What an unbelievable draft

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
kearly":2js27fa9 said:
Feels a bit like a Ruskell draft. Targeting role players very very early. Trading down in round 1, then trading up in round 2. Drafting character guys over athletes.

After hearing JS's "200 players on his big board" comment, and then looking at how the draft was sorely lacking athletes, I figured the PCJS approach might be different this year. But I didn't think it would be this different.

I think Vannett was my favorite pick today. Bevell is going to have to earn his paycheck finding ways to scheme Vannett open because he's never going to win matchups, but otherwise he's a stud.

This is the second post you have made comparing it to a Ruskell draft. What are you just bitter because your predictions were wrong get over it. Nothing about this draft was Ruskellian may be if they took Martin in the second I'd consider that a Ruskell move instead they took a great football player with 1st round talent a monster run stuffing DT . Stop with the Ruskell crap please.

Largent80

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1x40e9q9 said:
Superb draft and PCJS handed the rest of the league an absolute arse kicking in UDFA. Unreal who they managed to sign up after the draft. Truly incredible in terms of numbers and quality.

The Hawks Hauled the Mail. Awesome draft and UDFA.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3pogmlag said:
Superb draft and PCJS handed the rest of the league an absolute arse kicking in UDFA. Unreal who they managed to sign up after the draft. Truly incredible in terms of numbers and quality.

I agree Superb draft every pick was solid .

cheese22

Reaction score
I loved the draft but our UDFA list is pretty talented also. Obviously, we don't know how many stick, but it's easy to see all but 2 of our picks making the 53. Then, you could realistically see 4 or 5 of the UDFA'S as well. I doubt they keep that many rookies but there's a lot of situational talent to fill the wholes. Can't wait to see who makes the cut.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3rkgxzkx said:
kearly":3rkgxzkx said:
Feels a bit like a Ruskell draft. Targeting role players very very early. Trading down in round 1, then trading up in round 2. Drafting character guys over athletes.

After hearing JS's "200 players on his big board" comment, and then looking at how the draft was sorely lacking athletes, I figured the PCJS approach might be different this year. But I didn't think it would be this different.

I think Vannett was my favorite pick today. Bevell is going to have to earn his paycheck finding ways to scheme Vannett open because he's never going to win matchups, but otherwise he's a stud.

This is the second post you have made comparing it to a Ruskell draft. What are you just bitter because your predictions were wrong get over it. Nothing about this draft was Ruskellian may be if they took Martin in the second I'd consider that a Ruskell move instead they took a great football player with 1st round talent a monster run stuffing DT . Stop with the Ruskell crap please.

Don't feed the troll.

delagator7

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2sk0bzuj said:
Just CRUSHING it.

Give JS his damn exec of the year award already

I would of said the Jaguars, but Seahawks have more guys with less medical red flags who I feel can contribute right away; So Yes Pete and John are the winners
The loser is the GM of the Bucs, who thought drafting a K in the 2nd round was more important that picking up more DL and OL.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kearly":2j1ah64r said:
Drafting character guys over athletes.
Just wanted to quickly comment on this part of what you said.

You know, the guys might all be high character guys. But, perhaps more than simply just that, I think the thing that is consistent is that they're players that hunger for the game, leaders/team captains, chip on the shoulder kind of guys. Maybe not all of them all of that to a "T", but listening to the media interviews after the selections, that theme seemed to surface. They got guys that are out to prove they belong and have the tools to do it.

So, while those selected may not necessarily be superior athletes at their various positions compared to other prospects, the mental aspect of their game and their drive to succeed can be a powerful thing when assembled together with other players aiming for the same goal together on a field. That's the treasure to be found in a draft class.

titan3131

Reaction score
Hey just wanted to check in...

today had been rough I STILL have the giant boner from how awesome this draft class is.

And now plotting out the UDFA positions its not losing any strength.

wife is exhausted and can no longer help, I dont know what to do.

chris98251

Reaction score
titan3131":3t1zhi1n said:
Hey just wanted to check in...

today had been rough I STILL have the giant boner from how awesome this draft class is.

And now plotting out the UDFA positions its not losing any strength.

wife is exhausted and can no longer help, I dont know what to do.

I am sure if you take your problem to the Shack and ask you will get lot of unique ideas and maybe some volunteer help.

Seafan

Reaction score
I'm excited in the sense that I know a lot of the players who the Hawks just picked up. That doesn't mean they are necessarily great players.

If the Hawks come out of this with a player like Mebane, a more than solid main stay on the DL who never was a pro bowler but played like one.

Find a solid starter or two on the OL.

Find a good backup RB/third down back.

Find a servicable backup QB.

Find some LB/Leo depth.

Find a solid blocking TE.

Find some overall depth replacements that move several of the borderline players off the roster and gives the
Hawks an infusion of hungry youthful toughness and brings our special teams back to its former dominance

then I think this draft can be considered great.

We'll see.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":27y5cur4 said:
kearly":27y5cur4 said:

And this is the second post you've made trying to make things personal. Nobody's impressed. A guy can have his opinion.

I'm a little kinder on this draft, but the point was well-made that some of these guys are highly limited unless they take serious developmental steps forward, fast. "High floor and low ceiling" seems to describe the theme well. But then again, while you COULD find a run-stuffer or blocking TE for peanuts later on, the Seahawks have been trying to do that for years and not done so well. I get the sense that Reed/Vannett were Jimmy Graham picks - i.e. "enough with gambling with the bargain bin, time to open the wallet."

B+ for me after factoring in the very exciting UDFA crop. A lot of those guys could have been drafted.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":8ej0srmk said:
Northwest Seahawk":8ej0srmk said:
kearly":8ej0srmk said:

And this is the second post you've made trying to make things personal. Nobody's impressed. A guy can have his opinion.

I'm a little kinder on this draft, but the point was well-made that some of these guys are highly limited unless they take serious developmental steps forward, fast. "High floor and low ceiling" seems to describe the theme well. But then again, while you COULD find a run-stuffer or blocking TE for peanuts later on, the Seahawks have been trying to do that for years and not done so well. I get the sense that Reed/Vannett were Jimmy Graham picks - i.e. "enough with gambling with the bargain bin, time to open the wallet."

B+ for me after factoring in the very exciting UDFA crop. A lot of those guys could have been drafted.

A guy can have his opinion yes but your wrong I'm not attacking Kearly personally . I am attacking his opinion that the draft was Ruskellian. I actually respect Kearly and his opinions but this one was just to far off the mark . In order for it to be a Ruskell draft you have take undersized Choir boy's that's not what they did.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Felt kind of "meat and potatoes" in a good way though. There are stars all over the place on this roster.

I think of Vannett and Reed in Steelers terms - Heath Miller (great blocking TE) and Casey Hampton (immovable run defender) weren't flashy players with highlight reels, but they were pillars that you win with, I see Vannett and Reed much the same way.

kearly

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3kjogx1v said:
Northwest Seahawk":3kjogx1v said:
kearly":3kjogx1v said:

Actually, the seahawks have been very successful at acquiring run stuffers on a budget the past few years. Oddly they have completely avoided y tight ends for years (to my personal aggrevation.). That's why I said nice things about the Vannett pick even though he's probably no more than a reverse Luke Willson. Vannett isn't bound for glory but he does fit an important role that really should have been patched a year ago if not sooner.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
It's damn funny watching draftniks like Kearny and others do the full back pedal. They might be right but they hate being called out and cannot deal with it when that call out is spot on.

kearly

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1v27mbjf said:
It's damn funny watching draftniks like Kearny and others do the full back pedal. They might be right but they hate being called out and cannot deal with it when that call out is spot on.

Disrespectful tone included, there is so much wrong with this post.

For starters, nobody is back pedaling. I have the same opinions now that I had on draft day. You can look it up.

Second, I said many times BEFORE the draft that the 2016 draft pool was one of the weakest I've ever seen, and that there wasn't a single player I felt was "must" draft. So it wasn't a case of them not drafting my pet prospects, because I didn't have any. My critique comes from what I perceive to be a draft full of Jordan hill's and Luke Willson's in Seattle's draft haul, middling talents with limited roles or limited positional value.

But I also said, immediately after the draft, that these types of Picks do have their place every now and then, I was only disappointed in that seattle essentially made their entire draft about these types of limited players. Limited by role as much as by talent. I don't see 3 pro bowlers in this draft. I see a lot of niche players who will adequately fill minor roles. Given that the draft pool was the least athletic and least physically talented in some time, I think pcjs at least timed this sort of draft well. Which is why I gave this draft a passing grade. I gave the 2014 draft a failing grade when it happened and as of today it remains the only bad grade I've given a PCJS draft at the time.

The only thing your "spot on" posters have proven is how emotional and personal they become when faced with detailed and intelligent opinions that they disagree with, without even for a moment taking time to seriously consider the points made by the other side.

It's unfortunate, but sometimes people forget that the real reason we are here is talk football, not draw lines in the sand and call people names. They also forget that talent evaluation is a fluid process that continues long after the draft. Players that stink now could develop into great players later and vice- versa. I said months ago that despite my opinions on some of these players, I am as excited as ever to see them in action this preseason. I want to see how they develop, and I want to hopefully discover what it is that the FO sees in them that I cannot.

McGruff

Reaction score
Good on ya, Kearly!

This was a weird draft for two reasons. First because it was really weak IMO and very unSeahawky even before a pick was made. Just a very blah, unathletic draft.

But what made it weirder was John boasting about how great it was before the draft. Best and deepest ever, I think he said. It made no sense.

And they came out of it with probably half the picks being what you expect from Seattle (Ifedi, Procise, Jefferson and Brooks) and half of them being very safe (Reed, Odhiambo, Hunt, Vannett, Collins and Lawler). But in the end, it was what the draft gave them.

I do get the feeling that after 2013 they made a significant shift in their thinking. During that time Pete was having conversations with a woman named Angela Duckworth about a book project called "Grit" and they'd just spent draft captial on guys like Christine Michael, Tharold Simon and Michael Bowie . . . good athletes with prototype size, but questionable passion for the game. After that Schnieder mentioned something about learning from their mistakes and they started talking about drafting "overcomers" . . . people who had to fight the odds to get to the top.

I think we're seeing a lot of that in the last few classes. Guys with a lot of passion for the game, and lot of desire and motivation, and guys who want to be the best. I think there is a lot of that in this class . . . but I don't think there is a lot of physical skill set to back it up.

Still, if "Grit" is real (I'm at the beginning of the book right now) then i wouldn't past some of these guys we think are "meh" to rise up and surprise us.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2tdli43l said:

Can you please not call out Kearly? His posts are honestly a big reason why I visit Seahawks.net because he provides so much amazing football insight in his posts. I'd rather read a post from Kearly about how bad our draft is if he's right, and quite frankly I think he is right. This draft doesn't seem great at first glance.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1fr91nt9 said:
MontanaHawk05":1fr91nt9 said:
Northwest Seahawk":1fr91nt9 said:
kearly":1fr91nt9 said:

A guy can have his opinion yes but your wrong I'm not attacking Kearly personally . I am attacking his opinion that the draft was Ruskellian. I actually respect Kearly and his opinions but this one was just to far off the mark . In order for it to be a Ruskell draft you have take undersized Choir boy's that's not what they did.

Hindsight is 20/20. I'm sure you had the opinion back in Tim Ruskell's days that his drafts were "Ruskellian" and he only took "undersized choir boys".

Didn't there use to be a saying among Seahawk fans "In Ruskell we trust"?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I did say he could be correct I just disagree about the draft being termed Ruskell like. Either way everyone will find out eventually if it actually was.

Latest posts