What an unbelievable draft

hawksfan515

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":w7dxxxup said:
I did say he could be correct I just disagree about the draft being termed Ruskell like. Either way everyone will find out eventually if it actually was.

Great. While I hope Kearly is wrong, because I am a Seahawks fan, I don't think he is. I don't see how Reed will ever become a plus pass rusher in this league, along with Vanette being a plus receiving tight end. They will hopefully be great role players, but compared to Lockett and Clark from a year before I do not expect anywhere near as much from them.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawksfan515":3ozpz1d4 said:
MizzouHawkGal":3ozpz1d4 said:
I did say he could be correct I just disagree about the draft being termed Ruskell like. Either way everyone will find out eventually if it actually was.

Great. While I hope Kearly is wrong, because I am a Seahawks fan, I don't think he is. I don't see how Reed will ever become a plus pass rusher in this league, along with Vanette being a plus receiving tight end. They will hopefully be great role players, but compared to Lockett and Clark from a year before I do not expect anywhere near as much from them.
Isn't America great? Everyone can have an opinion as long as they don't call other people stupid. But they can disagree regardless.

kearly

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1xyzeoav said:
Isn't America great? Everyone can have an opinion as long as they don't call other people stupid. But they can disagree regardless.

Nice.

I actually love it when people disagree with me constructively, because I often form opinions before hearing 100% of the facts and constructive criticism helps set me straight. Back when I used to blog on 17 power I'd always publish my random thoughts here first because I wanted a message board to set me straight before I hit submit on a larger platform. I'd much rather be on the right side of an issue than cling to false beliefs, so I'll always listen if you recognize a fact that I am not aware of.

It's when people get emotional about this stuff that I draw the line. Of course, I've been emotional on some subjects myself, so I understand where they are coming from, even if it is wrong.

kearly

Reaction score
McGruff":1a0rnq1p said:
I do get the feeling that after 2013 they made a significant shift in their thinking. During that time Pete was having conversations with a woman named Angela Duckworth about a book project called "Grit" and they'd just spent draft captial on guys like Christine Michael, Tharold Simon and Michael Bowie . . . good athletes with prototype size, but questionable passion for the game. After that Schnieder mentioned something about learning from their mistakes and they started talking about drafting "overcomers" . . . people who had to fight the odds to get to the top.

I could not agree more. I remember when JS admitted to a change in draft strategy before the 2014 draft, talking about wanting guys who love the game and making that a bigger draft priority.

I think this mostly came as a response not to Michael or Simon (who play hard and seem to love the game), but to Percy. Percy is the ultimate example of a talented athlete that doesn't really love the game the right way. He showed Pete what a REAL clubhouse cancer looks like. It could be argued, based on how much or how little stock you put in the Tate rumors, that Percy was the reason we let Tate go for Peanuts. Percy didn't just hurt himself, he hurt the team and maybe have cost us other players beyond himself.

From 2010-2013 I felt like I had my finger on the pulse of this team. Seattle was identifying the best prospects I found (Irvin, Wilson, Okung, Tate, Lane to name a few), and then identifying other prospects I had no idea about who were just as good or better. There are certain players you just know will be stars if they go to the right team (Bobby Wagner, Kam Chancellor, etc), and Seattle was really good at getting those players. Everything they did made complete sense to me (other than the CBJ trade).

In 2014 and again in 2016, it felt like some other team did the drafting for Seattle. It's too early to judge 2016 so I'll leave that draft out of it, but in 2014 even at the time it first happened I felt like Seattle drafted a bunch of camp bodies and hype jobs.

When Seattle had success in 2015, it was because they got back to drafting explosive athletes with awesome tape just like they had from 2010-2013 again.

Obviously, Seattle struck out in 2013 but a lot of that is really just bad luck. Imagine if Harvin, Michael, Simon and Bailey had simply played to their talent level, they would have made that draft by themselves. I think Seattle over-reacted to that 2013 offseason and took things too far in the opposite direction afterwards, which is why we've only had a couple of cornerstone players come out of the draft after 2012.

Then again, I also need to humble myself and remember that the team itself is changing, so naturally the drafting might change with it. Seattle is becoming a more finesse team, so perhaps those finesse type of picks that wouldn't have worked in 2010 might work in 2016.

Funny thing is, I don't see a lot of grit in this draft class, other than Jarran Reed in interviews. Other than 1st pick Germain Ifedi and UDFA Brandin Bryant, I didn't see a lot of nastiness or ass-kicker mentality. I think the whole personality thing is overblown, especially after the first round. For every Johnny Football and Percy Harvin you have a Honey Badger and Marshawn Lynch, etc. On the whole, taking a chance on talent is a chance worth taking, which is exactly what got Seattle to such a high place to begin with.

They've basically drafted for athletic players with dominant tape in five of their seven drafts, with the exception of 2014 and 2016. In those five drafts Seattle has done very very well, with the exception of 2013. Who am I to say they are stupid, but from my layman's perspective it seems like 4/5 is a pretty successful methodology.

As far as JS's comments about the 2016 draft before and after. Part of me understands his excitement. His UDFA haul was pretty impressive, so from his point of view it probably feels like he got 20+ draft picks this year. I get the impression that Seattle doesn't always get their man in UDFA but in 2016 they appeared to get a ton of players they were targeting at the gun of UDFA.

The other part of me is skeptical. Remember the scout saying that KPL was Navarro Bowman 2.0? Or that Luke Willson was the player Seattle planned their draft around? Remember Tom Cable praising Mike Person and Drew Nowak? JS was asked his favorite pick in the 2012 draft right after it happened. He named Russell W... oh wait no, he named Greg Scruggs. It's funny because the best players Seattle has drafted rarely got these kinds of gushing reviews from the FO post-draft. I think a lot of this kind of talk is as much about these guys talking themselves into the decisions they've made as much as anything else.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I am cautiously optimistic about this group, but I think we need to remember that they have played zero downs in the NFL so far. My personal opinion is that every one of these kids could be a decent (if not excellent) player in this league and everyone of them could be a bust.

With respect to the OL, I have heard comments from pundits like John Clayton, Gee Scott, Brock, Salk, etc., that make this group's play sound *decent* but the commentary is also somewhat measured.

Lots of good things said about Ifedi but I think we'll know immediately when the season starts whether he is a boom or bust. I am very happy about the signing of Jahri Evans, as Jamarcus Webb sounds like he is in no condition mentally or physically to start at RT. My thought is that Ifedi will probably shift over to that position.

I have thought that Britt was a piece of garbage but certainly think it is possible that he could come into his own at C. Hey, I'm an optimist. I am hoping that I need to post an apology that I was wrong about drafting Ifedi. It would make me feel good to say I was wrong about him. Everything I've heard from camp is that he's really good. Am really hoping I was wrong about my eval.

ivotuk

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2ttek6if said:
Northwest Seahawk":2ttek6if said:
Northwest Seahawk":2ttek6if said:
kearly":2ttek6if said:
Feels a bit like a Ruskell draft. Targeting role players very very early. Trading down in round 1, then trading up in round 2. Drafting character guys over athletes.

After hearing JS's "200 players on his big board" comment, and then looking at how the draft was sorely lacking athletes, I figured the PCJS approach might be different this year. But I didn't think it would be this different.

I think Vannett was my favorite pick today. Bevell is going to have to earn his paycheck finding ways to scheme Vannett open because he's never going to win matchups, but otherwise he's a stud.

This is the second post you have made comparing it to a Ruskell draft. What are you just bitter because your predictions were wrong get over it. Nothing about this draft was Ruskellian may be if they took Martin in the second I'd consider that a Ruskell move instead they took a great football player with 1st round talent a monster run stuffing DT . Stop with the Ruskell crap please.

And this is the second post you've made trying to make things personal. Nobody's impressed. A guy can have his opinion.

I'm a little kinder on this draft, but the point was well-made that some of these guys are highly limited unless they take serious developmental steps forward, fast. "High floor and low ceiling" seems to describe the theme well. But then again, while you COULD find a run-stuffer or blocking TE for peanuts later on, the Seahawks have been trying to do that for years and not done so well. I get the sense that Reed/Vannett were Jimmy Graham picks - i.e. "enough with gambling with the bargain bin, time to open the wallet."

B+ for me after factoring in the very exciting UDFA crop. A lot of those guys could have been drafted.

A guy can have his opinion yes but your wrong I'm not attacking Kearly personally . I am attacking his opinion that the draft was Ruskellian. I actually respect Kearly and his opinions but this one was just to far off the mark . In order for it to be a Ruskell draft you have take undersized Choir boy's that's not what they did.

Hindsight is 20/20. I'm sure you had the opinion back in Tim Ruskell's days that his drafts were "Ruskellian" and he only took "undersized choir boys".

Didn't there use to be a saying among Seahawk fans "In Ruskell we trust"?

Good God! No! There was some joking about it. And he did draft Lofa Tatupu, Brandon Mebane, Max Unger and Leroy Hill, but after a phenomenal pick in getting Lofa, and some "blind squirrel" picks, his no-risk strategy became painfully clear.

Pick only trouble free players with lots of starting time at major schools. Safe picks, guaranteed to keep a team mediocre, but never to get them to the promised land. Just good enough...for the GM to keep his job for awhile.

The guy was a disaster. I have to admit though, I was enamored with the trade for Deion Branch, and he was a good player, just got hurt. But that's where I really learned my lesson about reaching for that brass ring.

I don't think anyone was ever in love with TR, sure there was some early infatuation brought on by the success of the Seahawks in 2004/05, but that was more Holmgren's doing than Rusky's.

Once the honeymoon was over, people started waking up and realizing the truth. I don't hate Ruskell though, after all, he helped net us Earl Thomas.

And to Kearly's point, I don't see any resembelance to a Ruskell draft here. I think JS went out on a limb to draft Ifedi, because he did so based on the enthusiastic statement of a college coach that he trusted. "If you don't draft Ifedi, you don't know what you're doing!"

Otherwise, I think he would have taken JReed with that first round pick. Then what a shocker! There's Reed still available in the 2nd round! Top 10 or 15 talent! Sell the farm and the kids for draft capital honey!

Vannet, imaho, was a steal where we got him. A good blocking TE, something we desperately needed. Again, imaho, I think almost every pick we made, they should have been drafted earlier.

Try this exercise, go back, look at the picks we had, and then do a mock draft, pretending you are Timmy. (Dang, just thought of this, Kearly might be right....Ruskell made a trade to move up in the 2nd round and grab an elite defensive talent. Only difference, JReed was seen as an early 1st round pick, and everyone thought we took Tatupu too high.)

ivotuk

Reaction score
...That gaffe, giving Hutchinson a transition tag instead of the more restrictive franchise tag for 2006, accelerated the team's decline that cost the 20-year scout his first GM job.

"I talked to my wife the other day and said, 'Let's look at that will again,'" Ruskell joked after announcing his forced resignation weeks before his five-year contract ended in Seattle.

"It says 'burial.' But let's go for 'cremation' -- so they won't be able to write 'Here lies the man that lost Hutch' on my tombstone," he said.

That was the biggest of many missteps with which Ruskell is more easily identified now that Seattle is 8-19 in the last two seasons."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=4710175

Latest posts