What is harvins trade value at this point

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I always find it amusing when someone notices a particular player or coach that has a pretty significant track record but that our fans insist things will be different with us.

I won't say that people cannot change, just that they likely won't.

What we got with Harvin is going to be exactly what Minnesota got - a guy with amazing ability that never brings it to the table when it matters, always seems to be hurt, but somehow makes enough amazing recoveries so that he puts together a few games with incredible stats or flashy plays. All of which makes fans get visions of sugarplums (or playoff victories in our case) from all the amazing things that said player or coach will contribute but never does because the same problems that happened elsewhere amazingly continue to repeat even when the jersey color changes. Shocking.

As it is, Harvin is going to destroy our cap which means one or two important players are going to be lost because we got a player that is as useful as a fishnet condom. And next year, in 2 or 3 maybe even 4 meaningless games, Harvin will pile up the stats. Then come the tail end of the year or in the playoffs he will either be hurt or non-existent. Just like always. Because that is his track record until he does something to change it.

Maybe he is just really fast but really too brittle for football. Maybe his pain tolerance is not ridiculously high enough. Who knows or cares. Either way, we shouldn't really be too shocked by this since we were warned. We lost draft picks we could have used and salary that might be the difference in keeping a Tate or Sherman. So far he has been a net negative since he got here.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me the # of games Percy Harvin has missed over his career before his ankle injury last year? Single digits. He is not "injury prone" he had migraine issues early in his career, but rarely if ever missed games because of it. He hasn't had a migraine in close to two years now IIRC. People are just too quick to jump ship because of the past. I tend to treat every new year as exactly what it is. Percy isn't Deon Branch, he's Percy Harvin, just because Deon was a sink hole here, doesn't mean Percy will be. Stop trying to build Mt Everest out of ant hills please.

*edit* I'll answer my own question, 3 games. That's how many Percy missed in his first 3 years in Minnesota before his ankle injury last year. 1 his rookie year, 2 his second year, 0 his 3rd year. I'm still trying to figure out where the "Brittle Percy Harvin" moniker is coming from. *edit*

Throwdown

Reaction score
Navyhawkfan187":38pam4b7 said:
Can someone please tell me the # of games Percy Harvin has missed over his career before his ankle injury last year? Single digits. He is not "injury prone" he had migraine issues early in his career, but rarely if ever missed games because of it. He hasn't had a migraine in close to two years now IIRC. People are just too quick to jump ship because of the past. I tend to treat every new year as exactly what it is. Percy isn't Deon Branch, he's Percy Harvin, just because Deon was a sink hole here, doesn't mean Percy will be. Stop trying to build Mt Everest out of ant hills please.

*edit* I'll answer my own question, 3 games. That's how many Percy missed in his first 3 years in Minnesota before his ankle injury last year. 1 his rookie year, 2 his second year, 0 his 3rd year. I'm still trying to figure out where the "Brittle Percy Harvin" moniker is coming from. *edit*

NO YOUR WRONG!!! ITS OUR GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO SAY THINGS AND MAKE UP FALSE STATEMENTS TO SUPPORT MY WEAK ARGUMENT.

AND I WILL BE REPORTING YOU FOR TELLING US HOW TO FEEL WITH FACTS!

Tical21

Reaction score
Please for the sake of the reputation of the rest of Seattle sports fans, pull your damn heads outta your buttholes, or go find another city.

First, you don't trade contracts in the NFL, you eat them. If you want to trade a player, you pay the remaining prorate of guaranteed money right away and take the cap hit right away for the whole thing. I'm sure I messed up a minor detail, but you get the point. Trade Harvin, take a 30 mil cap hit right away. Genius!

Second, Cordarelle Patterson? Did I just read that? It is Percy freakin' Harvin. Hello!?!?! Dude is one of the best players in the entire NFL. Percy Harvin is going to take us to another level. If you don't want to come with us, fine, we don't need you.

I try darn hard to be as politically correct as possible around here, but y'all need to ban yourselves.

Zorn76

Reaction score
You wouldn't get much for Harvin in a trade right now, because the rest of the league is waiting for Percy to prove himself again, just like we are. Our FO likely already considered future contracts (amounts) for other players as well (RW, Sherman, etc.,) before we made the Harvin deal to begin with.

RiverDog

Reaction score
gocougs789":23avv37n said:
E.C. Laloosh":23avv37n said:
MidwestHawker":23avv37n said:
Not sure. Have to see more from Harvin in our system before making that determination.

Though I'm guessing that keeping all four is at least possible, as I doubt they made the move for Harvin while being totally blind to the other looming contracts they would have to re-up.

I think it's pretty obvious how PC feels about Harvin. He gave up a lot to get him and he's trying to show a lot of patience because he wants to see him healthy.

Given an ultimatum, I have a feeling you might see Sherman packing his bags. ETIII and RW are irreplaceable imo. They just do so much more for their respective squads. Lockdown corner Sherm may be, but he doesn't put an umbrella on that defense like Earl does.

Harvin is just SO physically talented I don't see PC letting him go w/out the writing being on the wall that Harvin will never get healthy. People forget that he's still very young (25, right?).

People tend to grow up a bit as they get older ;)

I can't see letting Sherman walk...he is the one piece of our CB crew that's got a future at this point. He gives Earl Thomas more freedom to be awesome.[/quote]

IMO it's the other way around. It's Thomas that makes Sherman what he is. Sherman isn't all that fast and would not be able to play the aggressive man-to-man coverage and get away with it if he didn't have a safety that can cover as much ground as Earl has playing behind him.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Navyhawkfan187":1f9dzatw said:

Percy had the "injury prone" tag on him coming out of college. He was also referred in that manner by a number of people prior to his trade to us. We are not the ones that hung that label on him.

Harvin missed 9 games last season due to injury, and not counting the preseason games or the game tonight, he's lost 10 games this season to a completely separate injury without having set foot on the playing field in the interim. In my book, that alone qualifies him as being injury prone.

CornerHawk

Reaction score
cover-2":cf2lxj9l said:
At this point, with hindsight being 20/20, I wouldn't make that trade. I would have drafted WR Cordarrelle Patterson in 2013 draft and I would have a 3rd round pick this year to get a player like Georgia TE Arthur Lynch or Iowa TE C.J. Fiedorowicz.

Sure. And in hindsight we wouldn't have Wilson or Sherman to even have this conversation.

Harvin isn't going anywhere. If he plays he will be worth the money. If not he won't be worth much in the trade market. Pointless discussion is pointless.

Atradees

Reaction score
We could get three to four first round picks for Wilson.

The draft is often a complete C shoot. I wouldn't trade him for anything.

We are married to Harvin, like it or not. Mega contracts usually have a huge signing bonus and guaranteed money.

I don't know about the secondary. Kam got his.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":1bb7jr8n said:
IMO it's the other way around. It's Thomas that makes Sherman what he is. Sherman isn't all that fast and would not be able to play the aggressive man-to-man coverage and get away with it if he didn't have a safety that can cover as much ground as Earl has playing behind him.

Really? I would agree ET's gonna make a lot of guys look good over the course of his career, but so far this year I see him making most of his plays on the opposite side of the field to Sherm... I'm thinking there might be a reason for that.

To the topic... not commenting on a the ridiculous notion of Harvin's Trade Value.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
RiverDog":15hiuowj said:
Navyhawkfan187":15hiuowj said:

Percy had the "injury prone" tag on him coming out of college. He was also referred in that manner by a number of people prior to his trade to us. We are not the ones that hung that label on him.

Harvin missed 9 games last season due to injury, and not counting the preseason games or the game tonight, he's lost 10 games this season to a completely separate injury without having set foot on the playing field in the interim. In my book, that alone qualifies him as being injury prone.

Ok, so after missing minimal time over 3 years in the NFL, getting a dreaded high ankle sprain late in the year and then having a weird torn hip labrum is injury prone now. I guess Tom Brady is injury prone because he blew his knee up a couple years ago?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Regardless of the reason why, Harvin has contributed little this year.

Based on the past few years, the chances are that he contributes little in the years to follow.

Based on the fact that we have existing players that we will need to resign, but will have to contend with the massive amount of salary cap space that Harvin's signing wastes/squanders - we will probably lose someone important. Harvin isn't important. He hasn't contributed but a single decent catch, and a few decoys that got some of our other players some good catches. Baldwin and Tate have done more, and literally won us games. Browner has contributed more, and won at least 3 games for us. Harvin just gave wishful fans wet dreams, but never delivered.

You cannot trade him and I doubt if you could that anyone would want him at the ridiculous price we paid.

We are stuck with him. We went all in on what we knew to be an important year and this time it blew up in our face.

I shouldn't hate the guy. He was just trying to get signed and for the most amount. It was a monumental error by the FO to sign him but given all the other successes of the FO we just have to take it as a possible loss along with all the great successes they had for us. I think the days of expecting anything out of Harvin are over.

Maybe he is trying and it isn't his fault, but for whatever reason it looks like the book is written on him. This looks like Branch all over again. But at a higher cost, with potentially worse results.

IF Harvin makes some amazing return in the playoffs and helps us win a game or two, it might still have been worth it. But sometimes you are what the picture on the box says you are, and the picture on the box says he is an amazing player that cannot be counted on. I don't hate him, just don't trust the results.

Now if we lose Tate, Baldwin or Sherman because of him, then yeah, I will hate him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Trade value? LOL. Little premature for this discussion.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Navyhawkfan187":gijqa1m5 said:
RiverDog":gijqa1m5 said:
Navyhawkfan187":gijqa1m5 said:

Ok, so after missing minimal time over 3 years in the NFL, getting a dreaded high ankle sprain late in the year and then having a weird torn hip labrum is injury prone now. I guess Tom Brady is injury prone because he blew his knee up a couple years ago?

It's been more than a couple of years ago since Brady blew out his knee, and he's had a career that is almost three times as long as Harvin's. The comparison between him and Harvin is apples and oranges. You need to find a better example.

Besides, whether a player is "injury prone" or not is an opinion. My definition is obviously different than yours. We're arguing over semantics.