Well done Darrell Bevell & Tom Cable

dogorama

Reaction score
In a real forum for discussion, there would be no way to identify the author of the message, each posting would be judged on the merits of its substance or lack thereof. Posters would be unable to develop petty feuds or pigeon-hole their adversaries into inaccurate static positions. Those with contentious inferiority complexes and/or feelings of grandiose supremacy would similarly be unable to act out their abusive behavior within the safe confines of an anonymous electronic dialogue.

Sounds good huh?

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
dogorama":22bkrw11 said:
In a real forum for discussion, there would be no way to identify the author of the message, each posting would be judged on the merits of its substance or lack thereof. Posters would be unable to develop petty feuds or pigeon-hole their adversaries into inaccurate static positions. Those with contentious inferiority complexes and/or feelings of grandiose supremacy would similarly be unable to act out their abusive behavior within the safe confines of an anonymous electronic dialogue.

Sounds good huh?
After >55K posts in a different sport's forum it's obvious to me too that long-time tendencies get established, etc, etc.

Re: 'the merits of the substance' yes, agreed, posters who play the ball more than the man typically contribute better but human nature is what it is, even including on the real field of play.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Sorry,

I get you think I have an axe to grind. I admittedly do not like the persona that Bevell projects. But I don't know the guy in real life, he could be very different from who he seems to be. It really does not matter, what matters is the results.

But calling people out after 1 game against a weak opponent as an example everything is fine is borderline intellectually dishonest. We have 3 games so far, 2 have been wanting, 1 looks good. Admittedly, Bevell is hamstrung by one of the least talented OL and least skilled OL in the game. And we have had injuries.

But using the "We beat the 49ers so everything must be working" callout is bizarre. You don't get to crow about beating one of the least effective teams in the league when you SHOULD beat one of the least effective teams in the league.

So we have a sample size of 1 set of good results vs a sample size of 2 pretty poor results.

Would an average OC beat SF with this team? I think so.

Is beating SF a sign that everything is working or more an indicator that SF has some problems?

IF this team had beaten Carolina or the Patriots? Sure. But SF or the Jags won't get too many people to admit there was much degree of difficulty. Maybe GB but SF AT HOME?!? A win is a win but to use that as a benchmark for the health of our offensive attack? That would be reaching bigtime.

Jville

Reaction score
Thank you Darrell Bevell and Tom Cable.

It was a beautiful show. Enjoyed it immensely.

Fade

Reaction score
Opponent. I'm glad they kicked the crap out of the Niners. Unfortunately teams of their caliber will not make the playoffs.
They got to show they can do it against playoff level competition, and stout defensive lines, or it is irrelevant.

So far against those kind of teams.
12 pts
3 pts
The Jets ??? We'll see.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
I'll give praise when it's due and criticism when warranted. Bevell and Cable did a marvelous job yesterday. The line played their best all season, allowed plenty of time for Russ and Boykin. The running game was orchestrated tremendously- no predictable or senseless up the gut calls and the holes were created for the backs. And the passing gameplan incorporating Graham was just what we wanted to see. No complaints at all for yesterday's playcalls or coaching.

But I echo what others have said in that we need to see this consistently and some ingenuity against better opponents.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3vy3qug2 said:
I'll give praise when it's due and criticism when warranted. Bevell and Cable did a marvelous job yesterday. The line played their best all season, allowed plenty of time for Russ and Boykin. The running game was orchestrated tremendously- no predictable or senseless up the gut calls and the holes were created for the backs. And the passing gameplan incorporating Graham was just what we wanted to see. No complaints at all for yesterday's playcalls or coaching.

But I echo what others have said in that we need to see this consistently and some ingenuity against better opponents.

need to see more?

What about the last four years where they consistently finished in the top 10 for DVOA?

Or last year where they had the #1 offense in the league?

Fade

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":29v7p9ju said:

Where was that #1 offense in the playoffs, and against the Rams at the end of the year?

Post Marshawn Lynch, they have to prove they can have success against playoff teams, and physical d-lines.

Beating up on tomato cans is fun, and highly enjoyable, but in the big picture of things, it means nothing if they turn around and get dominated by teams like the Dolphins, Rams, & Jets.

This upcoming Jets game will be interesting, for this very reason.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Aren't the Dolphins and Rams coming off of Sunday wins?

Look, Pete has constructed this offense, but Bevell is the engineer he has hired to maintain it. Sure, losing a major part like Marshawn has necessitated an overhaul, but considering we are 2-1 right now with our head piston a little shaky due to injuries, I'd have to say Bevell is golden-wrench certified.

But yes, he has to continue to give the offense the road map to arrive at their destination of success. It's his job. But considering the Hawks are enjoying their nicest ride ever in the history of the franchise, there's no legitimate reason to doubt that we're in good hands with him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jets in my mind is a trap game, coming off big win over the 49ers and confident maybe overly so, 10 AM start, Jets rebound game after pathetic offensive showing and wanting to get back on track, and they had a come to Jesus meeting whatever that means. Plus on paper the Jets defense is suppose to be very good as well and did a face plant last week.

This is the type of character game played to see with injuries, travel, a good win and a team that has it's tails between it's legs we should play with tenacity. A team that is doubting itself is already down and you just have to have the killer instinct to put your foot on their throat, we don't want a team meeting like the Rams did to wake them up and have us reacting to a reinvigorated team with now answer for it.

Bevell and Cable I hope don't go into safe mode just because were on the road.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
from at http://www.fieldgulls.com/kenneth-arthu ... e-seahawks

In my opinion, Darrell Bevell is a good offensive coordinator and we do not know enough about the inner-workings of meetings and practices to assume that Tom Cable is a bad coach.
Let’s lump these two universally-disliked-when-things-aren’t-going-right coaches together. Bevell is the easy one; the Seahawks were 1st in offensive DVOA in 2015 and he’s helped orchestrate some historically-good offensive performances since 2012 (his second season with the team), including a Hall of Fame-level career for Marshawn Lynch, record-breaking stats for Wilson, and the maturation of Doug Baldwin into an elite receiver. He did all of this despite the fact that during his time with the team, the only offensive players they drafted in the first round were Russell Okung (6th overall) and James Carpenter (26th overall).

Speaking of which, how could anyone possibly know enough about what goes on between Cable, Pete Carroll, Bevell, and his players, to know that the reason the offensive line sucks is because Cable sucks as a coach?

chris98251

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":2d3c0mhk said:

In my opinion, Darrell Bevell is a good offensive coordinator and we do not know enough about the inner-workings of meetings and practices to assume that Tom Cable is a bad coach.
Let’s lump these two universally-disliked-when-things-aren’t-going-right coaches together. Bevell is the easy one; the Seahawks were 1st in offensive DVOA in 2015 and he’s helped orchestrate some historically-good offensive performances since 2012 (his second season with the team), including a Hall of Fame-level career for Marshawn Lynch, record-breaking stats for Wilson, and the maturation of Doug Baldwin into an elite receiver. He did all of this despite the fact that during his time with the team, the only offensive players they drafted in the first round were Russell Okung (6th overall) and James Carpenter (26th overall).

Speaking of which, how could anyone possibly know enough about what goes on between Cable, Pete Carroll, Bevell, and his players, to know that the reason the offensive line sucks is because Cable sucks as a coach?

Ok everyone brings up 2015, this isn't the same team, different O line, different running back, new TE's or one that was gone most of last year, only constant is Wilson and the WR's. We have Wilson now with two injuries, this offense needs to protect Wilson or he is going to end up being a casualty, without his ability to scramble he will be a more stationary target, that means taking bigger hits, something he isn't going to be able to take game to game very long. The O line is doing better now, but the coaches need to scheme with the above in mind, competitors are living in the moment many times trying to win and stretch out plays, calling plays that don't put him in a situation as often will keep him upright till he is healthy again.

xgeoff

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":24sfnga9 said:
...Speaking of which, how could anyone possibly know enough about what goes on between Cable, Pete Carroll, Bevell, and his players, to know that the reason the offensive line sucks is because Cable sucks as a coach?

The thing I don't like about Cable is that his offensive lines here struggle with personnel who look like they're doing a poor job. Carpenter and Okung are examples. I have thought they looked terrible for us. And this is just me seeing them try to block opponents and failing. Simple as that.

Now you see Carpenter and Okung are THRIVING on other teams. I saw Carpenter play for the Jets soon after leaving the Hawks and he looked like a beast. I was like "WTF, who is this guy?". Looked like a COMPLETELY different player.

Okung is being considered for the Pro Bowl!? He got manhandled so many times last year. So who do you pin the responsibility on for that? It could be the player, but with this happening to multiple players it's unlikely that is the case. It could be the offensive scheme, but it doesn't seem to me that is the case.

Who's left? What is the common denominator? Who is responsible for the Offensive Line schemes and responsibilities? Who is responsible for the linemen being successful in what they're trying to do. I think it's Cable.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
xgeoff":2k0ndr0l said:
LeftHandSmoke":2k0ndr0l said:
...Speaking of which, how could anyone possibly know enough about what goes on between Cable, Pete Carroll, Bevell, and his players, to know that the reason the offensive line sucks is because Cable sucks as a coach?

The thing I don't like about Cable is that his offensive lines here struggle with personnel who look like they're doing a poor job. Carpenter and Okung are examples. I have thought they looked terrible for us. And this is just me seeing them try to block opponents and failing. Simple as that.

Now you see Carpenter and Okung are THRIVING on other teams. I saw Carpenter play for the Jets soon after leaving the Hawks and he looked like a beast. I was like "WTF, who is this guy?". Looked like a COMPLETELY different player.

Okung is being considered for the Pro Bowl!? He got manhandled so many times last year. So who do you pin the responsibility on for that? It could be the player, but with this happening to multiple players it's unlikely that is the case. It could be the offensive scheme, but it doesn't seem to me that is the case.

Who's left? What is the common denominator? Who is responsible for the Offensive Line schemes and responsibilities? Who is responsible for the linemen being successful in what they're trying to do. I think it's Cable.

I think your critical Seahawk expectations and emotions are tricking you.........yes Carp struggled for his first couple years. But as soon as he got his weight right he was a very good guard, especially in the run game.

Okung has ALWAYS been a top 10 LT, again when healthy, same with Unger. Breno and Sweezy both good lineman, but not great.

We keep coming back to this, the question isn't why are these guys good elsewhere and not here. The question is do we overpay for lineman that have a consistency problem AND miss games due to injuries...........because that's what other teams are doing, overpaying for our guys because that's their offensive philosophy, to dedicate a large part of their cap on the O-line.

Neither is right, it's pick your poison........and Pete and John have decided to dedicate the majority of our cap to the defense and skrimp on the O-line.

dogorama

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2mqk2ya0 said:
West TX Hawk":2mqk2ya0 said:

need to see more?

What about the last four years where they consistently finished in the top 10 for DVOA?

#1 offense in the league? Talk about a skewed stat, where does this come from? Certainly not from reality, because we know that we were the #1 defense by points allowed SO, how do we end up w/10 wins, having to depend on a missed chip-shot FG in the 1st round, and then go down 31-zip in the 2nd round? Please tell me because if you are extrapolating worthless misleading stats wouldn't it be statistically impossible for a team that has both the #1 offense AND #1 defense not to end up with a better record and home field advantage?

This the problem with people trying to extrapolate stats to further their own agenda, they simply do not tell the whole story and in this case, are VERY misleading.

No, we have a great QB who played very well the second half but lopsided wins against 3-win and 5-win teams and opportunistic outcomes against a Vikings team missing all of their key defensive players coupled w/a week 17 36-6 win when the season was already decided doesn't make you a #1 offense.

BTW, since you keep claiming this #1 offense w/o providing a link here is the team leaders by total and category from NFL's own website. Note that nowhere does it say we were #1 in any offensive category. We were not even in the top-5 in passing and the only reason we were in the top-5 in rushing is because of RW's improvised runs which, btw, having NOTHING to do w/Bevell's play calling. (In addition to that, these stats are also skewed by the aforementioned games in the 2nd half.)

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team?seasonId= ... &Submit=Go

StoneCold

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":26wzz8xv said:

Please stop trying to destroy the world with your attempt to rip the space time continuum with these sensible posts. Please! Just Stop!

dogorama

Reaction score
StoneCold":erzluqpa said:
LeftHandSmoke":erzluqpa said:

Please stop trying to destroy the world with your attempt to rip the space time continuum with these sensible posts. Please! Just Stop!

I respect your opinion Stone but who in hell is Kenneth Arthur? Has he played the game? coached? Does he have a brother or distant relative who played?

Kenneth Arthur is a blogger and he's done that for a whole ten years. Does that make him the final word on Bevell and Cable? It doesn't even make him the final word on which brand of toilet paper is best.

http://seattle.sbnation.com/authors/kenneth-arthur

dogorama

Reaction score
DavidSeven":lts0ezrl said:
dogorama":lts0ezrl said:
#1 offense in the league? Talk about a skewed stat, where does this come from?

Their offense was ranked #1 by DVOA, which is the most cited and objective stat in the business.

Here: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff2015

Thank you for at least providing a link David, but it is the "most cited" by those whose position it supports and it is NOT objective, it is a statistic and thus, a contradiction in terms.

Jville

Reaction score
:229031_shrug: From time to time a clear and persistent example of resentment for a coordinator/coach/player along with intolerance toward the views of fans who independently appreciate their work and play makes itself known.