Bates or Lockette

• Bates

Votes: 32 22.9%
  • Lockette

Votes: 108 77.1%

• Total voters

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Ricardo is better on special teams, Bates seems to be a better receiver.

kidhawk

Reaction score
If those are the options, then you keep Lockette and hope to get Bates onto the Practice squad as the number 9 or 10 guy to use the new eligibility rules

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Bates has yet to prove in any game action that he's better than Lockette in the receiving facet. This is an easy decision, it's Lockette, esp. since Bates still has PS eligibility.

jimbojones31

Reaction score
Lockette for me. I so want Bates to finally make good on that potential, but Lockette was in front going into pre-season, and Bates has done nothing to overtake him. He has to put some daylight between the two of them as well because of Lockette's ST awesomeness. He's running out of time to do that.

iigakusei

Reaction score
I think it may end of being neither.
I think Walters makes it ahead of both.

kidhawk

Reaction score
iigakusei":1ysmecpa said:

Walters is definitely getting the chance to prove his worth. If he can win a job returning kicks or punts, that would give him enough leverage to take the final WR spot. It will be interesting to see what happens within the WR group.

chris98251

Reaction score
I'm sure Pete is scratching his head, looking for a big fast strong armed QB, lands a short mobile fast QB that has smarts big hands and a strong arm. Tries to draft or develop big tall fast WR's and the short quick guys keep showing they belong.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I wouldn't count Walters out of this comp.

He was called up ahead of Bates last year and may be the only truly viable PR man on the team. You can get a gunner anywhere. Having a designated PR man would be more valuable to special teams at this point.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Bates has toughness and offensive smarts that Rocket Ricardo lacks. If he latches on to a special teams role then he's in. I doubt Bate makes it to our PS as he will be poached by teams like Jacksonville, Carolina, NE and GB.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Lockette ahead of Bates due to ST prowess.

Bates is looking good though, I don't think he makes it to the PS.

Walters might beat them both. He looked good returning punts last game.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Packers lost Abbrederis who is similar in size but not as tough. I think Bates is better than Chris Harper was when we let him go and look where Harper landed.

Largent80

Reaction score
Right now, as of 2 pre-season games. For me it is Walters. I saw him do those returns and that is a valuable asset.

I want to see him at wr.

Lockette is meh except for a couple ST plays he is fast, but how about blocking and route running?, and Bates hasn't shown enough, hasn't been seen enough. Part of all of that is the choices the coaches are making on who plays, which also is a tip on what they are thinking.

Perfundle

Reaction score
Seattle's special teams functioned perfectly well the first 14 games last year with Lockette taking part in all of 5 snaps total, so it's not like Lockette is a key special teams player like Lane is. In fact, even Farwell, the special teams captain, is in big danger of getting cut, and Maragos, who played the second-most special teams snaps, left for Philadelphia, so actually no one is indispensable solely because of special teams play.

King Dog

Reaction score
I really really want Bates to kill it the last two preseason games to make the choice difficult.

enamel

Reaction score
The bottom of the depth chart has to be about developmental potential. At 28, Lockette has shown all the receiver he's ever going to be. Bates may never be any better than Lockette is at today. But he doesn't have far to go to be just as effective, has a lot more time to prove he can be more.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I think Bates has more upside long term, but Lockette is so effective on ST. Remember how many Punt Returners he knocked out last year? LMJ in the NFC championship?

Tokadub

Reaction score
I vote we keep Lockette even though Bates might be a better receiver.

Lockette seems to do very well whenever we do allow him to play reciever. It's kinda strange how he only gets a few targets in a Super Bowl year and he averages what like 17 yards per catch if my memory serves me and 5/7 catch rate per target?

It kinda seems like Lockette is just doomed to be a role player even if he has the speed and size and seemingly even the hands to be a top 3 receiver on any NFL team.

For whatever reason we use Lockette very sparingly as if he's some kind of cancerous plague that if we allow him to play he could kill us all... I don't get it personally...

But I would rather keep Lockette than Bates just because I can see his "gunner" skills on Special Teams coming up with a huge play. Like if we are in the Super Bowl and Lockette knocks some guy's head off and we recover the ball on their 3 yard line? Yeah... that seems like a realistic scenario with Lockette on special teams, and that alone is enough for me to give him the nod over Bates.

The only way I see Bates making the team is if Norwood can't play week 1 and Bates will play until Norwood returns. Once Norwood returns Bates will either be replaced by Norwood or Bates will earn a spot on the team over Kearse.

Tokadub

Reaction score
iigakusei":1oct6fzh said:

I seriously do not understand this fan love for Walters. So many people seem to view him as superior to Lockette or Bates or even Norwood.

Can anyone like list at least 1 SINGLE FRICKEN PLAY that I should watch to see how good Walters is? Honestly I think Walters looks like a high school talent, I don't see anything special whatsoever. But I'm willing to learn if there is any shred of evidence whatsoever that would suggest he's good? I just haven't seen it someone PLEASE HELP ME with Walters... he's below mediocre from what I've seen.