What should happen to these high school football players?

jkitsune

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":r7plb9fy said:
Refs are not players and do not expect to be purposely blindsided. This is malicious and should be punishable by public caining.

Agreed. They're also not padded or helmeted, and there are stories of unprotected individuals being seriously, seriously hurt in incidents like this. Fortunately, usually not in high school football.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
jkitsune":ddvhkh76 said:
The boys committed an assault. They should be charged with battery. If the circumstances are appropriate, they could be charged with both assault and battery. I trust this will satisfy Si's legal sensibilities. :thirishdrinkers:

Youd only charge them with assault if the jurisdiction doesn't separate the two (common...but then youd charge them with assault even thoughtl they committed battert) or if they threatened him beforehand. Or if you don't actually know the difference...

And Tech..I'm not suggesting refs are like players. But the act is similarly played out in many instances against the opposition without calls for criminal charges. So...if that's some qb standing there 10 seconds after a thrown and he's charged from behind, do we file criminal charges?

The kids don't deserve to play HS sports again. Do we want legal jurisdiction to start involving itself when these kids act like idiots? I'd hesitate to agree to that.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Uncle Si":ov3wpu3n said:
jkitsune":ov3wpu3n said:
The boys committed an assault. They should be charged with battery. If the circumstances are appropriate, they could be charged with both assault and battery. I trust this will satisfy Si's legal sensibilities. :thirishdrinkers:

Youd only charge them with assault if the jurisdiction doesn't separate the two or if they threatened him beforehand. Or if you don't actually know the difference...

And Tech..I'm not suggesting refs are like players. But the act is similarly played out in many instances against the opposition without calls for criminal charges. So...if that's some qb standing there 10 seconds after a thrown and he's charged from behind, do we file criminal charges?

The kids don't deserve to play HS sports again. Do we want legal jurisdiction to start involving itself when these kids act like idiots? I'd hesitate to agree to that.
Yes we do.

Consequences stop stupid behavior.

They are under 18 so it's not like they will have a criminal record forever. Kick their ass hard so that they have a chance at life. This situation calls for tough love.

CPHawk

Reaction score
They should be given community service. Make them clean up the Oakland Coliseum for about a 6 month period. Raw sewage and all.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2qhr1vv7 said:

No they don't.

We have prisons filled to overflowing with petty criminals, and people still continue to commit petty crimes every day.

Everyone in America knows you'll go to jail for DUI, beating your wife, stealing stuff, whatever. Hasn't stopped a single one of the people in jail for those things.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
HansGruber":34lujcxr said:
Tech Worlds":34lujcxr said:

No they don't.

We have prisons filled to overflowing with petty criminals, and people still continue to commit petty crimes every day.

Everyone in America knows you'll go to jail for DUI, beating your wife, stealing stuff, whatever. Hasn't stopped a single one of the people in jail for those things.
Then maybe the penalties should be stiffer.?

If consequences are severe you will curb behavior.

Steal something? Lose a hand.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1vjulps1 said:
Uncle Si":1vjulps1 said:
jkitsune":1vjulps1 said:

Youd only charge them with assault if the jurisdiction doesn't separate the two or if they threatened him beforehand. Or if you don't actually know the difference...

Yes we do.

They are under 18 so it's not like they will have a criminal record forever. Kick their ass hard so that they have a chance at life. This situation calls for tough love.

I dont disagree. I think losing football and being suspended from school is pretty massive.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1heyb6oe said:
HansGruber":1heyb6oe said:
Tech Worlds":1heyb6oe said:

No they don't.

At what point then are we ruining more people's lives with harsh penalties than we are saving?

I value the life of everyone. People are resources and all have the potential to contribute something positive for others....but the way we treat criminals is taking away that potential.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2methlu6 said:
Tech Worlds":2methlu6 said:
HansGruber":2methlu6 said:
Tech Worlds":2methlu6 said:

No they don't.

At what point then are we ruining more people's lives with harsh penalties than we are saving?

I value the life of everyone. People are resources and all have the potential to contribute something positive for others....but the way we treat criminals is taking away that potential.
I think if you cut off people's hands for stealing then there will a drastic reduction in stealing. You won't be ruining anyone else's lives. You'd be deterring the crime in the first place.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Ok boys, we have our marching orders. Any offense, no matter how minor, is now punishable by death. Let's see how low we can get the crime rate!

fenderbender123

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":qdinfoy6 said:
Ok boys, we have our marching orders. Any offense, no matter how minor, is now punishable by death. Let's see how low we can get the crime rate!

Hell, let's just lock everyone up in prison. That way, nobody can hurt each other. Crime rate reduced to 0%. Utopia.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1pv2lain said:
Tech Worlds":1pv2lain said:
should get charged with assault of some sort. They are juveniles so I don't imagine anything of consequence will happen.

I'd like to see them get beat to within an inch of their lives but that's old school.

It would be battery not assault...

"Texas
Assault charges in Texas can range from a simple threat or argument, a fistfight or brawl, or a violent attack with a dangerous weapon.

Under Texas law, you can be charged with assault resulting from an incident with no physical contact.

Acts of Assault

An act of assault can be one of three things:

Intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causing bodily injury to another person.
Intentionally or knowingly threatening someone with bodily injury.
Intentionally or knowingly causing physical contact in a manner considered offensive or provocative."

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":330pc0vh said:
Assault is the verbal threat of harm. Battery is the physical harm.

What if the hit was against another player? It would be cowardly and absurd...but not battery.

It's a fine line but I just think the emotional outrage in this is a bit over the top. Suspension from football and school seems like a very big punishment

I can see the other side though.

I think that one of the things that makes civilized parts of the world, like most of Europe, US, Canada, etc is that we come down hard on this sort of thing...............so things don't go unchecked for decades eventually leading to refs being assaulted or killed in parking lots like other areas of the world.

So while I agree, some people are overreacting, I'm fine with making an example out of these kids to the fullest extent so that we can try to restore some sanity to high school sports, and sports in general.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DTexHawk":6l2oml2c said:
Uncle Si":6l2oml2c said:
Tech Worlds":6l2oml2c said:
should get charged with assault of some sort. They are juveniles so I don't imagine anything of consequence will happen.

I'd like to see them get beat to within an inch of their lives but that's old school.

It would be battery not assault...

"Texas
Assault charges in Texas can range from a simple threat or argument, a fistfight or brawl, or a violent attack with a dangerous weapon.

Under Texas law, you can be charged with assault resulting from an incident with no physical contact.

Acts of Assault

An act of assault can be one of three things:

Intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causing bodily injury to another person.
Intentionally or knowingly threatening someone with bodily injury.
Intentionally or knowingly causing physical contact in a manner considered offensive or provocative."

As I said in an above post... some states don't separate the two any longer. But... battery is still the physical force of assault.

That said.. what kind of press is this getting in Texas?

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
I heard this morning on the radio............. that the kids are now saying it was retaliation because the ref used racial slurs against them.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":3n192rdt said:
I heard this morning on the radio............. that the kids are now saying it was retaliation because the ref used racial slurs against them.

I had read that the day after the incident went public as well. When the initial player was ejected (the play before the "attack") they players said the ref used a racial slur. Seems a bit too easy, but I guess we will see. I imagine more than just those two heard it, if it was said.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":h1d3udcz said:
As I said in an above post... some states don't separate the two any longer. But... battery is still the physical force of assault.

I put a link in the Smack Shack that had some info.

An asst. coach (who has been put on leave) supposedly said something to the effect; "we need to get back at him for cheating us". This would be a complete different reason than the "racist" claims.

Kids are Hispanic but some are quick to judge saying the ref probably used the n word.

Ref in a statement said he is considering pressing charges for assault as well as slander and libel.

It's really amazing how an incident like this gets reported nationally with a 30-45 second commentary which includes only bits and pieces which causes a jump to conclusions that may or may not be correct. All the pieces need to be reviewed before a true judgement can be made.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DTexHawk":2anwjkad said:
Uncle Si":2anwjkad said:

I put a link in the Smack Shack that had some info.

An asst. coach (who has been put on leave) supposedly said something to the effect; "we need to get back at him for cheating us". This would be a complete different reason than the "racist" claims.

Kids are Hispanic but some are quick to judge saying the ref probably used the n word.

Ref in a statement said he is considering pressing charges for assault as well as slander and libel.

It's really amazing how an incident like this gets reported nationally with a 30-45 second commentary which includes only bits and pieces which causes a jump to conclusions that may or may not be correct. All the pieces need to be reviewed before a true judgement can be made.

Not to be funny... but do you all have the internet in Texas?

It looks as though the story will play out as most assumed when it first occurred. Players lost their heads. The involvement of the coach is another matter, and a sad one.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":200edxll said:

It looks as though the story will play out as most assumed when it first occurred. Players lost their heads. The involvement of the coach is another matter, and a sad one.

The internet is one of the worst about this. Sites want to be quick to post, but provide limited info and leave out much.

Pmedic started the thread in the shack based on listening to ESPN, and they didn't give all the details, then he posts to the internet, makes assumptions, people run with those, and nobody has seen all the facts yet.

Even the school district's statement was lacking because they didn't know all the details.

Regardless, the coach should cut both players, the first one for the cheap shot, and the second player should be cut for being so slow in getting there and then for the cheap shot.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DTexHawk":3uboeaak said:
Uncle Si":3uboeaak said:

The internet is one of the worst about this. Sites want to be quick to post, but provide limited info and leave out much.

Pmedic started the thread in the shack based on listening to ESPN, and they didn't give all the details, then he posts to the internet, makes assumptions, people run with those, and nobody has seen all the facts yet.

Even the school district's statement was lacking because they didn't know all the details.

Regardless, the coach should cut both players, the first one for the cheap shot, and the second player should be cut for being so slow in getting there and then for the cheap shot.

The players are done, I imagine. Suspension from team and school regardless of racial slurs or not. The rest of the story will just be interesting to follow