Who are your all time favorite basketball players?

SharkHawk

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":2oukgfol said:
Tom Chambers. Has the best high light dunk ever.

I definitely have to agree with this, as do most of his contemporaries who played with and against him. Any dunk is still compared to "The Chambers Dunk" in my family and circle of friends. It was absolutely flat out ridonculous. Plus Tom is a very cool guy. Competitive and cocky as hell, but a nice guy as well. I watched him play at Utah and loved him, even though I hated the Utes. He and Danny Vranes are legends. Vranes never quite was the player we thought he'd be in the NBA, and Chambers was twice the player we thought he'd be. So it all evened out.

Tom played for the San Diego Clippers and was so good that the organization had to hurry and dump him before he demaned to get paid, so they traded him to the Supes for James Donaldson. I was bummed as James was on of my favorites (as listed above). You tend to like the players that are nice to you as a kid. But getting Tom back was so worth it. All of a sudden the Sonics team that Lenny had crapped out on and cut up over his own ego was good again. The trades of DJ (for WESTPHAL!!!) and Gus Williams to the Bullets, Sikma to the Bucks, VJ to the Pistons (WTF? I was there for VJ's first game back in Seattle on the Pistons at the Kingdome and I literally cried when he came onto the court in a Pistons uni... cried like the 8 year old that I was!). Then Chambers came along, X-Man, Dale Ellis, and the Sonics were good again.

So of course Chambers had to go. Blah. That dunk man... it was amazing. I think it was Mitch Richmond that was talking about it on this video I still have (and watch because I can't stand today's NBA product and watch their old VHS tapes instead) and he can't stop laughing about how crazy the dunk was. Lots of guys are still in awe. You show that to kids today and they are like "WHOA. Hold up... REWIND!" I've shown it to my classes every year when we start the unit in PE on basketball just to get them pumped up to go out and play. They get forced to watch old school NBA with short shorts and bad hair. They all love Chambers literally high enough that he would have hit his chest on the rim. Absolutely nasty dunk.

Second best dunk I ever saw was Kemp jumping and pumping under a guy on the Knicks in mid-air, and reverse jamming. He did it all on the fly. Like first he was going to just elevate from about the foul line and take it home. But somebody moves into the key, while in mid-air, he crouches and ducks the guy, and then decides he might as well turn around and send it in backwards since his momentum is spinning him. Filthy.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
It was indeed Richmond. I should have Youtubed it first and embedded that badboy.

[youtube]UDyBSTQDwH8[/youtube]

SharkHawk

Reaction score
#3 was my favorite and the one I talked about above.

[youtube]0gCd1tsOYD8[/youtube]

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I've always thought that Chambers dunk was a bit overrated myself.

I mean, its a good dunk and I couldn't do it even with the aid of a trampoline but I don't think it makes my top 10. I think that Kemp dunk is WAY more impressive than the Chambers dunk, personally.

I'd probably go with De'Andre Jordan from this year as my #1. Then Scottie Pippen dunking on Ewing. Also liked John Starks dunking on Horace Grant and Jordan, and KJ dunking on Olajuwon. There was also a Vince Carter dunk on Alonzo Mourning that was pretty impressive.

[youtube]NTkN2q6sUUk[/youtube]

Throwdown

Reaction score
[youtube]NSA_Di2vliU[/youtube]

This clip is also a prime example of why Reggie Miller needs to be banned off TV, he ruined the god damn play.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
A few from the college game:

[youtube]ku1I62OSgS4[/youtube]

[youtube]s2O_mMQRdr8[/youtube]

[youtube]4pzrvO9x5Sg[/youtube]

[youtube]D83OTH5YR2Y[/youtube]

pehawk

Reaction score
Nate had some damn right FILTHY dunks at UDub.

I cant contribute until I stop giggling over the Robert Pack reference. JSeahawks, bravo sir...bravo!

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Shark you're the man, glad to see you back on the boards!

I think I like the Chambers dunk so much because of how ridiculous he looks flying through the air.

Lot of great dunk vids here, I could watch these all day.

G0o0o0o0o0o Haaaaaands!

pehawk

Reaction score
You dont have to tell me, Jseahawks. I'm with ya. You're like my twin, but the good one who chose a more pious path (totally gay, btw).

For whatever reason naming old role players, from any league, especially from the 80's-90's, makes me giggle like my real twin, Beavis. Reading the name Robert Pack lost me 10 minutes today, easy.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I see how it is.... Pack gets 10 minutes of laughs, and my additions of James Donaldson, Johnnie Johnson, and Thurl Bailey get nothing? I'm throwing in Blue Edwards and Bryon Russell. Russell got pushed, and everybody knows it. I'm still waiting for game 7. The Jazz got this series.

pehawk

Reaction score
SharkHawk":2wdyoxuh said:
I see how it is.... Pack gets 10 minutes of laughs, and my additions of James Donaldson, Johnnie Johnson, and Thurl Bailey get nothing? I'm throwing in Blue Edwards and Bryon Russell. Russell got pushed, and everybody knows it. I'm still waiting for game 7. The Jazz got this series.

Your failures have little or nothing to do with me Shark. I dont even know you anymore...with your SEC QB threads and NOT mentioning Marc Eaton. You're lost, truly.

XOXO

Terry Cummings