When will Lock get chance ?

seabowl

Reaction score
That’s like saying Tom Brady should have been replaced after his first game.

RiverDog

Reaction score
We're a long ways away from seriously considering a quarterback change. Sure, Geno didn't have a good game. He did very little if anything to carry the team. But he didn't lose the game for us, either. He wasn't the root cause for our loss.

The bye, which comes early this year in Week 5, is a good place to make a quarterback change as it gives the new guy more time to work with the starting unit. If we're 1-3 going into our bye, then depending on how Geno played, there may be a quarterback controversy. If we're 0-4, it will definitely be something our brain trust will consider.

I started a thread in the NFL forum regarding the first QB to get benched. Geno is ranked 11th, with 18-1 odds of being the first to lose his job due to non-injury factors.

Hopefully, it doesn't come to it as it would mean that our season is essentially lost, but to answer the question in the OP, the earliest we will see Drew Lock would be in our 5th game in Cincinatti vs. the Bengals.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I doubt they're even giving it 1 percent thought. Come on, Geno will be fine. How good he will be is to be seen. We need him to be even better than last year.

WarHawks

Reaction score
At this point Al Bundy is starting to look good. 200

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If Geno has a bad game in Detroit, when will pete make the change ?

No, IMO it'd have a catastrophic 1-7 start, or Geno being hurt for Pete to make that switch.

0-2 isn't enough. Especially with two starting tackles out, that ain't all on Geno. No coach wants to deal with a QB controversy this early in the season.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Aaron Rogers got only 4 plays before his season was over. With both our starting tackles out I'll give Smith 4 weeks before Lock gets a look.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Geno is a plenty good enough QB, top 10 IMHO, he lead the league in completion %. Some people like often ordering a different flavor scoop ice cream, some stay with the old standby. I doubt Lock flashes more than Geno but could be comparable at best or well on his way to being so.
Crazy to think the RW trade could get even more lopsided if Lock performed for us and if we that Denver 3rd rounder on a franchise QB.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
If Geno has a bad game in Detroit, when will pete make the change ?
While my memory isn't flawless, I can't remember a time that Pete Carroll ever benched his quarterback for poor performance in any game, and I'm reaching all the way back to Touch Down Jesus here.

Please correct me if I am wrong - It's something I'd be interested in knowing.

Seahawker

Reaction score
While my memory isn't flawless, I can't remember a time that Pete Carroll ever benched his quarterback for poor performance in any game, and I'm reaching all the way back to Touch Down Jesus here.

Please correct me if I am wrong - It's something I'd be interested in knowing.
Forgot about Charlie Whitehurst, the best clipboard holder since Dan McGwire.

Seahawker

Reaction score
True, but has Pete Carroll ever changed quarterbacks mid-game before because of poor performance?
I don't know the exact answer but Matt Hasselbeck, Matt Flynn and Tarvaris Jackson come to mind. I don't think Pete see's the QB as having to be the best player on the field, but moreso a functioning, dependable component.
Pete's through thick & thin mindset often wears thin. John should pick our next QB as long as he's 6-1+.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don't know the exact answer but Matt Hasselbeck, Matt Flynn and Tarvaris Jackson come to mind. I don't think Pete see's the QB as having to be the best player on the field, but moreso a functioning, dependable component.
Pete's through thick & thin mindset often wears thin. John should pick our next QB as long as he's 6-1+.
John probably would be the one to "pick" the quarterback, whenever the time comes. Pete doesn't rule over John with an iron fist - he defers greatly to him in the personnel department especially as it relates to the draft. Most behind the scenes looks indicate it's John's show. John negotiated the RW trade, for instance. John was the one scouting Allen and trying to make something happen with the Browns for #1 that year.