When will the rest of the NFL pay attention

xCalibur

Reaction score
Last two games since Seattle has finally hit a groove they have flat out embarrassed Kap and showed his flaws as a young NFL QB....i would have thought that other teams woould have relentlessly studied our tape and used what we did to shut him down. Yet he continues to get praise about how polished and great he is.
The talking heads are already calling on Kap to have a great game next week. Seattle has shown you how to shut him down, get on the ball NFL teams so i don't have to hear how great Kap is any longer.

Seafan

Reaction score
Perhaps the other NFL teams would like to have Seattle's defense including the 12th Man.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
One bad game, or one bad matchup does not mean he's a bad QB. If we did not already have Russell Wilson I would be thrilled to have Kaepernick as our QB.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Go watch Indy's team and tell how many of their secondary would start in Seattle. Green Bay tried to do what we did Sunday in the playoffs last year. They got trucked. It isn't as easy as copy this scheme.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Yep, the bluebook to beat the Kraepper is out, but you have to have the talent to pull it off. The only teams to do so besides the Hawks were the Ravens and Rams. We are spoiled to have a defense THIS good, if they stay healthy they may break a few NFL records this year.

Its hard for me to watch other teams when I have a rooting interest (against) because most secondarys in this league you see guys playing 10 yards off their man leaving guys wide open because either they cant cover or they or afraid to get beat deep or both.. (The SF vs GB game in week 1 is exhibit A).

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
xCalibur":2guqn1re said:
Last two games since Seattle has finally hit a groove they have flat out embarrassed Kap and showed his flaws as a young NFL QB....i would have thought that other teams woould have relentlessly studied our tape and used what we did to shut him down. Yet he continues to get praise about how polished and great he is.
The talking heads are already calling on Kap to have a great game next week. Seattle has shown you how to shut him down, get on the ball NFL teams so i don't have to hear how great Kap is any longer.
I don't know that it would do much good given we are one of the few teams that can really play 8 man fronts with a secondary playing elite level press man to man. Also our overall team speed is the other factor most teams just can't match in our unique combination (scheme, mix, etc). Also of the course the 12th Man advantage....

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
To do what we did, you need to have sticky man corners and assignment correct linebackers. The fact that our secondary is so good our backups would start for probably 20 other teams in the NFL tells you all you need to know.

NINEster

Reaction score
If Kaepernick had more Alex Smith tendencies, the game would have gone better.

Checkdowns and tight ends were the way to go in this game, and from what I recall seeing, Kaepernick was attempting to go downfield as 1st and 2nd reads a lot. Wasn't going to be easy against that secondary especially without Crabtree and Manningham available.

A lot of great QBs have struggled at the Link, and very few if any have had success with longer throws (maybe Brady). There's no shame in that.

Kaepernick has not been figured out one bit. If anything the 49ers are tipping plays too easily and/or not calling good enough game plans, or their running game has schematic issues. Gore getting two yards a carry is not going to beat the top teams.

I look at Wilson's performance with question marks because his running game was far superior, no crowd noise and he didn't do anything until the 3rd quarter when turnovers and injuries helped.

Imagine if Lynch had 2 yards a carry instead of the 4 or 5 he did.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":12lp2qy9 said:
Go watch Indy's team and tell how many of their secondary would start in Seattle. Green Bay tried to do what we did Sunday in the playoffs last year. They got trucked. It isn't as easy as copy this scheme.

...and this.

samwize77

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3qgw9ije said:
One bad game, or one bad matchup does not mean he's a bad QB. If we did not already have Russell Wilson I would be thrilled to have Kaepernick as our QB.

Yeah, I think you're right J. With a few exceptions. I'm not a fan of his attitude. Theres to much there that screams immaturity. Maybe playing for Pete instead of Hardouche would help. The talent is definitely there. I think the Ninners might be behind him because of his talent and not because of HIM. RW has both qualities.

samwize77

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1j4ni2ky said:

I could be very wrong here, but theres that leadership thing you just can't teach. Whenever the camera was on Kap on the sidelines he looked dejected and beaten. I have to think a great leader would still be trying to rally the troops, tryin to get the guys motivated to at least try for a comeback. Looked to me like Kap was feeling sorry for himself.

hawker84

Reaction score
Kap is a stud make no mistake about it, but there are very few defenses that can duplicate what we did, maybe Chicago, maybe STL, and AZ, it will be interesting to see how he does against CAR's front 7, if they don't get pressure and stuff the run like they did against us, he'll torch them. Key is, you've got to get pressure on these QB's, disrupt the pocket, our main advantage is we have the secondary to lock down recievers just a little longer than most which gives the pass rushers a little more time to get there.

I just don't think you can look at this matchup and compare it to others, we're an elite D, SF has an elite D IMO, that is why both our QB's struggled.

Kap will be just fine and have several great games... As will RW

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawker84":16i6ce75 said:
Kap is a stud make no mistake about it, but there are very few defenses that can duplicate what we did, maybe Chicago, maybe STL, and AZ, it will be interesting to see how he does against CAR's front 7, if they don't get pressure and stuff the run like they did against us, he'll torch them. Key is, you've got to get pressure on these QB's, disrupt the pocket, our main advantage is we have the secondary to lock down recievers just a little longer than most which gives the pass rushers a little more time to get there.

I just don't think you can look at this matchup and compare it to others, we're an elite D, SF has an elite D IMO, that is why both our QB's struggled.

Kap will be just fine and have several great games... As will RW

Nah...I don't buy that even those teams can do it.

Kap ripped Chicago to shreads last year and the Niners did ALOT of damage on the ground. They had no answer. STL? Maybe...but I'm not as impressed with those corners as others.

AZ worries me a bit because to Patrick Peterson. Crabtree has owned him thusfar in his career, but Crab won't be playing.

It was the perfect storm in Seattle....noise creating problems pre-snap, DL getting a half step jump on the offense because of the noise, SPEED on the end getting into the backfield quickly, LACK of speed at WR to get any separation, EXCELLENT DBs simply mauling anyone in any kind of pass pattern, and the Seahawks not having to pay for dedicating men to stop the run (because of that secondary). Kap really had no chance. He'd drop back, his first read is gone, his second read is gone, and he's already under pressure. He looks downfield and there is still nothing there. The first INT was a bad read on his part. The second 2 picks were him forcing something that wasn't there.

No other team in the NFL can do what Seattle did. I don't think they can do it again in SF either. Thats not to say that Kap will go wild or somehting...just saying to take the sound element out of the game.

Greg Cosell said something interesting this week. He said that the 49ers typically scheme a run game for every team. They didn't do that in Seattle. They seemed to "just play". It was probably because they were attempting to simplify due to lack of communication. That isn't typically who the Niners are.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Marvin, sometimes you are the most daft guy, other times slightly less so. This is the former. Yes, I know that you are in the midst of reclaiming hope for the season, but you are fluffing yourself trying to convince yourself It's just this one team in this one place that you can't beat.

Kaep has things he does well. Things he doesn't. Your coaching staff has done an awesome job of fitting the offense to him and his skills. Any truthful list of what he does best pisses off Niner faithful because so much of Gabriel's offense is one primary read that takes time to develop, and it isn't even meant (by me) as an insult. It just is what it is. Of course Kaep can make second and third reads. But most of Gabriel's offensive reads happen pre snap. When a team runs a lot of 2 or 3 man floods, clearouts, and drags, a patient read of the play as it develops is an asset, not an insult.

However, when Kaep makes 2nd and third reads, his efficiency plummets. The interception to Kam was a 2nd read, his first read was McDonald in the underneath LB zone. Either that or it was a look off. The missed TD to Boldin in the end zone in week 1 was both late and not his primary read, Boldin was alone by 15 yards and Kaep struggles with sideline accuracy, especially when moving.

But nobody in the NFL throws a better dig than Kaepernick. Nobody. 6 yards or 30, static targets between the numbers are mostly perfect passes. Even outside the numbers, he is very accurate on digs.

So why is he so hard to scheme, seemingly for everyone but the Hawks and Rams? Here is what I think:
1. Most secondaries do not communicate well pre snap. Gabriel's route designs require corners and safeties to change assignments at the pick/rub. The famous throw where Davis got smoked last year by Kam? Davis was wide open, and that was because Malcom Smith got rubbed. Good communication between corner and LB would have prevented that route. Good thing Kaep hung him out to dry. Gabriel's offense seems to have routes almost every pass play designed to take advantage of the poor communication in most secondaries.
2. Kaepernick makes very good pre snap reads. He can spot the mismatch. And he has no fear of challenging his offense to make plays.
3. Forgetting what happened last week, the offensive line he plays behind is very good.
4. He can salvage a bad play with legs.
5. He is the fastest of all the RO QBs to make up his mind on the keep or give.

So why is Seattle his worst matchup? We give away the sidelines in our press, and sideline accuracy is not his strength. Our secondary communicates maybe better than any other, as seen by the way they switched assignements on rub routes Sunday. There is extreme speed at the edges, so for every big run Colin breaks, there is one where he gets chased down before he can make a big play.

So far, I can only think of one other team that has the talent to stop your guy, and that is the Rams. There are a few other teams with the firepower to outscore your team, but that is the only other squad with the speed and talent to line up and shut Colin down.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1p8r8lux said:
Marvin, sometimes you are the most daft guy, other times slightly less so. This is the former. Yes, I know that you are in the midst of reclaiming hope for the season, but you are fluffing yourself trying to convince yourself It's just this one team in this one place that you can't beat.

Kaep has things he does well. Things he doesn't. Your coaching staff has done an awesome job of fitting the offense to him and his skills. Any truthful list of what he does best pisses off Niner faithful because so much of Gabriel's offense is one primary read that takes time to develop, and it isn't even meant (by me) as an insult. It just is what it is. Of course Kaep can make second and third reads. But most of Gabriel's offensive reads happen pre snap. When a team runs a lot of 2 or 3 man floods, clearouts, and drags, a patient read of the play as it develops is an asset, not an insult.

However, when Kaep makes 2nd and third reads, his efficiency plummets. The interception to Kam was a 2nd read, his first read was McDonald in the underneath LB zone. Either that or it was a look off. The missed TD to Boldin in the end zone in week 1 was both late and not his primary read, Boldin was alone by 15 yards and Kaep struggles with sideline accuracy, especially when moving.

But nobody in the NFL throws a better dig than Kaepernick. Nobody. 6 yards or 30, static targets between the numbers are mostly perfect passes. Even outside the numbers, he is very accurate on digs.

So why is he so hard to scheme, seemingly for everyone but the Hawks and Rams? Here is what I think:
1. Most secondaries do not communicate well pre snap. Gabriel's route designs require corners and safeties to change assignments at the pick/rub. The famous throw where Davis got smoked last year by Kam? Davis was wide open, and that was because Malcom Smith got rubbed. Good communication between corner and LB would have prevented that route. Good thing Kaep hung him out to dry. Gabriel's offense seems to have routes almost every pass play designed to take advantage of the poor communication in most secondaries.
2. Kaepernick makes very good pre snap reads. He can spot the mismatch. And he has no fear of challenging his offense to make plays.
3. Forgetting what happened last week, the offensive line he plays behind is very good.
4. He can salvage a bad play with legs.
5. He is the fastest of all the RO QBs to make up his mind on the keep or give.

So why is Seattle his worst matchup? We give away the sidelines in our press, and sideline accuracy is not his strength. Our secondary communicates maybe better than any other, as seen by the way they switched assignements on rub routes Sunday. There is extreme speed at the edges, so for every big run Colin breaks, there is one where he gets chased down before he can make a big play.

So far, I can only think of one other team that has the talent to stop your guy, and that is the Rams. There are a few other teams with the firepower to outscore your team, but that is the only other squad with the speed and talent to line up and shut Colin down.

HAHA.

Do me a favor Scottemojo...don't ever change. :)

I'm not "in the midst of reclaiming hope for the season". I never lost any hope. I've seen the 49ers get thrashed during the regular season and then come back and win it all. They lost 40-8 in 1994 AT HOME and still won it all. It takes ALOT more than one game to make me thing this thing is over...especially in week TWO. They got thrashed TWICE last year and still made it to the Bowl. Both the Ravens last year and the Giants the year before gave up 40 burgers and still won it all. Remember....I EXPECTED the 49ers to lose this game. I said that all last week. I didn't expect it to be so thorough a loss, but I am not shocked by the outcome.

Here we are again on the "one read" thing. Now he can do it, he just isn't efficient when doing so. Its always something. Not even gonna argue. Kinda hollow when he had a QB rating in the 20's this week. :D

Most of the rest I agree with...in particular the pre-snap reads...and THAT is part of the problem in Seattle. In the game last year they just couldn't communicate. The 49ers do more presnap than any team in the NFL. They wait to the last possible second to try and force the D to show themselves before last second shifts. This also results in delay of game penalties at times and excessive burned timeouts. We saw ALOT of that last year in EVERY game and in particular in Seattle.

This time out they tried something completely different and totally out of character. They went all hand signals and up tempo to start the game. Novel approach, but still flawed. Gone were the multiple shifts and forcing the D to declare. While in a hurry up mode, the O became rather bland and lined up to "just play". Far less scheming than usual to counter the noise.

To be clear, this is no excuse. The Niners O was beaten soundly all night. I'm just talking about what the 49ers tried to do to counter the noise and how IMO it essentially backfired. Seattle was just coming off the ball like gangbusters. I've NEVER seen Iupati thrown back like that and I don't anticipating it happening too often.

The combination tho of that secondary, that speed off the edge and the noise in that building are completely unique. Nobody else can do that. THAT is my point. Other teams offer different challenges, but nobody in the NFL can do what Seattle did Sunday Night. Enjoy it. It's a compliment.

Finally....Colin is not a finished product. To be honest it made me cringe last week when I heard media people say he's better than Rodgers. Um...no. Rodgers is the best in the NFL and it ain't close. He showed that again this week. Colin is still a very young QB who is learning. He is priviledged to have a great QB coach and a coordinator who knows how the scheme exactly what he's good at. He is not tho a pure pocket passer like Rodgers, Manning, or Brady. He can't sit back there with 5 WRs against a nickel or Dime D and rip you to shreds. THAT is when it all got away from them.

It was for the most part a very, very close game. It wasn't until the end when the 49ers started giving away 1st downs with stupid penalties (extended 2 drives that resulted in TDs) and then when the score got a bit out of hand they were just playing right into Seattles hands by going 4 and 5 wide. He's not there yet. He was pressing and started throwing INTs. Ugly.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Not quoting all that but Marvin, McDonald and Kaepernick have made the statement that they didn't miss any communication on the offensive side of the ball. They simply didn't execute. That's your own players sort of negating your argument about inability to make pre-snap adjustments.

As for the "I don't think they can do it again in SF" statement, they sort of did do it in SF last year (13-6). Only at the time, you had a quarterback and an offense that would take those quick throws underneath or on the sideline that Seattle tends to give up on a regular basis. Didn't help that Seattle had a few dropped passes that would have changed the game dramatically.

Just get rid of the asterisk in your mind. It's not necessary... Seattle is good.

The Radish

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3t5uoz1n said:
Yep, the bluebook to beat the Kraepper is out, but you have to have the talent to pull it off. The only teams to do so besides the Hawks were the Ravens and Rams. We are spoiled to have a defense THIS good, if they stay healthy they may break a few NFL records this year.

Its hard for me to watch other teams when I have a rooting interest (against) because most secondarys in this league you see guys playing 10 yards off their man leaving guys wide open because either they cant cover or they or afraid to get beat deep or both.. (The SF vs GB game in week 1 is exhibit A).

And of course no one is considering he and his coaches will be watching game films and helping him figure it out.

:les:

Seeker

Reaction score
Indy defense is near non existent and no where near LOB.
seahawks did present a perfect game plan for how to deal with CK though, unfortunately its

Step 1: Have Earl Thomas
Step 2: Have Richard Sherman
Step 3: Have Kam Chancellor
Step 4: Brandon Browner

Latest posts