Who was right about Wilson pre-draft?

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm curious if any draft guys or NFL talking heads were saying Wilson was going to be a steal for the Hawks post draft or anyone who banged the table for him pre draft. I know Brock was pretty high on him but thats about it. Anyone else?

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
To be fair, Gruden pretty much talks highly of a lot of guys. He knows damage control when talking about prospects, unlike Kiper who will say a kid is terrible, and then be wrong and look like an idiot.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":11fzozir said:
To be fair, Gruden pretty much talks highly of a lot of guys. He knows damage control when talking about prospects, unlike Kiper who will say a kid is terrible, and then be wrong and look like an idiot.

While it's true that Gruden is a very positive guy, the way he talked about Wilson was on a completely different level. You can watch his various QB camps. I don't think there was another prospect that he was so obviously enamored with as Wilson, and I include RG3 there.

jallen6243

Reaction score
Gruden went way above and beyond when talking about Wilson, Defending Wilson....If you were watching Gruden during the draft you would know you have never seen Gruden that passionate about a prospect..

RiverDog

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":379y7818 said:
John Schneider

Greg's being modest. He really liked Russell coming out of college and was ecstatic the moment we selected him with our #3 overall.

I, too, liked Russell coming out of college and my position at the time was that I didn't mind taking a shot on him but I thought that we overspent for him, that he could have been had for a #5 lower. Boy, was I wrong! It didn't take me long before I warmed up to the pick, though, like right after the first time I saw him being interviewed.

The Radish

Reaction score
Neon Dion was on his wagon right from the start.

"First name Russell, last name Wilson" was his chat even during draft time.

:les:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I believe Doug Baldwin also tweeted that he really liked Wilson before the draft.

Edit: a lot of people liked Wilson actually. I recall there being favorable/glowing scouting reports out there. Obviously, anyone who followed Wisconsin or NC State closely was a big believer. I think it really came down where you wanted to take him and where you expected other teams to take him. Lucky for us, I think at least a few teams over-thought this one and were immediately pissed when Seattle called his name.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":27lvkvaj said:
Gruden nationally. Brock locally. Kearly in the house. Everyone else was a hater.

This. I'm literally not aware of another soul that was a fan of Wilson before the draft.

Except:

Football Outsiders. Wilson has the highest Lewin Career Forecast rating they've ever predicted. They even called him The Asterisk. His height, plus the differential in QB rating between his years at NC State and Wisconsin, combined to make him hard to predict through their model; but, it looks like their model is actually pretty damned accurate.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-dr ... ecast-2012

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I can tell you this. A trustworthy source (a friend of mine) who is also close friends with Leslie Frazier told me that Frazier wanted to draft Wilson early. He was very high or RW's intangibles. Frazier was overruled and told 'no, we have to play out our hand with Ponder'

Imagine how many careers that mandate altered.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Football gameplay or something had a video post
Draft saying he's already better than flynn

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
I have a facebook thread where I said just after the draft that he would win the starting job over Flynn and turn into our Franchise guy and got killed for it. Still revisit it often with friends lol. I remember Dilfer saying that a scout said he would go top 3 easily if he was two inches taller and his game tape was every bit as good as Lucks and RG3's.

Thanks for the posts guys, I appreciate it.

tdigitee

Reaction score
bestfightstory":u5ohalrw said:
I can tell you this. A trustworthy source (a friend of mine) who is also close friends with Leslie Frazier told me that Frazier wanted to draft Wilson early. He was very high or RW's intangibles. Frazier was overruled and told 'no, we have to play out our hand with Ponder'

Imagine how many careers that mandate altered.

Wow. And to think Frazier will probably get canned this season, primarily due to QB play...

It was really good for the dude who operates the Vikings' QB carousel - he will be gainfully employed till at least spring 2014, anyway.

ParisPC07

Reaction score
The Radish":24qrdbrt said:
Neon Dion was on his wagon right from the start.

"First name Russell, last name Wilson" was his chat even during draft time.

:les:

Neon Deon was Deon Branch because of the gloves. I think his biggest contribution to the team was those gloves popularizing the neon green color as a true tertiary color instead of just a lil pants stripe.

Latest posts