Weather forecast for Minneapolis.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
dadof3":qq80nwmx said:
Why do they even put cities in places like that? It's hard to believe they can find that many people dumb enough to live in that crap
It's where your food staples are produced and in older times where all the meat was slaughtered and shipped out among a few other silly reasons.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
It's not the apocalypse folks...

Not even that cold really.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Uncle Si":18oywxsz said:

Hell in Kansas City it was 34° today. That's practically decent Spring weather. I haven't even worn my heavy coat or winter gear for more then two days yet and it's January.

Dizzlepdx

Reaction score
Polaris":6dn4dg9c said:
I admit this is all back-of-envelope approximations, but the idea that a heated field would blunt the cold in calm conditions is not at all outlandish. You see exactly the same effect around a fishing hole in a large lake under very cold conditions.

We'll know the field itself is a lot warmer when you see all the players just laying on the ground for a few seconds after every play.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":24w3hosl said:

Don't give them false confidence Si. The Arctic front moves in Saturday and you know it's going to be bitterly cold. Are you going this time?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Lack of wind is way more important than a very cold temp IMO. The forecast has consistently called for winds under 10 MPH. Not to discount a hard football from the cold, but at least passing won't be severely affected.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
seahawk Dan":2lyki5j8 said:
In minnestoa know just flew in snowing like crazy . very warm for minni . we will see has cold it gets
That's the front moving through. After the snow stops is when the temps dip.

Jville

Reaction score
CYLILa7WQAAPlQ6[tweet]https://twitter.com/seattletimes/status/685330192047456257[/tweet]

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":x914q3ua said:
seahawk Dan":x914q3ua said:
In minnestoa know just flew in snowing like crazy . very warm for minni . we will see has cold it gets
That's the front moving through. After the snow stops is when the temps dip.

We could get lucky and the cold may linger where it is...

but its Friday and the predictions aren't changing .

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It is what it is, luckily we have Russell who seems like he actually likes this kind of adversity.

So I fully expect us to perform just fine in the cold. You gonna trust a clutch QB like Russell with the cold, or a young QB from Miami playing in his first playoff game?

naholmes

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2hi9n1j6 said:
Lack of wind is way more important than a very cold temp IMO. The forecast has consistently called for winds under 10 MPH. Not to discount a hard football from the cold, but at least passing won't be severely affected.
Not anymore, the forecast says "breezy" now with winds at 14 mph, with gusts to 23 mph. That is right near the point where it will start affecting the passing games.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
naholmes":xgg7nobl said:
hawksfansinceday1":xgg7nobl said:
Not anymore, the forecast says "breezy" now with winds at 14 mph, with gusts to 23 mph. That is right near the point where it will start affecting the passing games.

NWS model has a wind of 7 MPH through the whole game period.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
bmorepunk":3c39wofq said:
naholmes":3c39wofq said:
hawksfansinceday1":3c39wofq said:

Meteorologist for the Twin Cities was just on the local sports radio show and said wind won't be much of a factor... light and steady in the shaded end..

Won't be fun for the fans though

muxpux

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2syrn7yc said:
naholmes":2syrn7yc said:
hawksfansinceday1":2syrn7yc said:

Yeah, people (non weather geeks) tend to flock to forecasts put out by either the tv guys or the big corporations like weather.com or the absurd accuweather. NWS (local office) is where I would turn for weather info. Basically the weather models spit numbers. The tv Mets will interpret it and put out a forecast. The big well known sites usually have no human input and just put out a forecast on computer data alone. The NWS is a group of highly trained individuals who are very well versed in the local weather nuances who put out a forecast based on computer data, personal experience (past events), and local factors (local equivelant would be the Frazier River valley outflow in Bellingham and Puget sound convergence zone)

I point this out because like some of you break down the X's and O's as opposed to watching football casually, I'm the same way with the weather. I don't just look at the forecast. I'll read all the technical breakdowns, look at the models myself, and obsess more than the average person. This doesn't mean I'm anymore right. A broken clock is right twice a day, and the weather in the Midwest (not counting thunderstorm season) is generally a LOT easier to forecast than around here. -- we have the mountains, the ocean, and all sorts of factors that affect our weather, as opposed to open flat land.

All that being said, the NWS forecast for Minneapolis, and the hourly chart for Sunday showing above zero temps, and winds around 7, and wind chills around -15. Cold, but not crazy. The 08 NFC championship between Green Bay and NY Giants was -4 and wind chills around -24, a game that amassed almost 500 yards of passing, despite the "cold means running game". I mean, it's fun to talk, but in the end, they are going to play football.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,180
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,180

pmedic920

Reaction score
a56dc4dd44cf8a50ddbced7f26902b97.jpg

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
@muxpux, I usually look at the local weather and discard what the announcer is saying. I look at the map and see what the doppler radar and other sources are saying about what it going on too. They dont call him Lying Larry for nothing. NO, I repeat NO rain in the forecast......yup...rain is coming.