What the hell is Chip Kelly doing?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2hek8nlq said:
Scottemojo":2hek8nlq said:
There is no room left for Chip in the middle. He is either the smartest man in football, or crazy.

Yep, fully agreed. And as an added bonus it's entertaining as hell to watch regardless of which way it turns out. If I cared about the Eagles I don't know how I'd feel, but as an outsider for pure entertainment value alone it's awesome. I hope he never stops.
He'll stop when he gets fired but will take his act back to college. Shouldn't be long.........
And yeah, entertaining as hell watching from the outside.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Pretty cool to be a Rams fan right now.

Looks like the Rams internal (fan base) debate about how good Bradford really is will be solved - lots of fans thought he was a bust, lots thought he just didn't have the talent around him/coaching.

I will say though that something is getting lost in the shuffle here...multiple teams wanted Bradford; that drove the price up. Here is what I find very interesting though...

If their injury history and contracts were similar, this would STILL be a bit of a head scratcher. But Kelly (and maybe some other coaches too) think Bradford is SO much better than Foles, that he made this trade:

Bradford (older, more injury prone, $13 million dollar contract, unproven) and 5th round pick

FOR

Foles (younger, less injury prone, $1.5 million, better production thus far) and 4th round pick, 2nd round pick next year

When I think about that, I'm wondering what we are getting in Foles, and what we are truly giving up in Bradford.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Ramfan128":a9wy4f6s said:

Looks like the Rams internal (fan base) debate about how good Bradford really is will be solved - lots of fans thought he was a bust, lots thought he just didn't have the talent around him/coaching.

I will say though that something is getting lost in the shuffle here...multiple teams wanted Bradford; that drove the price up. Here is what I find very interesting though...

If their injury history and contracts were similar, this would STILL be a bit of a head scratcher. But Kelly (and maybe some other coaches too) think Bradford is SO much better than Foles, that he made this trade:

Bradford (older, more injury prone, $13 million dollar contract, unproven) and 5th round pick

FOR

Foles (younger, less injury prone, $1.5 million, better production thus far) and 4th round pick, 2nd round pick next year

When I think about that, I'm wondering what we are getting in Foles, and what we are truly giving up in Bradford.

I thought it was a great trade for the Rams. They could not sit tight for another year of Bradford. They had to do something. Foles will be better than any QB you had last year, even if he tanks.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3u3comwk said:

FOR

I think the real question is how hard the Rams were trying to get more/better draft picks instead of Foles.

IMO It's a good trade for the Rams because of the draft picks.

Happy

Reaction score
Stunning display of competence by the Rams front office.

As for Chip Kelly, I wonder if he's got Jack Del Rio disease.

When JDR was HC of the jags he had ongoing issues of personality conflicts with players. Consequently, the team would cut loose solid productive ball players for no logical reason, year after year.

Team still managed to win, but one has to wonder how much better they could have been without the unnecessary roster churn that ultimately cost the coaching staff and the entire front office their jobs.

HawkGA

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3rtdyfci said:
RolandDeschain":3rtdyfci said:
HawkFan72":3rtdyfci said:
To be fair, we saw a lot of the same types of posts when Pete Carroll got here and started shaking things up.
Yeah, except that those people were dumb because Carroll inherited an old talent-less roster that had just gone 5-11 and 4-12 the two prior years in a division that wasn't even very good. The Eagles have done much better in a division with less suckitude.

This is not comparable to the arguments people had against Carroll when he arrived.

Sure, we say that now. But at the time, people were very upset about Pete dumping established starters like Tapp, Josh Wilson, Deon Grant, etc.

Not the same caliber of player, but they were talented players that we had biases in favor of. People were legitimately upset and I remember reading many posts saying "What is Pete Carroll doing!?"

I'm willing to see what Chip Kelly does this year with the team he is building before I start calling him crazy.

As long as Kelly hits on a 3rd round QB two years from now, he'll be good to go.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Chip holding a PC right now.

Some tweets about the PC.

@AlbertBreer: Chip Kelly: "I didn't think I needed control of personnel, that's a decision the owner made."

@AlbertBreer: Chip Kelly says he thinks Marcus Mariota is the best QB on draft, but wants to "dispel" rumors. Says he won't mortgage the future.

John Infanti @John6abc

Chip Kelly says he traded for Alonso because he was worried about having guys at the position who are coming off of injury. What?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ZBerm/status/575710689848881152[/tweet]

Also referenced talking to JS at combine, talked about how bad they graded our 2012 draft and how great it turned out.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
I'm telling you, this PC is golden. :lol:

Chip Kelly on Sam Bradford: "We didn't bring him in here to be a [trading] chip, I'm the only Chip here""

IndyHawk

Reaction score
knownone":12lmqqx7 said:
HawkFan72":12lmqqx7 said:
RolandDeschain":12lmqqx7 said:
HawkFan72":12lmqqx7 said:
To be fair, we saw a lot of the same types of posts when Pete Carroll got here and started shaking things up.
Yeah, except that those people were dumb because Carroll inherited an old talent-less roster that had just gone 5-11 and 4-12 the two prior years in a division that wasn't even very good. The Eagles have done much better in a division with less suckitude.

This is not comparable to the arguments people had against Carroll when he arrived.

Sure, we say that now. But at the time, people were very upset about Pete dumping established starters like Tapp, Josh Wilson, Deon Grant, etc.

Not the same caliber of player, but they were talented players that we had biases in favor of. People were legitimately upset and I remember reading many posts saying "What is Pete Carroll doing!?"

I'm willing to see what Chip Kelly does this year with the team he is building before I start calling him crazy.
As both an Eagles fan and a Seahawks fan whose followed both changes closely, this is way different than Pete Carroll's first year. Chip has essentially gotten rid of 5 pro bowlers in their prime for what amounts to "personal differences". How would you feel if a new coach came to Seattle tomorrow and got rid of Lynch, Thomas, Bennett and Wagner because they weren't "his guys" that's basically the talent equivalent of what Kelly has given away.

I'm at a loss for words... Honestly, we gave up draft picks and Nick Foles for an injury prone, overpaid Sam Bradford, who when healthy isn't much better than Foles. Why? Where is the plan? All of the Oregon fan boys have been telling me "Once Chip get's a mobile QB that offense will be unstoppable" yet I sit here wondering, if it's that easy why hasn't Chip gone out of his way to find a mobile QB? Why go after Bradford and essentially take yourself out of the Mariota sweepstakes?

Seriously, We've gone from having a top 5 RB to no RB. Our receiving core is headed by... Riley Cooper? wait no let's roll with Jordan Mathews 8). We landed the 4th best member of the legion of boom who we've paid more than Earl Thomas, and we landed a second year LB whose coming off a fairly serious knee injury.
This is what I see as well,I can't understand why you would do it like he is..I just don't think Chip understands wtf he is doing.This is why you do not give a HC so much power.I hope the guy gets canned after this year.His offense does not amaze me and I don't care how it does in NCAA .In the NFL with TOP being important for your D his offense is garbage.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
HawkFan72":fnftobsv said:
It was the opposite: The PC/JS machine was getting rid of guys like Bradford and acquiring picks, not giving them up.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Ramfan128":qfqbqne3 said:

FOR

You scored.

ringless

Reaction score
Chip Kelly has me confused as well......

SO now they have Bradford, who's contract expires this year and will betting paid 13 million, so what if he is gone after this year? What if he can't play? ... I almost forgot Mark Sanchez is still on their roster as well....

You trade McCoy to create salary cap and in doing so you take a dead money hit of 3.4 million, then sign Matthews who was supposedly in there this morning to sign the contract at another 4 million, and now you are interested in Murray who would be at least 6 million which puts you at 13.4 million this year for RB's and it was stated they use the most single set RB formations in the league.

The only thing that makes sense is to drive up the price of Murray otherwise you have over 10 million a year invested into a spot you didn't want that much invested into and you don't even have a Lynch.... And there is no way Murray performs as well as he did in Dallas if they signed him which I just don't think they will

volsunghawk

Reaction score
The best argument I've heard is that he's willing to pay for defensive talent (see B-Max), but trusts his system when it comes to offensive output, so he feels he can get away with less marquee players.

CPHawk

Reaction score
ringless":2zipbb2u said:

SO now they have Bradford, who's contract expires this year and will betting paid 13 million, so what if he is gone after this year? What if he can't play? ... I almost forgot Mark Sanchez is still on their roster as well....

You trade McCoy to create salary cap and in doing so you take a dead money hit of 3.4 million, then sign Matthews who was supposedly in there this morning to sign the contract at another 4 million, and now you are interested in Murray who would be at least 6 million which puts you at 13.4 million this year for RB's and it was stated they use the most single set RB formations in the league.

The only thing that makes sense is to drive up the price of Murray otherwise you have over 10 million a year invested into a spot you didn't want that much invested into and you don't even have a Lynch.... And there is no way Murray performs as well as he did in Dallas if they signed him which I just don't think they will

Reports are that Murray is signing with Philly, for around 7mill. He wants to be reunited with him college roommate, Bradford, and play in a spread O again. Mathews hasn't signed yet, and I'd expect him not to want to sign and be a backup.

ringless

Reaction score
CPHawk":3qrz9pnk said:
ringless":3qrz9pnk said:

Reports are that Murray is signing with Philly, for around 7mill. He wants to be reunited with him college roommate, Bradford, and play in a spread O again. Mathews hasn't signed yet, and I'd expect him not to want to sign and be a backup.

Ridiculous of Murray, mainly bc he just ruined everything for me.... But he wants to go play with a guy that has a wooden peg for a leg...

DavidSeven

Reaction score
volsunghawk":4pglzhsc said:
The best argument I've heard is that he's willing to pay for defensive talent (see B-Max), but trusts his system when it comes to offensive output, so he feels he can get away with less marquee players.

If that was true, wouldn't he keep Foles instead of paying $17M for the Bradford/Sanchez two-headed monster? It looks like he's about to pay quite a bit for Murray/Matthews as well after trading away his franchise RB.