What Makes an Elite NFL Quaterback? - NFL Network

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Anthony!":2zjt6duo said:
Uncle Si":2zjt6duo said:
Anthony!":2zjt6duo said:
sc85sis":2zjt6duo said:
It's not a slight to say that Russell still has areas of his game where he can improve. When he stops improving, it means he should retire.

No one is debating he can improve every Qb can improve but for some reason some think that in Wilsosn case that means he is not Elite while other Qbs have things to improve but they are still Elite. Hence the double standard

That's not a double standard.

For example:
Tom Brady is elite. He can still improve.
Aaron Rodgers is elite. He can still improve.
Russel Wilson is good. He can still improve.

For the record I think Russel is one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL. I don't know if that mean's he's "elite" or really that I care a whole lot if others don't.

It is if you read back on the whole thread. The people in question admit all the others can improve but they are elite and Wilson is not because he has to improve.

This is like (extreme example to follow to rhetorically make the point) concluding that George Farmer is elite because he has to improve.

Somebody can be elite but still improve, just like someone can be on the cusp of being elite but still improve, or be at the end of the bench but still improve.

For the most part I agree with Si, but don't think Brady, Rogers, Rapes, or Brees can or will (or need to) still improve. There's things they all do more well or less well, but they're all fully formed at this point in their careers.

Of the other younger guys in the conversation for being elite, talking about areas for improvement in order to climb ahead of these guys and maybe even reach higher heights makes much more sense, IMO.

As for who those younger guys are, if you're a fan of recency bias that's Cam and Wilson, but in most places he-who-shall-not-be-named is also sniffing around the "may get all the way to the top" conversation.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
You mean Luck of course and it's possible but not likely because he doesn't understand when to go for it, hold, or fold and wait for another day. Most of his heroics are based off a hole he himself and nothing else dug. And now that he's got the big money it may be years until he gets it (like Rothleisburger) or never. Some of that definitely depends on how his team drafts in the next 2-3 years.

I believe he's very good but the hype around him both in college and the NFL is and was totally underserved.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The only thing that can make a QB "elite" is the judgement of sports writers and talking heads. This is why some QBs can become elite simply by entering the league while others can break records and win championships while still remaining average.

RussB

Reaction score
Making clutch plays consistently and winning games. Also being a good team leader and having poise.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3h2cvcpl said:
The only thing that can make a QB "elite" is the judgement of sports writers and talking heads. This is why some QBs can become elite simply by entering the league while others can break records and win championships while still remaining average.
It's all about how tall the QB is. Get with the program man. :sarcasm_off: