Who was right about Wilson pre-draft?

sc85sis

Reaction score
I liked him a lot after seeing those two crazy games vs. Michigan State. After the Gruden camp and Kip's posts I liked him even more. I was ecstatic when we drafted him, especially after seeing Pete and John's reactions.

I figured he'd have a shot because Pete would let him truly compete. When Pete started raving after rookie minicamp, I just knew. It felt like Matt Barkley as a true freshman all over again. I'd actually have been shocked if Russ didn't start.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I guess I was as right as I was wrong. I said our new QB would have to be the best 5'10" QB in history to take us long. I think he is that. But TBH, I didn't like the pick at the time. I actually became convinced after one of our losses (last year). Can't recall the exact game, but it was the day RW showed us his "It factor". Pete and Bevell soon started opening it up and we've been winning ever since. Good times.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I didn't commit to a prediction, although I got intrigued by Kip's laudings, but I thought he had higher ceiling than either T-Jack or Flynn. The only question was how much.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I was ambivalent. I wasn't posting here, but I was reading lots about him on the Draft Blog and Field Gulls, and I had made sure to watch Wilson play, as typically I don't watch Big Ten football unless they are playing a Pac 12 team.

I came out of it thinking that he could run and had a rocket arm (though he was mostly hitting open guys), and that I was more than okay with them collecting assets at the QB position and then seeing what would come out of it. I wasn't super excited about Wilson himself, but there was so much "first-round prospect except for his height" going around that I thought, why not take a chance on a guy everyone agrees has first-round tools in the third round when that pick was made.

I was just so glad to have two bites at the "replacing Matt Hasselbeck" apple that year.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
sliv":w0obrhj4 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":w0obrhj4 said:
Kip (Kearly) absolutely loved him pre-draft. Was the only draft writer I know who really banged the table for him.

I thought he was too short. That worked out well.

Wrong revisionist history is a trip but ask some of the mods they have been real about it in the past. I have always said I wish they had .net on archive but I don't come on so much anymore because of stuff like this....karma b!T@es

You've completely lost me pal. No idea what your response is trying to say.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
sliv":2asbnmgw said:
I don't come on so much anymore because of stuff like this

then maybe you should do yourself and us a favor and change that from "so much" to "at all".

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Didn't know a thing about him at the time. But my text conversation with my brother went like this :

Bro: We just took Russell Wilson!!
Me. Who is that?
Bro: QB from Wisconsin-He's Good!!
Me: a Quarterback?! That's a wasted pick.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha. I should get a Seahawks #3 with WASTEDPICK on the nameplate.

sliv

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2ay3o8xv said:
sliv":2ay3o8xv said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2ay3o8xv said:
Kip (Kearly) absolutely loved him pre-draft. Was the only draft writer I know who really banged the table for him.

Wrong revisionist history is a trip but ask some of the mods they have been real about it in the past. I have always said I wish they had .net on archive but I don't come on so much anymore because of stuff like this....karma b!T@es

Exactly.....but it really doesn't matter take care.

sliv

Reaction score
JSeahawks":32178a89 said:
I was right. Kearly was right. Sliv was right. I think Greg was in that as well. And a few others.

I don't know why I care but I still remember all the negative crap people would post back then if you suggested he was a viable option as a NFL QB. They were so sure and absolute about it, I guess it's whatever but man if you guys kept an archive it could really help hold certain people accountable, I don't know why this still gets me fired up but it's all good take care.

sliv

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1znigq94 said:
sliv":1znigq94 said:
I don't come on so much anymore because of stuff like this

then maybe you should do yourself and us a favor and change that from "so much" to "at all".

Done!

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
sliv":hgjbr5d1 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":hgjbr5d1 said:
sliv":hgjbr5d1 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":hgjbr5d1 said:

Exactly.....but it really doesn't matter take care.

You're complaining about revisionist history because I'm praising Kearly for calling Wilson. Which he did. That is a fact.

What has that got to do with you?

Bizarre.

Barthawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":12ak6tlf said:
Didn't know a thing about him at the time. But my text conversation with my brother went like this :

Bro: We just took Russell Wilson!!
Me. Who is that?
Bro: QB from Wisconsin-He's Good!!
Me: a Quarterback?! That's a wasted pick.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha. I should get a Seahawks #3 with WASTEDPICK on the nameplate.

I too was very agitated to put it mildly when we selected RW when we had just signed Flynn and had TJack.. We were in need of OL and DL help I thought

NorthwestSportsFan

Reaction score
I recall watching him play against Michigan State and I thought to myself that he's a baller and clutch. I remember thinking it'd be awesome to have a natural leader like him as our QB. When we picked him I was excited for his potential, but I think I underestimated how good he would be for us. I thought he'd sit behind Flynn for a year or so and then challenge for the starting spot. After all, we just spent a ton of money on the other guy and we wouldn't want that to go to waste, right? So, I'm not shocked that he's performed as well as he has, but I think he certainly exceeded my expectations.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I thought Cboom would be the 1st to jump in here and man up. :?

I wasn't sure about him and really didn't know much about him. I thought he showed a lot of promise in the preseason, but thought it wise to give him a clipboard for his rook season. Boy was I wrong!

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
I have no claim to be a pre draft RW3 supporter, but after watching Russell's 3rd preseason game over and over, I told my 25 year old son, this guy is going to be the best QB we ever had.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Not only was I wrong, I was hanging tough all the way into the regular season.. the Patriots game finally won me over.

Latest posts