Votes: 4 5.1%
  • 6+

Votes: 8 10.3%

• Total voters

HawkWow

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2l0qdy17 said:
HawkWow":2l0qdy17 said:
It's extremely difficult to pit teams from one era against teams of a different era (imo). While I don't necessarily feel we are the best team in history, I do believe this team is capable of beating any team, from any era, on any given Sunday. When you think of the great Packer, SF, Dallas teams (etc), you think of them at their pinnacle. I don't believe this young Hawk team has reached that ceiling, so again, very hard to do much more than guess....so if I'm just guessing...I guess we are #1.. ; )
I don't think it's that difficult if you watched them. Stats are not as useful, of course. But the eyeball test stands the test of time. It's not about how they'd fare against each other, it's how dominant were they in their era. Seahawks 2013 dominated this past season. 70's Steelers dominated for years. But no single year were they more dominant than this years Hawks team. They were as dominant. 49ers dominated for a span. That 89 team however, was so much better than anything ever seen at that time. The 85 Bears dominated that year, but not the way the 13 Hawks did. They just didn't face the competition that the Hawks faced. 91 Skins were impressive.

It doesn't matter that they played in a different era to know Namath's Jets don't compare. One might infer that for the 60's, the Packers would compare.

Well, it is difficult and I did watch them. In fact, I grew up in Milwaukee ( back when the Pack actually played in Milwaukee) and I've been a football junkie for the past 40 + years. Rule changes and high tech nutrition / training (alone) has changed the game markedly...as has money.

Today's athlete is like a mini-corporation. Guys making a million per game today are apt to train and play harder than the athlete that made $5,000 per game 40 years ago. And no, it's not apples to apples. Today's NFL player probably makes 10x more than yesterday's even after figuring in inflation, etc. Few players from 40 years ago saw the NFL as their business or a lifetime of security. Jake Scott likes to say his NFL pension doesn't pay for his beer.

Don't just read about football or depend on your eye test. It's flawed. Speak to some of the older players and ask them how they think the NFL has changed. I do so frequently, and once passed the bravado laced, nostalgic posturing, never have I heard one say it's not difficult to compare teams from one era to teams from another. Never.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":342q2xwd said:
I voted third. '85 Bears and '89 Forty9ers had more dominant games on offense.
Sounds about right but I'd reverse the order. Though if things go right we will top both this year. I have a feeling our offense is going to shock everyone and be top 5 and compare to those 49er teams. We would have trashed the Bears that team was basically the 2001 Ravens against a joke of an opponent.

HawkHouse

Reaction score
seabowl":3shuf6dr said:
HawkHouse":3shuf6dr said:
I think we're in the Top 5 for sure, hard to say who's #1, #2, etc. cause there's so much conjecture as to what the overwhelming factor is to be #1 ...

We scratched and clawed for some close wins during the regular season, kicked some ass in the playoffs, and then stomped one of the greatest offenses of all time in the SB ...

That's a story line for the ages too ... team / compete / potential / be great / etc.

Epic.

We may have kicked "some" ass in the playoffs but we were one great tip away from possibly losing to the Niners. For this reason and some real close games in the regular season I just can't put us at the top. IMO the 85 Bears all in all were the best because other than the insane Monday nighter against the Fins they pretty much dominated throughout the year.

I know what you're saying Sea, my statement was a bit over the top with regards to actual facts, lol. I was temporarily blinded by our end result, a momentary visual anomaly if you will, lol. Just like Niner fans would describe their win against us at home last year. Last second field goal = we whopped you ass !!! The difference being is that we can check our selves and see it for what it really is. That's a sign of maturity, IMO ... I digress.

Seriously though, I think the story line, our grit, our heart, etc. all adds up to being a great team that deserves to be mentioned among the best.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just unable to think outside the box enough to really pit one era against another. I try but then common sense rears it's ugly head, stopping me in my tracks. You can really only go by...how dominant was said team in their own era? But then the question of competition comes into play. How many great teams did those great teams dismantle? That method works, somewhat, but then how do you apply it to let's say...the '13 Hawks vs. the '66 Packers? That Packer team is arguably the greatest team ever assembled. An all star team full of HOFers. But there is no way on earth that team could compete against today's Faster, bigger, stronger, smarter Hawks. No way. All one would have to do is look at average size of each teams players then add their 40 times to that. The game would be a mismatch of epic proportions and I'd bet money there is not a team in today's NFL that would lose to that awesome Packer team.

I think the problem with the eyeball test, is your eyes only see those teams playing against other teams of their own era. Today's NFL, players in particular, are dramatically different from back then. But as dramatic as the change has been, over 5 decades, the change was rather subtle to the human eye, because all players, from all teams, were progressing at the same rate. It's a fun topic to discuss, but at the end of the day, I see no way anyone can say for certain who the greatest team of all time is. Just too many variables and all too subjective, IMO.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Is this a poll of what is reality are our opinions? because in reality, there are a number of reasons why we shouldn't be at the top, but in my opinion, I thought it was the best super bowl in the history of super bowls and I don't really care that it's completely biased :)

Latest posts