What would it take for Wilson to win MVP?

Scorpion05

Reaction score
McGruff":1qoqjzsq said:
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/10/nfl-power-rankings-week-5-seahawks-49ers-browns-panthers-cardinals-redskins-dolphins

The praises keep coming.

I thought Wilson was guaranteed to be ignored!

Praise is usually shoved in your face. If you have to dig up videos then the argument has already failed.

I don’t have to search for articles praising Mahomes, and didn’t have to for Luck or Cam Newton. They’re shoved down our throats, wall to wall coverage. The media found ways to talk about them. The same way they find a way to talk about the Cowboys.

Like I said, if Russell wasn’t playing at a near perfect level, he wouldn’t get as much attention. In a slight drop off in his play would bring out the critics. Mahomes has had two straight less than perfect games and on every talk show they’re still raving about him.

It’s the story of Russ’ career anyway. He’s always had to scrap and claw for respect, since college. Quite frankly he probably prefers it that way

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Rat":ntm76jzv said:
John63":ntm76jzv said:
Rat":ntm76jzv said:
John63":ntm76jzv said:
Not if Wilson does not have any bad games, and that was last year. Last year Mahomes had 9 games with a QB rating under 80, and 4 games with a Compl% under 60. The year before in his only start also Qb rating under 70.

Problem is those were last year and this is yer is a new year.

All he needs to do is keep playing like he is now.

That's laughably unrealistic. Has any QB ever gone the whole season without a "bad game"?

The answer depends on your definition of a bad game. For example Rodgers had at least 1 year were he never had a QB rating below 80.
Well, apparently it's a "bad" game for Mahomes when he throws for over 320 yards and no picks in a road victory but doesn't throw a TD because they called runs by the goal line (3TDs). If that's the standard, Russ is going to have a number of bad games this year. We're one of the heaviest run teams in the league and Carson is a tough runner who will get his. Russ isn't throwing 3-4 TDs every week.

He didn’t have a bad game, but if you’re going by yards you clearly didn’t watch that game. I did, and so did Greg Cosell. And on the HERD, he criticized Mahomes for missing throws and having bad mechanics in those games. He also mentioned that’s the reason some coaches shied away from him in college.

Anyone who truly watches football, and film, can see exactly what Cosell is saying. But some fans don’t care to actually analyze these QBs. Instead they parrot the media.

Hopefully, Wilson can go the entire season throwing less than 5 interceptions, and playing near perfectly. Otherwise the buzz will die, because the Hawks are not a mainstream team and Wilson is not a prototypical Quarterback

McGruff

Reaction score
Scorpion05":14l714kk said:
McGruff":14l714kk said:
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/10/nfl-power-rankings-week-5-seahawks-49ers-browns-panthers-cardinals-redskins-dolphins

The praises keep coming.

I thought Wilson was guaranteed to be ignored!

Praise is usually shoved in your face. If you have to dig up videos then the argument has already failed.

I don’t have to search for articles praising Mahomes, and didn’t have to for Luck or Cam Newton. They’re shoved down our throats, wall to wall coverage. The media found ways to talk about them. The same way they find a way to talk about the Cowboys.

Like I said, if Russell wasn’t playing at a near perfect level, he wouldn’t get as much attention. In a slight drop off in his play would bring out the critics. Mahomes has had two straight less than perfect games and on every talk show they’re still raving about him.

It’s the story of Russ’ career anyway. He’s always had to scrap and claw for respect, since college. Quite frankly he probably prefers it that way

Watch any NFL themed show this week. It's pretty much mandatory to talk about Russ.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2xicovbg said:
ZagHawk":2xicovbg said:
The last time RW was brought up for the MVP conversation, he had a game or two where he played like garbage, or least NOT MVP material. Mahomes finally had a game (despite injury) where he did not look MVP material and I'm sure that's going to continue moving forward for at least another game. RW needs to continue playing like he did in this Rams game in wins AND LOSSES. He needs to be able to pass effectively no matter the pressure, because we as fans will point to a bad day for RW as "look at the O-Line he has no time" but the MVP committee is just going to look at stats and if he wasn't effective by the numbers for that game (despite the defense of other team) they wont' care.

The bias at this point is laughable.

Last year, Mahomes had 8 games with turnovers. And half of those were games with MULTIPLE turnovers. That didn’t affect the MVP race

But here, you’re arguing he “finally” had a game where he did not look MVP!??? This year, we’ve had 5 games so far. Two out of five of those (arguably 3), he has not looked MVP

And apparently, Russell’s never been dinged up? Really? The guy who had an injured MCL but wasn’t limping around so that EVERYONE on television and in the stadium could see his limp. Compared to Mahomes, who was limping to the point you’d think his leg was broken. We’re really doing this.

I can’t believe how difficult it is to get some fair minded thinking amongst NFL fans and media. I’ve seen Russell struggle to get even an ounce of respect over the years. Mahomes throws some picks, struggles in a few games, gets banged up and suddenly all the excuses Russ deserved over the years with a converted tight end as an offensive lineman and zero running game is completely forgotten to give Mahomes a million excuses

Calm down. The OP asked what it would take for RW to win MVP and I stated what I thought it would take, because thats what it will take to convince the minds of those that will vote him to win MVP. You just said it yourself in your own post "I can’t believe how difficult it is to get some fair minded thinking amongst NFL fans and media.". The fact is RW has to fight the fan and media narrative to win MVP that thinks this way. It's not that I think this way, but I do believe he will have to play THAT MUCH better than Mahomes to win MVP in an unfair race. RW does not play in a pass heavy offense and the Seahawks are not a traditionally large market team so this is what it will have to be. So before you get all defensive just remember what the OPs question was..what would it take. The OP didnt ask if it was fair.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2d1l6t9m said:
Scorpion05":2d1l6t9m said:
ZagHawk":2d1l6t9m said:
The last time RW was brought up for the MVP conversation, he had a game or two where he played like garbage, or least NOT MVP material. Mahomes finally had a game (despite injury) where he did not look MVP material and I'm sure that's going to continue moving forward for at least another game. RW needs to continue playing like he did in this Rams game in wins AND LOSSES. He needs to be able to pass effectively no matter the pressure, because we as fans will point to a bad day for RW as "look at the O-Line he has no time" but the MVP committee is just going to look at stats and if he wasn't effective by the numbers for that game (despite the defense of other team) they wont' care.

The bias at this point is laughable.

Last year, Mahomes had 8 games with turnovers. And half of those were games with MULTIPLE turnovers. That didn’t affect the MVP race

But here, you’re arguing he “finally” had a game where he did not look MVP!??? This year, we’ve had 5 games so far. Two out of five of those (arguably 3), he has not looked MVP

And apparently, Russell’s never been dinged up? Really? The guy who had an injured MCL but wasn’t limping around so that EVERYONE on television and in the stadium could see his limp. Compared to Mahomes, who was limping to the point you’d think his leg was broken. We’re really doing this.

I can’t believe how difficult it is to get some fair minded thinking amongst NFL fans and media. I’ve seen Russell struggle to get even an ounce of respect over the years. Mahomes throws some picks, struggles in a few games, gets banged up and suddenly all the excuses Russ deserved over the years with a converted tight end as an offensive lineman and zero running game is completely forgotten to give Mahomes a million excuses

Calm down. The OP asked what it would take for RW to win MVP and I stated what I thought it would take, because thats what it will take to convince the minds of those that will vote him to win MVP. You just said it yourself in your own post "I can’t believe how difficult it is to get some fair minded thinking amongst NFL fans and media.". The fact is RW has to fight the fan and media narrative to win MVP that thinks this way. It's not that I think this way, but I do believe he will have to play THAT MUCH better than Mahomes to win MVP in an unfair race. RW does not play in a pass heavy offense and the Seahawks are not a traditionally large market team so this is what it will have to be. So before you get all defensive just remember what the OPs question was..what would it take. The OP didnt ask if it was fair.

Keep playing the same. Yeah,,, that sounds simple.

Rat

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1avf4lqa said:
Rat":1avf4lqa said:
John63":1avf4lqa said:
Rat":1avf4lqa said:
That's laughably unrealistic. Has any QB ever gone the whole season without a "bad game"?

The answer depends on your definition of a bad game. For example Rodgers had at least 1 year were he never had a QB rating below 80.
Well, apparently it's a "bad" game for Mahomes when he throws for over 320 yards and no picks in a road victory but doesn't throw a TD because they called runs by the goal line (3TDs). If that's the standard, Russ is going to have a number of bad games this year. We're one of the heaviest run teams in the league and Carson is a tough runner who will get his. Russ isn't throwing 3-4 TDs every week.

He didn’t have a bad game, but if you’re going by yards you clearly didn’t watch that game. I did, and so did Greg Cosell. And on the HERD, he criticized Mahomes for missing throws and having bad mechanics in those games. He also mentioned that’s the reason some coaches shied away from him in college.

Anyone who truly watches football, and film, can see exactly what Cosell is saying. But some fans don’t care to actually analyze these QBs. Instead they parrot the media.

Hopefully, Wilson can go the entire season throwing less than 5 interceptions, and playing near perfectly. Otherwise the buzz will die, because the Hawks are not a mainstream team and Wilson is not a prototypical Quarterback

Damn, some of you are so deep in this ridiculous victim complex that you're not even listening to other people's arguments.

I'm not parroting the media, which makes no sense because nobody is praising Mahomes for his last game, aside from one touchdown throw, which was undeniably impressive.

I only watched the first quarter of the Colts game, but I did watch the Lions game, and despite not throwing a TD, Mahomes looked good. He wasn't 2013 Peyton reincarnated, but he led a late charge and notched his team a solid road win. At the very least, if there's a tight MVP race at the end of the season, the voters aren't going to be like "well, damn, Mahomes really screwed the pooch against the Lions".

Regardless, for the millionth time in this thread, I'm not claiming Mahomes has been all-world the past two weeks, but if at the end of the season, those are his "bad" games, he is going to be difficult to beat. You know he will have many weeks where he lights up the stat sheet, and it's not like Russ is throwing 400 yards and 4 TDs every week in our system. Both players will have great weeks, and sub-par weeks.

And for all this perceived "favoritism", people might be too quick to anoint Mahomes the next Favre, but that's what happens when you put up unprecedented statistics as a first year starter. Should he be the MVP frontrunner right now? No, but he's still an amazing QB, who appears to be way ahead of the learning curve. If Russ beats him out, he will have to really earn it, and not because of some media bias against him that doesn't really exist, regardless of how hurt Seahawks fans get when one team out of 32 isn't front and center on every show and conversation.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Shoot, I don't think he's going to get it. But it's nice that he's in the conversation, that means he's ballin' and the Hawks are winning.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
It's a Mahomes world and we are living in it.

Russ may have to accept his fate as Dominique Wilkins to Mahome's Michael Jordan.

Being an exceptional arm talent in a very QB friendly offensive system gives Mahomes the leg up on every QB in the league right now. Just as Brady's winning percentage was padded by having the best coach in league history runnning the X's and O's.

Unfortunately no media person is nuanced enough to separate the system from the player and analyse beyond first gen stats.

John63

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3ch9qro1 said:

Russ may have to accept his fate as Dominique Wilkins to Mahome's Michael Jordan.

Being an exceptional arm talent in a very QB friendly offensive system gives Mahomes the leg up on every QB in the league right now. Just as Brady's winning percentage was padded by having the best coach in league history runnning the X's and O's.

Unfortunately no media person is nuanced enough to separate the system from the player and analyse beyond first gen stats.

Or he could just keep doing what he is doing and see what happens. Given the media is starting to catch on

rcaido

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2rvqwcv9 said:

Wilson as Wilkins & Mahomes as Jordan? yeesh How about Mahomes is 80s Jordan & Wilson as 90s Jordan for comparison sake. Its still way too early, i see Mahomes more as Vince Carter and Wilson as Magic Johnson.

John63

Reaction score
Been thinking about it, The biggest road block for him winning it is not Mahomes. It is PC. Point in case we are down 2 starting oline. For PC that means be even more conservative. PC is the biggest road block by far. We know Wilson can put up the numbers if he is given the chance, but we also know PC at some point will hold back to much.

John63

Reaction score
McGruff":386r0gz1 said:
To which I say, who cares?

If it leads to wins, so be it.

I guess if you are good with 1 and done when we could be doing more don't worry about it. I dont see this as simply MVP or not, I see this as, as long as Wilson is in the hunt that means the offense is not predictable, which means we have a better chance of being more than 1 and done.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
So where is the golden child now? I am not anti Mahomes but I am tired of people putting the new kids up on high pedestals above players who have actually performed at a high level consistently for over a longer period of time than one season.

John63

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":1g2ajw80 said:
So where is the golden child now? I am not anti Mahomes but I am tired of people putting the new kids up on high pedestals above players who have actually performed at a high level consistently for over a longer period of time than one season.

Hey mahomes was 19 for 35 54% 273 3tds and 1 int , -1 rushing and qb rating of 96. You need to remember its mahomes so only yards and td count.

I mean Wilson was 23 for 33 69% 295 yards, 2ids, another running and 31 yards rushing, 0 ints and 118 rating but some on this board will say he is still better.