Whiners v Lambs

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
He has played well for the amount of in-game experience he has. There's just no evidence that he's as good, as of yet, as many Niners fans think he is.

Also, we listened to your whole damn fan base call Wilson nothing but lucky for YEARS, being carried by an elite defense - so, you guys also have it coming. :) If I had a dollar for every time I saw a Niner fan post (on their forums, or anywhere else) about how that ****ing lucky little midget just gets all the luckiest breaks in the world, I'd be driving a Pagani.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":mdjl7yti said:
He has played well for the amount of in-game experience he has. There's just no evidence that he's as good, as of yet, as many Niners fans think he is.

Also, we listened to your whole damn fan base call Wilson nothing but lucky for YEARS, being carried by an elite defense - so, you guys also have it coming. :) If I had a dollar for every time I saw a Niner fan post (on their forums, or anywhere else) about how that ****ing lucky little midget just gets all the luckiest breaks in the world, I'd be driving a Pagani.
This!

Barakas

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3f24dad3 said:

Exactly, 1000 times this. JG needs to be great for multiple consecutive years before you can truly expect anyone here to give him props after the YEARS of "luckiest midget" that we've had to put up with from not only your fanbase but frankly any other fanbase in the NFL. What's good for the goose is good for the gander and all of that.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":25hwt4ua said:

LOL.

Fair. :D

I don't think you see that talk from many Niner fans in here, but I get yer point.

For the record, I hate Russell Wilson. I hate him in the most complimentary way a fan of an opposing team ever could. I hate playing him. I hate watching him pull a rabbit out of a hat and clutching victory from the jaws of defeat. I hate it.

Niners have a MONSTER pass rush that will win them several games this year, but with that guy, it may not matter. I hate that.

I hate Russell Wilson, and you can consider that the tallest compliment of all.

:D

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Threedee":14mv11ll said:
5_Golden_Rings":14mv11ll said:
The 49ers defense is definitely for real. As is their running game when healthy. Garoppolo, however, is going through the growing pains of learning how to read a live NFL defense (he’s been in the league but has barely played); all the 49ers need is for him to complete the easy passes and not do stupid crap. If he cuts out the routine dumb throws I will no longer be worried.

All of this is as I called it a couple weeks ago, except it appears the 49ers defense is better than I thought.

I am starting to worry about Gould though. Maybe age is catching up to him. Maybe it’s the snapper and rookie holder. But it’s concerning to me.

I recall a douchier, more irritating, Niners QB who went through the growing pains of reading defenses, and suddenly stopped growing. Jimmy will likely develop more adequately.

Kickers not named Adam Venitieri tend to be shells of their former selves when they leave their former franchises. That's why we cleverly grabbed Myers, who was never really that good to begin with.
The big difference is that Jimmy G has been a pocket passer his entire life. He CAN read defenses. He just needs to be much more than usually functional and occasionally disasters in his reading of defenses. If he were like Kap, fundamentally a quarterback who has never had to sit through progressions and throw with anticipation? I’d be worried, but he’s not.

What I AM worried about, however, is will he learn fast enough to take advantage of all the talent on this team (especially on defense) before players start leaving for free agency, physically regressing, etc.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":upnlugi8 said:
Marvin49":upnlugi8 said:
RolandDeschain":upnlugi8 said:
rlkats":upnlugi8 said:
Very good defensive game. Both good teams. Jimmy looks fine minus a couple bonehead throws. our kicking game is sucking butt. Hopefully this game dont come down to a field goal needed. I have no faith.
A couple bonehead throws can lose a lot of games.

True....but I keep sayin it....the dude is almost like a rookie. He's only got 15 NFL starts.

He's 13-2 in those starts, so yeah, I'll take it.

Under Shanahan, Niners are 11-2 when he starts and 4-20 when he doesn't. Wins aren't always a great indicator, but its really hard to argue with that disparity.
Come on...he sat behind an all-time great for four years. Aaron Rodgers sat behind one for three.

Don't give us this "he's basically a rookie" garbage. That is just a disingenuous excuse for shortcomings.
Aaron Rodgers wasn’t lighting the world on fire his first year as a starter. Jimmy G’s passer rating this year is higher than Rodgers’ first full year starting.

But why is a guaranteed first ballot Hall of Famer the standard Jimmy G must be held to? I don’t think anyone is saying he’s going to be that good. He has some skills that could put him near that level, but so do lots of quarterbacks. But guys like Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson, they have physical gifts no one else has. It is quite unreasonable to expect every quarterback to reach that rare level.

I’ll be happy if he just steadily developes in the mental part of the position, as long as it’s fast enough to take advantage of the talent around him.

EDIT - and he is NOT playing badly. He’s making a few bad plays per game. He’s also making a few good ones. I’ll put it like this: I’ll take Jimmy G right now over Kaepernick in his prime.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3qgxn1fu said:

To be fair, Wilson is a lot better than he was in 2013-2014. Around 2016 or so he made the leap from pretty good to elite. I don’t know exactly how he did it, but he went from a quarterback reacting on instinct to a quarterback seeing the entire field, knowing where every piece on the board is at all times, and finally playing with the big picture in mind instead of the big play.

He has become what Tom Brady was called a few years ago: the ultimate game manager - and it’s NOT a slight. This is what guys like Steve Young, Joe Montana and Troy Aikman were. Even Kurt Warner alluded to it about what Kaepernick had to learn (spoiler alert: he never learned). Wilson still makes great plays, but now he sees and makes the layups too.

He DIDN’T in the past. In the past it was often chaos anf talent. Now it’s talent tempered by a graduate understanding of the position.

xray

Reaction score
I didn't see the game ;but what I've read here seems to point that the Rams suck or SF is very good . Which is it ?

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'm not a Kyle Shanahan fan, but dudes, he is so brilliant at making that run game work and making things so easy on Frankie Tortellini. It's kind of amazing to watch. The Niners talent up front offense and defense is also striking.

Marvin49

Reaction score
nanomoz":g0w3xpve said:
I'm not a Kyle Shanahan fan, but dudes, he is so brilliant at making that run game work and making things so easy on Frankie Tortellini. It's kind of amazing to watch. The Niners talent up front offense and defense is also striking.

Its awesome...but sometimes you kinda gets too cute.

Example: One of his Hallmarks is he'll have like 3 or 4 plays that look exactly the same and are designed to be called i a certain order. IE you call the first one and burn them with one player. The next play looks exactly the same but assumes the defender recognizes the play and jumps what happened before. The play tho is designed to exploit the vacated area by the player who is jumping the route. When it works its awesome.

Sometimes it doesn't tho. Case in point. Niners are inside the 10 and call a WR screen to Deebo Samuel who was lined up on the left side of the formation. He catches the ball and gets down to the one.

Very next play, they flip sides. Deebo now on the right side of the formation. At the snap he back off as if this is another WR screen. The idea here is to get the CB to bite and run up to him to make the tackle behind the LOS. Deebo then runs into the endzone against a CB now out of position.

Well, Deebo didn't sell it that well and the CB never bit. Garoppolo lobs the ball to where Deebo should be and ove rthe CB, but he doesn't check to make sure the DB actually bit.

The result is a lob right to the DB and what looks like a total WTF moment by the QB.

This isn't to say it wasn't Jimmys fault. It was. 100%. The play didn't work and he can't throw that pass. He has to see that the DB never bit. Point being tho, sometimes Shanahan can get too cute with the play-calling.

This is the play (the second one). Poorly executed by Deebo and Jimmy clearly....but why even run that play there? Seems risky to begin with.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/i/status/1183486062578061313[/tweet]

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
xray":81w9b8rt said:
I didn't see the game ;but what I've read here seems to point that the Rams suck or SF is very good . Which is it ?
Goff had 395 yards at 8.8 per attempt against the Seahawkd and 78 at 3.3 ypa against the 49ers. That shouod answer your question, at least wrt the 49ers defense.

Marvin49

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1jrm3tw6 said:
RolandDeschain":1jrm3tw6 said:
Marvin49":1jrm3tw6 said:
RolandDeschain":1jrm3tw6 said:
A couple bonehead throws can lose a lot of games.

True....but I keep sayin it....the dude is almost like a rookie. He's only got 15 NFL starts.

He's 13-2 in those starts, so yeah, I'll take it.

Under Shanahan, Niners are 11-2 when he starts and 4-20 when he doesn't. Wins aren't always a great indicator, but its really hard to argue with that disparity.
Come on...he sat behind an all-time great for four years. Aaron Rodgers sat behind one for three.

Don't give us this "he's basically a rookie" garbage. That is just a disingenuous excuse for shortcomings.
Aaron Rodgers wasn’t lighting the world on fire his first year as a starter. Jimmy G’s passer rating this year is higher than Rodgers’ first full year starting.

But why is a guaranteed first ballot Hall of Famer the standard Jimmy G must be held to? I don’t think anyone is saying he’s going to be that good. He has some skills that could put him near that level, but so do lots of quarterbacks. But guys like Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson, they have physical gifts no one else has. It is quite unreasonable to expect every quarterback to reach that rare level.

I’ll be happy if he just steadily developes in the mental part of the position, as long as it’s fast enough to take advantage of the talent around him.

EDIT - and he is NOT playing badly. He’s making a few bad plays per game. He’s also making a few good ones. I’ll put it like this: I’ll take Jimmy G right now over Kaepernick in his prime.

So I wanted to test the theory on Rodgers first year, Jimmy in his career....

Statlines for Aaron Rodgers in year one post Favre and Jimmy NFL career. Which is which?

Att: 507 Comp: 338 Comp%: 66.7 Yards: 4131 TD: 24 INT: 13 Y/A: 8.1 QBR: 96.7
Att: 536 Comp: 341 Comp%: 63.6 Yards: 4038 TD: 28 INT: 13 Y/A: 7.5 QBR: 93.8

So which is which?

To be clear, I am NOT suggesting that Garoppolo will be Aaron Rodgers. That guy is transcendent and it will haunt my dreams forever that they took Alex Smith ahead of him. My point is only that its early to make a judgement and Jimmy hasn't been nearly as bad as some would claim. The standard shouldn't be "how does he compare to the best QBs ever to play the position".

How about THIS one:

Att: 614 Comp: 407 Comp%: 66.3 Yards: 4591 TD: 21 INT: 16 Y/A: 7.5 QBR: 89.0

That's Matt Ryan in Shanahans 1st year as the OC in Atlanta. In year 2, he was the league MVP. I've been sayin' this all offseason. Garoppolos injury hurt so much last year NOT because they were a contender. They didn't have the edge rushers and couldn't hold a lead.

It hurt them because that was TIME under center that Jimmy needed and is only getting now.

Latest posts