What Makes an Elite NFL Quaterback? - NFL Network

Popeyejones

Reaction score
JGreen79":1xkt9w18 said:
Russ is very skilled at making this work for him though, most of the time. When he develops this skill it'll will be damn near impossible to stop him assuming everything else he already does well continues the path its on.

Yep. Don't even want to imagine if he can consistenlty add this skill with the best of them to his arsenal.

And even if he doesn't, he's still a damn good QB.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Popeyejones":obg7vnj7 said:
scutterhawk":obg7vnj7 said:
Your opinion is not offensive at all....Look...Showing cherry picked examples proves nothing.

Lords of Scythia asked what I meant by "manipulating the pocket." Laloosh and I then "cherry picked" examples that answered Lord's question.

It's like if you asked someone what a crossover dribble was and then got pissed when they only showed you good and bad examples of basketball players trying to cross people over.

Anthony!":obg7vnj7 said:
so again he does it but you want to see more, but cannot show how he does it any less or more than QBs who you think are Elite

Just to be clear, you're annoyed at Laloosh and I because we have not cut up and spliced together every passing down over the last few years for every top QB?

That's what you're asking for. It's ridiculous. If you disagree with our interpretation of an area (IMO maybe the only area) in which Wilson still needs to improve that's fine, I really don't care, but please don't act like I'm trying to boondoggle you because our opinions differ and I offered an example of the type of thing I'm talking about.

As for the rest of your post, you were basically just repeating things I'd already said (nobody does all things well all the time; people can improve at things over time; etc.) while treating them like disagreements.

No I am annoyed because as I said you make no sense, in one sentence he does it then another he does not then another he does not do it enough then another he does not do it like Rodgers. Sounds more to me like excuses you are coming up with to say he is not elite. Once again thanks for agreeing with me no one does it right al the time and everyone has stuff to work on but in your...mind the thing Wilson has to work on makes him not Elite while all the other supposedly Elite Qbs also have stuff to work on but there still elite. Like I said you both are double talking and holding Wilson to a higher standard. That is my problem.

Anthony!

Reaction score
JGreen79":3gvi4rxk said:
I'd have to agree with Popeye and laloosh. Imo Green Bay's line is just as bad if not worse than Seattle's. More often than not Russel makes extra work for his line by making his line move to the defender. As stated pocket manipulation is making the defender have to move through the line.

Russ is very skilled at making this work for him though, most of the time. When he develops this skill it'll will be damn near impossible to stop him assuming everything else he already does well continues the path its on.

Well for one your stats are way wrong, let me help you last year GB oline was ranked 23rd in pass blocking not 32nd like the Hawks so yeah no. As to the rest whatever made up thing you need to come up with so you can say your right when your not go for it.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1ytpt3ui said:
JGreen79":1ytpt3ui said:

Yep. Don't even want to imagine if he can consistenlty add this skill with the best of them to his arsenal.

And even if he doesn't, he's still a damn good QB.

Or if these other supposed Elite QBs could add what Wilson does to theirs they would be well I guess more Elite LOL

sc85sis

Reaction score
It's not a slight to say that Russell still has areas of his game where he can improve. When he stops improving, it means he should retire.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
sc85sis":3fxrk0mk said:
It's not a slight to say that Russell still has areas of his game where he can improve. When he stops improving, it means he should retire.
Exactly sis. But you have acknowledge he is on the correct path.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3tl7nurw said:
Laloosh":3tl7nurw said:
Does this illustrate some of what you might have alluded to?

EiifKDA.gif

OR

Rxbzjq9

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Counter example:

Aaron Rodgers knows that rushers react to the direction in which he opens up, meaning he can check in on an impossible window and create space for himself out the backdoor. Rather than trying to evade the rush he's using jujitsu and making the rushers do what he wants.

It took him a long time to develop it, but he can do it now.

Window2

Hmm. you can also find examples where Rodgers doesn't do it and RW does. gifs on forums do not illustrate the norm. I can post a gif of Curry missing a free throw too.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
You can say Russell can improve in certain areas (which is of course true, he's only just now starting to enter into his prime years) without also making up bs like the Colts line has been as bad as ours. In any metric that's out there that fails to be true.

Your point can be made sans hyperbole and would be far more interesting.

Smellyman

Reaction score
yup, RW can improve on his game as can Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. Do Brady and Rodgers do things better than Wilson? Yup Does RW do things better than them? yup Does RW do things they can never dream of doing? yup.

Oddly enough that he is so short, yet his ceiling may be higher.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pmedic920":crbjt8c9 said:
Question stated in the the title is, what makes an elite QB.

IMHO, the answer is RESULTS.

IMO, doing this or that well, doesn't matter, if the results are elite, the QB is elite.
Correct. 46-18 in the regular season and 7-3 in the playoffs and 1-1 The Bowl. How about you Cam? The best player in the league? Get real. I usually never hate people but that punk is pushing it.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":30ib6cfd said:
pmedic920":30ib6cfd said:

IMO, doing this or that well, doesn't matter, if the results are elite, the QB is elite.
Correct. 46-18 in the regular season and 7-3 in the playoffs and 1-1 The Bowl. How about you Cam? The best player in the league? Get real. I usually never hate people but that punk is pushing it.

Never understood how people can hate someone they don't even know.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawksfan515":25rzaks2 said:
MizzouHawkGal":25rzaks2 said:
pmedic920":25rzaks2 said:

You might if you never got the Golden Ticket. I'm not going to assume you're a man and white.... even though I'm white.. Hate and envy is real and you best start understanding why. In sports I don't care about anything but results and Wilson delivers while Cam doesn't and it pisses me off that people are in awe of this punk. At least Luck is real and a good guy. Not elite as a quarterback but a real guy.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":rx3ev2a0 said:
hawksfan515":rx3ev2a0 said:
MizzouHawkGal":rx3ev2a0 said:
pmedic920":rx3ev2a0 said:

You might if you never got the Golden Ticket. I'm not going to assume you're a man and white.... even though I'm white.. Hate and envy is real and you best start understanding why. In sports I don't care about anything but results and Wilson delivers while Cam doesn't and it pisses me off that people are in awe of this punk. At least Luck is real and a good guy. Not elite as a quarterback but a real guy.

Have you seen Cam's Nickelodeon show? Give it a shot. Cam is incredible with kids. Might shine a new light.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I don't really care about what either of them do with kids off of the field but looking at the two of them over the same span of time, Russ definitely had the better start.

Cam had a really good year in 2015 and I can see why he was voted MVP. I think the schedule was easy but they still beat some tough teams in the process so it was earned imo. That said, not diving for that ball was just... yeah.

I'd caution some to pace themselves with the 2016 predictions though. Week 13 is a long, long way out. A lot can happen between now and then.

Anthony!

Reaction score
sc85sis":89l5zmdy said:

No one is debating he can improve every Qb can improve but for some reason some think that in Wilsosn case that means he is not Elite while other Qbs have things to improve but they are still Elite. Hence the double standard

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Anthony!":3u1lq4sk said:
sc85sis":3u1lq4sk said:

No one is debating he can improve every Qb can improve but for some reason some think that in Wilsosn case that means he is not Elite while other Qbs have things to improve but they are still Elite. Hence the double standard

That's not a double standard.

For example:
Tom Brady is elite. He can still improve.
Aaron Rodgers is elite. He can still improve.
Russel Wilson is good. He can still improve.

For the record I think Russel is one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL. I don't know if that mean's he's "elite" or really that I care a whole lot if others don't.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":3d7m7l9m said:
sc85sis":3d7m7l9m said:

A lot of these guys will never admit that they are mistaken.
As I've stated before, Russell Wilson checks ALL but one "Elite" box---Height --- and to me, he passed by some of those that are considered "Elite", and he did it with a 5'-10 5/8" frame----He's Elite.

canfan

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":3tukswg3 said:
I understand what pocket awareness is, but what the hell is manipulating the pocket?

That \'s something that people like Aaron Donald and Kawann Short do do to a Seahawks offensive line.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Uncle Si":316shwh5 said:
Anthony!":316shwh5 said:
sc85sis":316shwh5 said:

That's not a double standard.

For example:
Tom Brady is elite. He can still improve.
Aaron Rodgers is elite. He can still improve.
Russel Wilson is good. He can still improve.

For the record I think Russel is one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL. I don't know if that mean's he's "elite" or really that I care a whole lot if others don't.

It is if you read back on the whole thread. The people in question admit all the others can improve but they are elite and Wilson is not because he has to improve. And the things they site he needs to improve on they also admit he does.

Anthony!

Reaction score
scutterhawk":32ogfr2k said:
Anthony!":32ogfr2k said:
sc85sis":32ogfr2k said:

A lot of these guys will never admit that they are mistaken.
As I've stated before, Russell Wilson checks ALL but one "Elite" box---Height --- and to me, he passed by some of those that are considered "Elite", and he did it with a 5'-10 5/8" frame----He's Elite.

Agreed