Your all time favorite Seahawks "role players" and why?

ACES 13

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2e8356zw said:
David Hughes - he was the leading rusher for the Seahawks in 1984 when Curt Warner got hurt and was out for the season.
+1 ^ Not the greatest talent but I loved watching him get it done when Warner was down!

Also Fredd Young. Bit of a freelancer on D but a stone killer on ST! Absolutely BLEW UP Dokie Williams on MNF against the Raiders. My favorite ST hit of all time!!!

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Go go Bobby Joe! He had such an impact in the return game. Just pure explosive speed and a joy to watch for a few years. He also made a remarkable comeback at 31 with Tampa Bay, after being out of football for 6 years. Interesting read:
https://www.si.com/vault/1995/10/16/207 ... a-lifetime

Michael Jackson was a very solid linebacker for awhile and later on broadcasted the preseason games.

John L has already been mentioned but I have to throw his name out there again. He was such a great receiver and punishing blocker. We've never had a FB quite like him and teams no longer use the FB this way-if at all.

Norm Johnson was highly consistent for many years. Great kicker.

Honorable mention to Seneca Wallace, particularly when he was occasionally used as a receiver. I always thought it was a shame they didn’t expand his role as an all-purpose back.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think some people need to understand Role Player and Starter.....

hawkfan68

Reaction score
chris98251":1hckdaed said:
I think some people need to understand Role Player and Starter.....

It's not as "cut and dry" as you make it. Many starters can be a "role" players. For example, the FB in the Seahawk offense could be both a starter and a role player. Tukuafu started many games but he was definitely "role" player.

NoChops

Reaction score
Rat":3fk4runa said:
Alex Bannister: Was an unbelievable ST gunner until injuries shortened his career

He was a customer of mine back in a different life. Nice guy. Funny thing was he had something like "unbreakable" or something of that nature tattooed on his arm? I think it was....

I'm going Joe Nash for being "the designated injured player" against Mr. Ed back in the day.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Chris Matthews.

He recovered the onside kick against the Packers in the NFCCG, then puts up 100+ receiving yards and a TD in Superbowl XLIX. Coming from working at a Foot Locker to being potential Superbowl MVP is incredible imo.

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
sdog1981":1u52sq3a said:
Darryl Williams: That dude blew up Ricky Dudley of the raiders in 1997 and the picture was on the side of the cities buses for like 5 years it seemed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcZZlMKL5xw

I just watched that hit about 10 times. Thanks for posting sdog.

I remember in the 80's, there was a VHS video call "crunch course" or "crash course" or something. Anyway, there is a clip of a Seahawks special teams player that almost decapitates the ball carrier. I want to find out who that was so I can put him on this list.

tl400

Reaction score
Three already mentioned: Local-boy-makes-good, 7th-rounder Dr.Dan Doornink, Paul Moyer and Efren Herrera. All early years, but what would those years be without such as them?

3rd down needing a 1st? Get the ball to Doornink any way you can even though opponents knew it was coming. Might be faulty memory, but, IIRC, it was reported after a game that DB Moyer played a 2nd-half after a 1st-half ruptured testicle. (Somebody might corect or confirm that it was Moyer.) Hard to condone playing with injury, but gotta admire the attitude. Always thought he learned the attitude while playing with Easley. And Herrera... he was near the top when looking to enjoy 'Hawks games at the time (one game including a total minus-7 yards of offense). With Herrera kicking, who'd bet even odds on what would happen next?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I always liked KMarts time with us. He was only with Seattle for a couple years . but he was steady as a receiver and punt returner.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Joe Jurevicius - He was money his only season here. His rapport with Hass was truly great. He had one of the best catch and runs I've ever seen in SB XL that has long been forgotten. I've never been able to find a replay it, which is sad.

David "The Heater" Hawthorne - I know he was a starter, but man, he was awesome. He brought grit and stability and took Lofa's job away with blue collar ethic. An undrafted kid from a smallish school (TCU) who proved himself.

Pete Hunter - Filling in as a starter for the 2006 playoff squad after not playing a single down in the regular season and being signed off his couch. He was the hero of that postseason, IMO. Although I guess you could say that about Babs as well. Him coming up with the clutch interception against the Bears in the divisional round could've been the ultimate Cinderella story, had the offense been able to protect the ball on the very next play. I was pretty bummed when he didn't make the final 53 the next year. Still, I think he deserves to be in Seahawk lore.