Which RBs make the team?

Erebus

Reaction score
We had a similar thread about WRs, so I was wondering what .NETs thoughts are on the RBs.

I'd like to see Michael take the necessary steps to supplant Turbin as the #2 RB, which probably means improving his pass blocking. I'd also like to see Ware make the team as the #3 RB because I like his physicality. That leaves Turbin on the outside looking in. IMO he offers the least upside of our RB options.

At FB, I'd like to see Small win the job, but I won't be disappointed if Coleman wins. I just want the competition to make the eventual winner a better player.

I don't see the need for 5 RBs/FBs.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Depth chart right now ....

RB

Marshawn Lynch
Christine Michael
Robert Turbin
Spencer Ware

FB

Derrick Coleman
Kiero Small

RussJames

Reaction score
- Other than Turbo's above average pass blocking and decent ability receiving out of the backfield, he doesn't really have much going for him. His running game is lackluster at best. Anytime I see the ball handed to him I know one of three things is about to happen; a 1-2 yard gain, a shoestring tackle, or a big gain called back for holding. It seems like nothing exciting ever happens when Turbo gets that rock.

Also, ever since the phantom fumble against Arizona, I no long trust him returning kicks; meaning he plays absolutely no role on special teams. This is where the other backs might have a chance to leapfrog Turbo onto the 53 man roster.

- At the moment I believe Ware is a better back than Turbin. He doesn't quite have the top speed that Turbin has but he does possesses a shimmy-n-shake and "beastyness" that I've rarely seen Turbo show in his first two seasons. It's probably a bit too early to hype on Spencer because of his small sample size, but from what little I've seen so far, I believe he'll be a better back than Turbin.

Ware also played a pretty big part on special teams before he was moved to IR. And he has the ability to play fullback in a pinch. Turbo doesn't do either of these.

- Kiero and Coleman will battle it out for the starting fullback position. I see Small as more of a traditional fullback while Coleman is more of a RB/FB hybrid. To be honest, I really hope the human bowling ball wins this battle, but it's all up in the air until preseason comes along.

- Beastmode will most likely split reps with CMike. I'm thinkin' CMike will take something like 25%-35% of Marshawn's snaps this season. I can't wait to see this one-two punch. Beast and The Flash. MMMmmmm...

This wasn't supposed to be this long. My bad.

HB: 1. Lynch 2. C-Mike 3. Ware
FB: 1. Small 2. Coleman

At least that's what I hope happens. That would give us 2 pure halfbacks, 2 HB/FB hybrids, 1 traditional FB, and a whole lotta competition!

RussJames

Reaction score
Battles throughout training camp and preseason will basically be...

Lynch vs CMike.... CMike vs Turbo.... Turbo vs Ware.... Ware vs Coleman.... and Coleman vs Small.

Kinda cool how the RB competition will be sort of intertwined this upcoming season.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Christine Michael, Robert Turbin, and Spencer Ware will only get better this year. Lynch is at risk of hitting that dreaded RB decline age, so it makes sense to keep the same 4 RBs on the roster as last season.

Turbin is turning into the underdog around here, but I still like him best as the 3rd down back and think he could make plays if he had to start. He's never been allowed to get enough consistent carries to get in any sort of rhythm and/or the bulk of his carries came in garbage time, running out the clock against a defense knowing what was coming.

I like Small over Coleman at FB. Watching Arkansas tape, Small seems to understand the position extremely well, always making the correct block. He packs a punch, too.

AnchoviesofTerror

Reaction score
I know who i will like to see; lynch, michael, ware. but only if ware and cmike step up. i like turbin and alot and all of his big runs seemed to get negated by penalties but i see him going somewhere else when his contract is up. It will be fun/sad to see who works out once lynch starts wearing down

theascension

Reaction score
Ware is gone, he is an in betweener who's never excelled enough at either position. Small will win starting position and coleman will stay because he's versatile and pretty good on special teams.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch
Robert Turbin
Christine Michael
Spencer Ware

Coleman/Small compete for FB.

Turbin and Michael competing for #2. People think they know the full story on a player after a down year and are often wrong. Baldwin bounced back from a rough sophomore year, and the same could be true for Turbin. Last year, Turbo ran behind a terrible run blocking line -- his YPC dropped by the same amount as Lynch's from the year before and all of his explosive runs were called back on 50/50 holds. We'll see. Not closing the book on him yet. Ran for a 4.4 YPC as a rookie and was thought of as a promising RB prospect just one year ago.

He makes the roster for his blocking, experience and low salary this year. I don't think he's in danger. However, Michael could surpass him on the depth chart. Far from guaranteed, though.

Latest posts