What were you thinking?

NCHawkFan

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster. Living here in North Carolina, I had watched Russell play a lot for NC State, then I watched him play for my beloved Badgers (I was born in Wisconsin). I also watched him play for the Asheville Tourists, as that is where I now live. I have been a Hawks fan since there have been Seahawks.

I remember draft day hoping we would pull the trigger on Russell and when we did, I turned to my girlfriend and said this is the day we start our run to a championship! Russell has always showed the ability, composure and the work ethic that it takes to become something really special.

GO HAWKS!! :D

Throwdown

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2pcgzmki said:
Throwdown":2pcgzmki said:
Summayall some god damn liars, I know I'm not the only one that thought something stupid

I was curious to see what I really posted at the time...

4uby2ana.jpg

Well then...

Sac

Reaction score
NCHawkFan":31gb9rze said:
Long time reader, first time poster. Living here in North Carolina, I had watched Russell play a lot for NC State, then I watched him play for my beloved Badgers (I was born in Wisconsin). I also watched him play for the Asheville Tourists, as that is where I now live. I have been a Hawks fan since there have been Seahawks.

I remember draft day hoping we would pull the trigger on Russell and when we did, I turned to my girlfriend and said this is the day we start our run to a championship! Russell has always showed the ability, composure and the work ethic that it takes to become something really special.

Welcome!

Killa Kam

Reaction score
I don't watch a lot of college football, so I didn't know much about him. I was rooting for him or TJack to beat out Flynn, definitely was disappointed in the Flynn signing

mikeak

Reaction score
I have laughed about the fact that all NC State fans and Wisonsin fans knew how good RW is and yet not many of the media pundits could figure it out.

I have known since his first year at NC State that he would be special if given the opportunity.

Now in the back of my mind there was a cautionary tale of Joe Hamilton that I watched play in the ACC for Georgia Tech. He had great accuracy and did really well on ESPN when they had accuracy competitions. He went to Tampa if I remember correctly but never made it as a starter. He was then signed to be assistant coach in college (GA Tech I believe) but the idiot got caught smoking pot and fired. I know the work ethic and many other thing wasn't there like RW but it was the only reason I wasn't 100% convinced RW would make it.

bellingerga

Reaction score
Because I've only ever followed NFL and not college, my honest reaction was "who?"

Then I decided, as per usual, to wait and see before basing an opinion.

By the time the 3rd pre season game rolled around I knew we had a winner.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
NCHawkFan":34twfw1c said:

Welcome to .NET.

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

HansGruber

Reaction score
I was hoping we'd draft Nick Foles.

When we drafted Russell Wilson, I told my girlfriend it was a waste of a draft pick. Then I hemmed and hawed for a few minutes and calmed down eventually, telling her, "Well, every other move Carroll's made has looked stupid and worked out great, so we'll see..."

I'll admit it was nice watching Nick Foles tear it up last season. I still believe he is the most underrated QB from that draft. He is a far better QB than RGIII, and I had him ranked #2 behind Luck going into the draft. Now, I think he is a much better NFL QB than Luck and still vastly underrated. If Foles had played somewhere other than AZ, he would have been a first-round pick. He's going to be special in the NFL.

Wartooth

Reaction score
I live in Big 10 country, so I did get to see Russell play more than a few games with the Badgers.
Was Pumped and Jacked when they drafted him!
I thought...'Finally they might have got it right!'

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Throwdown":b0sf1b91 said:
"Josh Portis is gonna beat this guy out"

No, I'm not joking, I really am this dumb.
At least you're honest. 8)

I was scratching my head until I heard Gruden go gonzo over him, and he knows QB's pretty well, then I thought John and Pete know a lot more than I do, so I was willing to sit back with an open mind. Then I saw him play in the preseason and thought this guy looks real good. The rest is history. :)

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
My dad was at his Rose Bowl (Duck Alum) and near the end of the game he sent me a text saying "who in the hell is Russell Wilson? He is threatening to ruin my entire trip. This guy would look great in blue and green"

I'll be honest, I knew little about the kid, so when they drafted him I was thinking "hey, that's the guy the old man was talking about"

not a minute later he didn't even text, he called and yelled "YEEEEEEEEEES! FRANCHISE" I kind of laughed it off.. heh. That was the only moment I ever doubted Wilson.

BBlades89

Reaction score
I live in WI and am a Badgers fan so I was obviously excited. My brother & I were watching the draft & probably had my neighbors wondering what was going on because we were yelling. Also, I immediately had a bunch of friends (Badger & Packer fans) texting me about how they were going to root for the Hawks because of Russ. However, i definitely didn't think he'd have such an impact so quickly, but I should've known better.

two dog

Reaction score
I watch more college ball than pro football (Seahawks excepted) so I had seen him
play at N.C. State but didn't think he was special until I watched him at Wisconsin.

I can honestly say I was really happy when he was drafted and went into all these
talking points to my wife. Strong arm, big hands, Wisconsin line in taller than the
Seahawk line, captain after only two weeks on Wisconsin team etc.

I thought he might be special when he lined up parallel to the group on the field
at the Senior bowl practices and ran the plays all by himself. Just one more way
to get up on somebody. He wasn't afraid to throw at the combine either.
I'm one of those draft minded geeks so I was well aware of him.

BASF

Reaction score
My reaction along with my Dolphin fan friend laughing it off. I bumped this post after the Super Bowl win, but my friend kept his mouth shut:

RussellWilsonDraftStatus zps7a966665

My reaction was predicated on having watched both of the Michigan State games where Wilson was simply a killer driving his team down for the win, only to lose it on the hail Mary. There were so many ways he could have reacted to that, but he simply looked like he did after our loss to Atlanta, all business.

mort

Reaction score
I don't follow college ball so I figured he might give tjack a run for backup. It wasn't until the three way race in camp that I paid any attention and got excited for him... And us!