Webb is this years Carey Williams

HawkerD

Reaction score
dogorama":gkssgsuk said:
seabowl":gkssgsuk said:
Just like when we picked up Williams last year many on this board were again upset with the contract that was given to Webb and so far it appears he sucks too. I guess the hope is that they don't try and force Webb into playing action just based on the money he was paid. My only question is why can't we seem to sign a lineman that is actually somewhat good?

Do you really think he is worse than Gilliam? Gilliam single-handedly caused the safety tonight on a mistake he has made in every single game so far.

The way Brock explained it was that Gilliam's Responsibility was to pick up the free running blitzer coming through the B gap and leave Boykin needed to deal with the outside rusher.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
HawkerD":3v82bb1i said:
dogorama":3v82bb1i said:
seabowl":3v82bb1i said:
Just like when we picked up Williams last year many on this board were again upset with the contract that was given to Webb and so far it appears he sucks too. I guess the hope is that they don't try and force Webb into playing action just based on the money he was paid. My only question is why can't we seem to sign a lineman that is actually somewhat good?

Do you really think he is worse than Gilliam? Gilliam single-handedly caused the safety tonight on a mistake he has made in every single game so far.

The way Brock explained it was that Gilliam's Responsibility was to pick up the free running blitzer coming through the B gap and leave Boykin needed to deal with the outside rusher.

That was my impression. I think Fant was beaten pretty badly on that play. So it was a combination of factors: a green QB who is learning how to adjust the protection and pressure coming in both directions.

kearly

Reaction score
Hawks46":zc8dgk1b said:
Gilliam didn't make a mistake. He blocked down on the man inside. That's what you're supposed to do as a Tackle: if you have two men coming free, you take the inside one. The one on the outside has a longer path to the QB, and pressure up the middle kills the pocket and messes most QB's up worse. The edge guy is the QB's responsibility in that situation.

It might be that I am thinking of a different play, but one of the sacks Giliam gave up came when he and Ifedi double teamed a guy and let the outside man run free. It was miscommunication, and clearly a mistake. It's true that taking the inside man on a 2-1 situation is the correct move, however it wasn't a 2-1 situation. It was a misread by Gilliam by the looks of it.

kearly

Reaction score
HawkerD":23tu85mf said:

I love Brock's commentary and analysis. That said even the best can get things wrong in the moment without the benefit of instant replay. I'll report my findings when I rewatch the game later.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
HawkerD":1ovnixov said:

Don't remember the details of the play but for blitzes it's pass-blocking 101 to go from inside out (meaning, if it's what it sounds like, Gillam did what he's supposed to do. Was there someone lined up even shade over the guard?) .

dogorama

Reaction score
Popeyejones":lppg1njv said:
HawkerD":lppg1njv said:

Don't remember the details of the play but for blitzes it's pass-blocking 101 to go from inside out (meaning, if it's what it sounds like, Gillam did what he's supposed to do. Was there someone lined up even shade over the guard?) .

Technically he did do what he was supposed to do but if you watch the play he waits for the LB and by the time the LB gets to him the D-end is already in the backfield. If he would have taken the outside he would have given the QB an opportunity to roll out to the right and either throw or run for some yds. After I watched it though the biggest problem was the play itself. It was a no-win situation for everybody involved.