worth noting that this defense hasn't allowed a second-half touchdown since Week 3. That's fun, and it could indicate a real turning of the corner waiting to be proven by a solid opponent. You'd expect elite defenses to do things like that to poor offenses.