Who are the Hawks going to target in FA?

Anthony!

Reaction score
SirTed":3ctlr34w said:
Attyla the Hawk":3ctlr34w said:
For me it's Calais Campbell.

He's one of those players very similar to Bennett. A player whose performance as a pass rusher is top 5 in the league. But also a player who is a fringe pro bowl talent. He's gotten the nod a couple times but snubbed on many others.

Guys like that really fit into Seattle. Great players who play with a continual edge.

Campbell to me would be similar to when we added Avril and Bennett. Two very good productive players who had to work harder than they should have for their recognition. Campbell, even if we're talking 11m a season is probably a value signing.

I can't imagine how Avril, Clark and Bennett's pressure numbers would be having Campbell in the interior. A straight up 20% increase across the board is not out of the realm of expectation. That'd be the best front 4 in the league -- Even better than the Rams.

They may not do it. They've said they won't do any splash signings. But then if they were going to I'd expect them to say that as well. If I'm directing this thing, I'm going to pursue Campbell hard.

Samezies.

As much as the OL is an issue, interior pass rush is the medicine for every problem, IMO.

Hmm so the interior pass rush players will also keep our Franchise Qb protected. I agree interior pass rush would be nice, but we also need to protect our QB

Anthony!

Reaction score
kf3339":2bs1zzxw said:
Sgt. Largent":2bs1zzxw said:
Attyla the Hawk":2bs1zzxw said:
For me it's Calais Campbell.

He's one of those players very similar to Bennett. A player whose performance as a pass rusher is top 5 in the league. But also a player who is a fringe pro bowl talent. He's gotten the nod a couple times but snubbed on many others.

Guys like that really fit into Seattle. Great players who play with a continual edge.

Campbell to me would be similar to when we added Avril and Bennett. Two very good productive players who had to work harder than they should have for their recognition. Campbell, even if we're talking 11m a season is probably a value signing.

I can't imagine how Avril, Clark and Bennett's pressure numbers would be having Campbell in the interior. A straight up 20% increase across the board is not out of the realm of expectation. That'd be the best front 4 in the league -- Even better than the Rams.

They may not do it. They've said they won't do any splash signings. But then if they were going to I'd expect them to say that as well. If I'm directing this thing, I'm going to pursue Campbell hard.

All true, but I can't see John or Pete wanting that much salary tied up in the D-line.

If we release Avril and sign Campbell and hope Clark picks up the slack for Avril? I can see that. But not over 30M tied up in the D-line with Bennett, Avril and Campbell. Not with how much help we need at DB and O-line.

If they aren't going to take serious putting a decent O-Line in place this season, then I have absolutely no problem with them spending $30M on a crushing D-Line including Campbell and keeping Avril. If you can't have a bruising offense, then at least make sure the other team can't have one as well.

Do you really think that will matter if we lose Wilson for the year? I don't. IF they don't fix the oline and Wilson gets hurt again it could and should cost them their jobs.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Which is easier to fill in FA and which is easier to fill through the draft.

The two environments are not mutually exclusive. From what I read, it is a deep draft for defensive backfield help. I imagine one or two players come to the team from there.

So then it becomes a matter of which is easier to fill in which environment, DL or OL?

Tical21

Reaction score
Campbell is gonna get like 14 per, no? Eeek. I dunno. I want to overpay for a RT something fierce. 8-9 APY. Can't remember the guy's name.

I'll mess with Alshon.

Latavius Murray is an interesting name.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
There is some serious talent coming in the draft on the dline that I don't think the team is going to throw all its money at Campbell. He's proven and it would be a big pick up but there should be a choice of 3-4 guys at our draft spot that could really bolster the dline going forward without a big cash splash. I tend to think that despite the talk they will throw some money at the oline, they're in win now mode and they need a right tackle. I think they're set on Fant as the lt but the rt position was a problem all year so I believe they solidify that.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":233xsque said:
I firmly believe Calais is our #1 target this offseason if Arizona lets him hit FA (which every indication right now is that they will do just that)
Source(s)?

I have heard nothing to indicate our interest in Campbell, and everything I've read from AZ is that they want to keep the team together, including Campbell.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A-Dog":2dp9zg09 said:
Hasselbeck":2dp9zg09 said:
I firmly believe Calais is our #1 target this offseason if Arizona lets him hit FA (which every indication right now is that they will do just that)
Source(s)?

I have heard nothing to indicate our interest in Campbell, and everything I've read from AZ is that they want to keep the team together, including Campbell.

Well the Card's president just said today that they're going to franchise tag Chandler Jones, so they're not going to have a say in the matter of letting Campbell test FA.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cardi ... ler-jones/

kf3339

Reaction score
Anthony!":11p4z7en said:
Do you really think that will matter if we lose Wilson for the year? I don't. IF they don't fix the oline and Wilson gets hurt again it could and should cost them their jobs.

No, I do strongly prefer the money spent to fix the O-line. But they have shown no real interest in paying for talent.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I personally think the 2 lines will be the focus of any free agent activity this year. The line of scrimmage is not typically a place that you can fix with the draft right away. It takes 2-3 years for most lineman (offensive and defensive) to really realize their potential in the NFL. However there are other positions where you can more readily find immediate impact players and starters like DB's and RB's etc.

Pete and John have taken a really smart approach to free agency in the past and I think they follow along the same lines this year. When we got both Avril and Bennett everyone and their grandma knew we were in need of pass rushers that year. The thing is that most assumed we would only be able to afford 1. The market didn't develop as well as people thought and Avril and Bennett slipped past the first wave of signings and ended up coming to Seattle on bargain deals.

I could see taking a similar approach this year. I think we do make 1 or 2 bigger signings to help keep that superb owl window propped wide open. Not 1st wave big name signings, but I could see us bring in one of the tackles who's market doesn't develop like they thought it would and who slips into the 2nd or 3rd wave where they aren't just comparing $$ anymore but also things like opportunity to win. I could also see them doing the same with a DT. I don't think they'll pay a guy like Campbell 12+ million per year unfortunately, even though it would make the Dline pretty ridiculously stacked.

O-Line:
I personally don't see Whitworth going anywhere. With his age and having been with one organization his entire career, I just don't see him moving on now. I think Cinci will offer him just enough to stay and be the stop gap until they find a LT of the future. So that leaves Ricky Wagner and Riley Reiff as the top two free agent tackles that could move on. Both of those guys will be looking for contracts around 6-7m per year, probably something similar to what Schwartz signed for last year (5 years 33M). Reiff is the one I expect to sit for a bit as he's currently trying to market himself as a LT and get LT money. I don't think the market will see him as a LT and I could see him holding out and visiting multiple teams before it finally becomes clear that he'll have to settle. I could see Seattle swooping in and picking up Reiff with a 5M per year deal to try and solidify the RT position and provide somewhat of a safety net in case one of the young tackles fizzles out. If both Reiff and Wagner are met with a strong market then I could see Seattle bowing out of that race and bringing in a guy like Menelik Watson from the Raiders. Watson had actually earned the starting RT role out of camp over the 30M dollar Austin Howard but lost it because of an injury. He then earned the starting job back in December once fully healthy and proving he could stay that way through practices etc. Another guy to keep an eye out on a short term prove it deal is Andre Smith. When motivated Smith is one of the better tackles in the league.

D-Line:
If they aren't able to get one of the top guys on the offensive line then I could see them rolling some of that money over to address the defensive line and going for a bigger name if one is still on the market. They will definitely be going after a DT no matter what in my opinion but if they spend 5+ million on an O-lineman they'll probably be shopping at the bargain bin for DT. If they don't spend much on O-line and are able to get someone they feel confident in then I could see a scenario where they offer someone like Campbell about 9m a year but I don't see that as too likely, I think Campbell will get 12M per year from someone and that's just more than Seattle can afford (not to mention the problems it would cause with Mike B). More likely, I see them keeping an eye on guys like Dontari Poe or Jonathan Hankins to see if they can get them around the 6-7M range. Also keeping an eye out for Dominique Easley and Nick Fairley to see if they can pick one of them up on another prove it deal. A few sleeper value picks I'd love to see them kick the tires on are Tyson Alualu, Stephen Paea, and Cornelius Washington. I think all 3 of those guys could be big time value grabs to play at least a rotational 3-tech interior pass rusher.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Good analysis DJrmb, except for your urging of bringing in Andre Smith. He is pure garbage at this point. He seems like a guy who just wants to collect his cash. If we get to that second wave of players like you stated, how about Byron Bell? He's had issues with his ankle, but was the favorite on a decent Titans line to start in training camp, only to suffer the injury.

I really do like your idea of Watson.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ckctk81 said:
A-Dog":3ckctk81 said:
Hasselbeck":3ckctk81 said:
Source(s)?

Well the Card's president just said today that they're going to franchise tag Chandler Jones, so they're not going to have a say in the matter of letting Campbell test FA.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cardi ... ler-jones/
They've been saying that for months. That does not mean they are gonna let their Campbell walk. With Palmer and Fitz coming back for another year, you would think they'd try to keep the team together for one last run

HawksFan81

Reaction score
Malcolm Smith. I can't imagine he'd cost very much, and would be a decent depth signing at the very least.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Also:

Bruce Arians hopes to re-sign all of Cardinals' free agents

TEMPE, Ariz. -- If it was up to Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians, all of the team's 19 pending unrestricted free agents will be re-signed.

With less than two months until the start of free agency, whether that will happen, however, is yet to be seen.

"Hopefully we get them all back," Arians said. "The dollars will have to add up with the cap. That's [general manager] Steve [Keim's] and [director of football administration] Mike's [Disner] job. And they do a great job with it.

"We've already prioritized our list and we will try to get as many of those guys as possible."

Campbell was drafted by Arizona, has played there his entire career, is a captain and seems like they type of personality that would be inclined to stay loyal to the organization and his teammates rather than jumping ship to a division rival. Even if he did, it would not be cheap. Both Bennett and Clark can play inside on passing downs (I actually think Clark is a better rusher from inside than on the edge), Reed's pass rush should be improved in his second year, and Quinton Jefferson looked promising in the short time he was out there. Campbell would certainly be a high-impact addition but I'm not sure if it makes a ton of sense.

kf3339

Reaction score
A-Dog":2uoy8sli said:
Also:

Bruce Arians hopes to re-sign all of Cardinals' free agents

TEMPE, Ariz. -- If it was up to Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians, all of the team's 19 pending unrestricted free agents will be re-signed.

With less than two months until the start of free agency, whether that will happen, however, is yet to be seen.

"Hopefully we get them all back," Arians said. "The dollars will have to add up with the cap. That's [general manager] Steve [Keim's] and [director of football administration] Mike's [Disner] job. And they do a great job with it.

"We've already prioritized our list and we will try to get as many of those guys as possible."

Campbell was drafted by Arizona, has played there his entire career, is a captain and seems like they type of personality that would be inclined to stay loyal to the organization and his teammates rather than jumping ship to a division rival. Even if he did, it would not be cheap. Both Bennett and Clark can play inside on passing downs (I actually think Clark is a better rusher from inside than on the edge), Reed's pass rush should be improved in his second year, and Quinton Jefferson looked promising in the short time he was out there. Campbell would certainly be a high-impact addition but I'm not sure if it makes a ton of sense.

I agree that Campbell may well stay in Arizona, if they can find the cash. That is however a major issue right now.

If he does stay, there is still a need for a 3 down 3tech player in our system who can push the pocket all three downs. We don't have that on this team at this point in time. I do think Jefferson could be an intriguing player to watch for the future, but he will basically be replaying his rookie season, since he went down so early this last year.

So if Campbell is out, lets look at some of the other FA DT's that fit the mold. That is if we go cheap again on the O-Line and make no real effort to snag a real quality RT in FA. That would be my first major goal if I was JS and PC.

Tical21

Reaction score
Thanks man, Reiff is the guy I wanted but couldn't remember his name.

Guys, Campbell isn't a 3-tech. He plays on the outside. He can slide inside in passing situations, but is more productive at end.

We are certainly a rusher short though. Marsh needs to be replaced. Hopefully Jefferson steps up this year.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
RussB":2u1p976v said:
It better be the line. Its an unavoidable problem. Pete is just too damn stubborn to address it and fix it.......

In the world of vision, we call this phenomenon, a scotoma. It is a blind spot. If the patient is aware of the blind spot, it is referred to as a "positive scotoma".

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A solid Tackle or TWO would be nice before the draft. Too bad Talib would be so expensive, that would be an unreal set of corners with Sherm and Talib.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1qwhmzv8 said:
Good analysis DJrmb, except for your urging of bringing in Andre Smith. He is pure garbage at this point. He seems like a guy who just wants to collect his cash. If we get to that second wave of players like you stated, how about Byron Bell? He's had issues with his ankle, but was the favorite on a decent Titans line to start in training camp, only to suffer the injury.

I really do like your idea of Watson.
Trust me I'm not really high on Andre Smith. That's why all I would give him is a 1 year Vet minimum prove it deal. If all he wants is to collect a paycheck then it would be an easy no risk cut. He also wouldn't be the only guy I brought in either if I'm going that route. Too much risk.

Bell is an interesting guy. They paid him more than they probably needed to in order to bring him back last season even with all the talent they have drafted on the line recently which tells me they saw something in him they couldn't live without at the time. However I think for the remainder of his career, after such a nasty injury, he's going to be a guard. My focus personally would be on finding a tackle (although I think a veteran guard to push Ifedi and Glowinski is definitely a wise move)

My thoughts at this time are only considering who's already out there as a free agent. There is a very real chance that Okung, Clady, and Beachum all get added into this free agent market. Of those 3 Okung and Beachum intrigue me the most. Okung isn't great, which is why we let him walk in the first place but he is a known commodity and someone that already knows the system. He may even be humbled enough after being passed on by Denver to come back home at a discounted rate and provide some stability until someone else emerges. Beachum could be a longer term option I think if the Jags try to get cute with him. He was coming off an ACL which you could tell from some of his struggles but he seemed to start to pull things back together towards the end of the season and before the injury he definitely showed above average ability at tackle in Pittsburgh.

massari

Reaction score
First time they've had some cap room entering FA since the year they signed Bennett and Avril.

Aside from the names that have already been mentioned, OLB Dion Jordan, WR Josh Gordon and OL Luke Joeckel are all guys who will be playing for cheap prove it contracts and seem like great fits here.

Most people think Dion Jordan was misused in Miami and feel he's a better fit at SLB rather than DE. If the Seahawks can sign him to a prove it deal and he stops smoking weed, they might have Irvin's replacement.

If Gordon gets reinstated, trade the 5th round comp pick for his rights, sign him and Joeckel to prove it deals.

These guys along with a Campbell and/or Whitworth type signing sets them up in a great spot entering the draft.

knownone

Reaction score
Tical21":1exvx9z1 said:
Thanks man, Reiff is the guy I wanted but couldn't remember his name.

Guys, Campbell isn't a 3-tech. He plays on the outside. He can slide inside in passing situations, but is more productive at end.

We are certainly a rusher short though. Marsh needs to be replaced. Hopefully Jefferson steps up this year.
That's not exactly true... He's a 3-4 Defensive end who plays 5 technique (think Red Bryant) in Arizona's base defense. He plays 3 technique when Zona lines up in nickel (which is about 50% of the time) which is where the majority of his sacks come from.