"What made us great, is also what tore us apart"

Hyak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":6rrzdsy3 said:
What made us great, and still does is Pete allowing all his players to be themselves and have their personalities shine.

What tears us apart is when players turn that personality and attitude inward towards the organization.

BIG DIFFERENCE. Pete's never wavered on that, you can be yourself, you can have controversial opinions, you can act outwards..........but if you turn that inward on the team then you're gone, i.e. Percy, and now Sherman.

So it's not like this is a new thing with Pete and John, buy in................. or you're gone.

And that's true at any stop in the NFL. The irony is that Pete is probably 1000 times more lenient with guys in terms of freedom of expression than any other HC in the league.

I also personally think Marshawn crossed that line in 2015, which is a reason why they were not terribly sad to see him retire.

nategreat

Reaction score
This thread title is misleading, nobody said that! Could the quotations please be removed? Here I was thinking that Sherman said that or something.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JTB":1p3jgn0z said:
I also personally think Marshawn crossed that line in 2015, which is a reason why they were not terribly sad to see him retire.

Exactly, and why we're not being difficult in helping him go to Oakland if he un-retires. Pete and John miss what Marshawn brought to the team as far as identity and toughness, but they sure don't miss his "personality."

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vzshmi5 said:
JTB":1vzshmi5 said:

Exactly, and why we're not being difficult in helping him go to Oakland if he un-retires. Pete and John miss what Marshawn brought to the team as far as identity and toughness, but they sure don't miss his "personality."

They have no leverage. If they could carry his cap number, they could be more difficult. All he has to do is file for reinstatement, and force them to release him. They have to play the game to get any compensation.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":qu5v5h9k said:
Sgt. Largent":qu5v5h9k said:
JTB":qu5v5h9k said:

They have no leverage. If they could carry his cap number, they could be more difficult. All he has to do is file for reinstatement, and force them to release him. They have to play the game to get any compensation.

True, but if it was Russell Wilson or Michael Bennett unretiring, I betcha they might put up a bigger fight than they are with Marshawn. Can't tell me his difficult to control personality isn't factored into this equation.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I'm not one to throw out the bandwagon card but it seems like many of us have forgotten Seahawks history before 2012.

Until thier is absolute total dysfunction... between FO and head coach. Aging veterans that have little care to win and just mailing it in. A coaching staff that is also mailing it in bc your GM hired the coach to be on your staff to replace your current HC after the season. And you have little functional depth to deal with injuries as a result of drafting, coaching, and churning competition... this team is far from torn.

That was 2008.

Who cares if Lynch wants to play with Oakland, how is this a big deal, 99% of us knew Lynch has an affinity to the Oakland community. I'm pretty certain he retired for good but he saw how great the Raiders became in 2016, he saw the writing on the wall for the Raiders leaving Oakland, and I'm sure several people in and out of his circle probably pushed the process of the idea of playing for his hometown team, jokingly or not, where it started to snowball into actualality, igniting a burning desire to play for his community and get them a championship.

The Sherman thing is wholly overblown and every site is pushing out thier own interpretations for click bait. It's easy to site a source without naming them to throw out bullshit... this is a huge dead period and this story is on fire because it's pretty much the only interesting football news other than Romo retiring. Everyone is just eating it up, it's funny. I'm going to trust what Sherman, JSPC have been putting out there. They are the parties involved, they are all are saying similar things repeatedly... While everyone else is citing anonymous sources and trying to throw more fuel on the fire.

Not saying any of this is false but if you also believe everything everything is saying without any actual concrete proof, that's on you.

JGreen79

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":9aqbb0xm said:
I'm not one to throw out the bandwagon card but it seems like many of us have forgotten Seahawks history before 2012.

To put a little perspective on the pre 2012 era... Pete and the gang have coached this team to 50% of the franchise's 10 win seasons.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I would be happy for Lynch if he got to play for Oakland. We don't own him. We didn't draft him. He's not a hometown guy. Lynch didn't owe us anything before the Lombardi, he certainly doesn't owe us anything after.Why not let him go play for his favorite team?

Besides, if he hits 10k career yards, he's a lock for the HoF, and he'd go in as, you guessed it, a Seahawk.

You love Lynch and the Seahawks so much? Let him go play so we can get another 'Hawk in the Hall.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
gowazzu02":p3lw8pd8 said:
When they eventually make the 30 for 30 on the PC seahawks

I was another person who was confused by the made up quote in quotation marks.

In any case, I think an eventual 30 for 30 on this era of the Seahawks could be kinda fun.

NFL ones I think will get made first, or should get made at some point:

1) Jerry's Boys (inevitable 30 for 30 on Jerry Jones after he kicks the can).

2) Fool Me Twice (inevitable 30 for 30 about the Raiders leaving Oakland two times).

3) The Longest Winter: Daniel Snyder's Reign of Error (inevitable 30 for 30 on the total mess that was the Skins under Snyder, if he ever sells the team).

4) NFL and domestic violence tail chasing, cover-ups, etc. (Not gonna do domestic violence puns, sorry guys. ;) )

5) Quest for Six: The downfall of the 49ers (what would be a very good 30 for 30 on what happened with Harbaugh and the total dumpster fire that came after it).

6) London Calling (what would be a very good 30 for 30 on the NFL's efforts to turn the sport into a global game).

7) Bill & Tom (just putting this one way down here because I don't even want to watch it, even though it's inevitable).

irocdave

Reaction score
What is tearing the hawks apart is what tears apart every successful team. Winning. Players want to get paid, especially the low round draft picks that became dominate players on the cheap. Assistant coaches want to get paid, they take better paying jobs in advanced positions with other teams every year. This is the cycle in the NFL, has been since the salary cap was instituted. Before then, it came down to a good owner and great GM and head coach.

2 years from now the hawks could be basement dwelling with the Browns. If they hit pay dirt in the next 2 drafts, shed high priced veterans ruthlessly like the Patriots do, they could maintain or elevate their success. So far the hawks have had 2 great drafts, and mostly whiffed since. Makes you wonder if Scot McCloughan was the key to those drafts.

All this handwringing by new hawk fans is ironic to watch. Some of us old farts knew this was going to happen, because it always does. It's interesting for me to watch people try and super sleuth and come up for reasons why the hawks are struggling and dealing with what's happening right now. After a down year in 2017, these same people will be calling for PC's head. You just watch.

PC will go from being the smartest, best coach in the NFL to a dipshit. arrogant, self promoting character that is tone deaf to the fans want to win.

If they kill it in the draft, this wont happen, and I hope it doesn't happen, but the odds are not in our favor.

Hawkfan509

Reaction score
Largent80":21ttpspc said:
This team is way better than most teams and contends almost every year.

It's bigger than a single player. If they don't like it then get out.

Same goes for fans that complain about a winning team.

Couldn't have said it any better.
Truth of the matter is. If Marshawn hadn't " Retired" last year the Hawks would have cut him.
Sherman has become a problem. Do you hear all the support from his teammates during all of this? Yeah me neither. That is very telling to me

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Torn apart?

Really?

No kidding?

:snack:

Wonder when the team will win the division again?

Oh wait!

Yep, hyperbole!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
JGreen79":17qzov0u said:
Pandion Haliaetus":17qzov0u said:

To put a little perspective on the pre 2012 era... Pete and the gang have coached this team to 50% of the franchise's 10 win seasons.

However, according to a few the franchise is in disarray they are torn apart and the window has closed.

to them I say,, WHATEVER.

Some here fail to appreciate just how good we all have it as fans of the team.

Hyak

Reaction score
jammerhawk":23nzhk6o said:
JGreen79":23nzhk6o said:
Pandion Haliaetus":23nzhk6o said:

However, according to a few the franchise is in disarray they are torn apart and the window has closed.

34 seasons before Pete

255-277 (.479) record in regular season
7 - 11 (.388) record in post season
15 winning seasons
11 playoff seasons
6 division titles
5 seasons with at least 1 playoff win
1 Conference Championship

7 seasons with Pete

70-41-1 (.625) record in regular season
8 - 4 (.667) record in post season
5 winning seasons
6 playoff seasons
4 divisional titles
6 seasons with at least 1 playoff win
2 Conference Championships
1 SB win

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
^^^^^ This team is in peril under Pete. Torn up, I say :34853_doh:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":16dadana said:
Besides, if he hits 10k career yards, he's a lock for the HoF, and he'd go in as, you guessed it, a Seahawk..

People keep saying and asking this question.

NFL Hall of Famers don't go in as anything. They get up on stage, put on their yellow jacket, a teammate, ex-coach or family member unveils their bust...........then they show a highlight package and then the player gives a speech.

It's not like baseball or basketball, no one declares a team to "go in as."

97.5% of Marshawn's greatest pro highlights are as a Hawk, that's all we care about, cause those are the highlights that'll be playing on his highlight reels on all the stations before and after the induction.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
gowazzu02":j93en98j said:
It's not we don't want him to be happy. We wish he would be happy here.

He was the heartbeat the "face" of our lone superbowl win. He epitomized this hawk era. Now he's moved on.

He's going to go try and win a superbowl for his hometown team before they pack up and go to Vegas. Its admirable.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
jammerhawk":37lya3u9 said:
JGreen79":37lya3u9 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":37lya3u9 said:

Yeah no kidding. Too many newbies in Seattle, new Seahawk fans. I'm guessing none of them lived through the perennial 8-8 years of the 90s and us getting our ass kicked by division rivals.

Thanks to Holmgren and Carroll, we've owned the NFC West since the reorganization of the divisions.