Who will coach San Fran next year?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":3mkr96j8 said:
Marvin49":3mkr96j8 said:
pehawk":3mkr96j8 said:
Didn't he also say the new coach is expected to win a SB in year one, or else be reevaluated? So, the expectation is a coach that wins 10 straight SB's?

GothGirl, it's highly offensive you think I couldn't be objective. I'm not alone in my assessment and guess of Baalke's demeanor. Again, step out of your bubble and check twitter. There we're ALOT of media who picked up on that.

Or, what you said, I'm just bias.

I think peeps hear stuff like that and take it to an extreme. His point IMO is that everyone is always evaluated because they want to win a SB. It didn't mean "win this year or you're fired".

I honestly think what's happening here had little to do with the record of the team this season. SOMETHING was going on behind the scenes and we'll probably never know unless someone writes a book about it.

"Highly offensive to think I couldn't be objective"? Seriously? Did you of all people just say that to me? Wow. Pot? Kettle?

I'm all over twitter BTW. I already knew peeps were going to be all over them. They knew it too. That doesn't mean it's correct. Really don't care what the media thinks because I don't base my opinion on what people who are paid to write stories and make controversial statements to get attention say.

Living in the Bay Area, I have been listening to this all morning. The fans are double pissed after the press conference simply because York and Baalke came across as clueless idiots. York did not have to hold a 30+ minute press conference about Harbaugh - all he had to do was announce the decision and answer a few questions with something like "that was in the past, we are moving forward". Why have a press conference if you are not going to explain anything? But even though he didn't say much, he said WAY too much. Awkward, tons of inconsistencies, full of hyperbole. Look at the press conferences from other coaches let go today.....VERY different.

Might that have anything to do with the fact that Jed is a petulant child who is totally undeserving of the title of owner?

Marvin49

Reaction score
homerun1970":3337gtqa said:
It wasn't just Harbs dallying with other jobs, If I recall the 49ers tried to trade him to Cleveland then did their best to deny it. The whole organization is presently on the skids heading downhill fast. York can preach integrity and doing the things the right way but all the leaks out of that building are the opposite of that, If it wasn't him personally leaking stuff he sure wasn't on a hunt to find out who was and shut down the distraction.

...and York addressed that directly in the presser...but of course he's just a liar so that doesn't matter.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3k5w0mnw said:
Spleenhawk2.0":3k5w0mnw said:
Marvin49":3k5w0mnw said:
pehawk":3k5w0mnw said:
Didn't he also say the new coach is expected to win a SB in year one, or else be reevaluated? So, the expectation is a coach that wins 10 straight SB's?

GothGirl, it's highly offensive you think I couldn't be objective. I'm not alone in my assessment and guess of Baalke's demeanor. Again, step out of your bubble and check twitter. There we're ALOT of media who picked up on that.

Or, what you said, I'm just bias.

I think peeps hear stuff like that and take it to an extreme. His point IMO is that everyone is always evaluated because they want to win a SB. It didn't mean "win this year or you're fired".

I honestly think what's happening here had little to do with the record of the team this season. SOMETHING was going on behind the scenes and we'll probably never know unless someone writes a book about it.

"Highly offensive to think I couldn't be objective"? Seriously? Did you of all people just say that to me? Wow. Pot? Kettle?

I'm all over twitter BTW. I already knew peeps were going to be all over them. They knew it too. That doesn't mean it's correct. Really don't care what the media thinks because I don't base my opinion on what people who are paid to write stories and make controversial statements to get attention say.

Living in the Bay Area, I have been listening to this all morning. The fans are double pissed after the press conference simply because York and Baalke came across as clueless idiots. York did not have to hold a 30+ minute press conference about Harbaugh - all he had to do was announce the decision and answer a few questions with something like "that was in the past, we are moving forward". Why have a press conference if you are not going to explain anything? But even though he didn't say much, he said WAY too much. Awkward, tons of inconsistencies, full of hyperbole. Look at the press conferences from other coaches let go today.....VERY different.

Might that have anything to do with the fact that Jed is a petulant child who is totally undeserving of the title of owner?

...and there it is again. Kinda hard to take anyone seriously when that's the baseline opinion...especially when you didn't even know he was a DeBartolo, referred to Eddies sister as his wife, went on and on about how the Yorks mistreated Eddie (I guess you thought Eddie lost team in a divorce or something?) when Eddie was the one who got in legal trouble and even said Eddie wanted nothing to do with this team when Eddie is Jeds biggest confidant.

homerun1970

Reaction score
I didn't watch the presser so cant speak to that. Going off the no Jim was never brought up in talks stuff from earlier. if you wish I can go with hope Jim is in a great place to negotiate oh wait let me undermine him first. I cant stand Harbs he is however a good coach. The integrity shown this year by all is sad.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Marvin49":3m7bsb18 said:
hawknation2014":3m7bsb18 said:

...and there it is again. Kinda hard to take anyone seriously when that's the baseline opinion...especially when you didn't even know he was a DeBartolo, referred to Eddies sister as his wife, went on and on about how the Yorks mistreated Eddie (I guess you thought Eddie lost team in a divorce or something?) when Eddie was the one who got in legal trouble and even said Eddie wanted nothing to do with this team when Eddie is Jeds biggest confidant.

You are mistaken. I never said anything like that.

Marvin49

Reaction score
homerun1970":375lsg28 said:
I didn't watch the presser so cant speak to that. Going off the no Jim was never brought up in talks stuff from earlier. if you wish I can go with hope Jim is in a great place to negotiate oh wait let me undermine him first. I cant stand Harbs he is however a good coach. The integrity shown this year by all is sad.

Not once did York say a negative word about Harbaugh in presser. In fact he said the opposite. York also said ultimately HE was accountable.

Seriously, watch the thing.

What York said today is what he's been saying for months. There was an offer for Harbaugh from the Browns. Jed asked Harbaugh if he knew anything about it or if he was interested. Harbaugh said he knew nothing about it.

The only thing Jed added today was that he believed Harbaugh when he said that.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1ihu3x1f said:
Marvin49":1ihu3x1f said:
hawknation2014":1ihu3x1f said:

You are mistaken. I never said anything like that.

If not then I apologize. I thought it was you.

Still though...the petulant child thing is pretty lame. He's a grown man who put together a team that went to 3 NFCCGs and got the first stadium built for the NFL in CA in 50 years.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1hmdxq5h said:
49ers have asked for permission to speak to Josh McDaniels.

Yes...and Adam Gase, Todd Bowles, and Dan Quinn.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SeatownJay":r4e4k1dg said:
Marvin, any chance SF looks back to the college ranks for someone like Kevin Sumlin?

Maybe...particularly after the "I'm looking for a teacher" line from York today. Dunno a ton about college coaches tho so can't speak to which ones might be interesting.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":aosj2xyu said:
pehawk":aosj2xyu said:
theENGLISHseahawk":aosj2xyu said:
Baalke and York sounded totally out of their depth speaking today.

Just totally piss poor.

That franchise is going backwards. Big time.

It was really, REALLY bad. What a train wreck.

Marvin, explain to me the differences in York's again? Because, they all sound and act the same from where I'm sitting.

Not gonna explain anything. I took something completely different away from the press conference.

Not really in the mood to argue it either. Pointless. There is nothing Baalke or Jed could have said that would change anyone's view. All that matters is results.

head_in_the_sand-461x307.jpg

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
hawknation2014":gnkcbszt said:
Spleenhawk2.0":gnkcbszt said:

Very few people are right when they say something almost everyone else disagrees with. It happens, but it's rare, and the person is usually a genius visionary. I doubt this is the case here.

If folks remember back a number of years, they'll see that we too know full well what it's like to have a horrible owner. We know the signs when we see one because we saw it firsthand. Cowboys fans and Browns fans know it too. And I bet a lot of 49ers fans have realized it already too. Bad owners happen. And it makes finally getting a great owner all the sweeter.

the ditch

Reaction score
Who would have thought that a team would fire a coach with a 44-19-1 record. Jed York is going to get a good taste of the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

They're not going to get a coach better than Harbaugh, but the 34 year old owner is happy his ego won out I bet.

As a Seahawks fan I'm pretty happy though.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Bring in the Mora era pretty please. I am glad to see Harbaugh go anywhere but in the NFC guys a coach. My worst fear was him ending up with the Lambs somehow another stocked division rival only needing a QB. Tremendous defense in place and a lot off offensive playmakers as well as a huge compliment of draft picks.

Jville

Reaction score
Since you asked ....... [tweet]https://twitter.com/timkawakami/status/549735586005671936[/tweet]

Jed York’s muddled moment: On the first day of the post-Harbaugh era, 49ers management looks smaller than ever >>> [urltargetblank]http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2014/12/29/jed-york-3/[/urltargetblank]

the ditch

Reaction score
I also enjoyed how Jed talked about accountability and winning superbowls with Baalke sitting next to him, a guy who also hasn't won a superbowl and also COMPLETELY wiffed on the 2012 draft, I mean, go and look at their 2012 draft and have a good laugh.

Anyways, that guy was sitting next to Jed, accountability.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Everything they said today was music to a Seahawks fans ears.

Here's the big problem. They run the risk of trusting a big offensive kick start with a mere offensive coordinator appointment if they go for a Tomsula or a defensive coordinator. If they go with an offensive minded Head coach he'll be coming in to work with someone else's quarterback -- a QB with a very strict skill-set and is anything but conventional.

They want a patsy for Baalke. Someone who will get what he's given and like it. So how long until the next big fall out? What happens if the new regime don't mesh with Kaepernick?

This whole situation sounds like a total nightmare. And who the hell are they going to appoint? Gase? Do they know he doesn't get to keep Peyton Manning? Mora? McDaniels -- running a system totally conventional in New England with a pure pocket passer?

It's a right mess. A complete and utter mess.

Maybe Harbaugh is a pain in the arse who can't be anywhere more than 3-4 years before he gets forced out? But Baalke and York got rid of the guy who transformed this team into a powerhouse and now what? Baalke gets a patsy. I'd be scared witless as a Niners fan.

Jville

Reaction score
My observations from the York / Baalke press conference:

York and Baalke remain a polarizing couple. That polarization continues to make its presence felt throughout the press, media and fan base. Nothing has changed and more of the same is on the way.

York and Baalke will continue to make the decisions while announcing them thru the head coach as a conduit. So coaching candidates should understand, going in, that a York mandated disconnect between authority and responsibility will continue to effect 49er coaches. York and Baalke will make the decisions and the media and press will continue to grill coaches over issues of accountability.

The details of what happened in the Harbaugh era remain cloaked in silence. That silence is an indirect indicator that nondisclosure agreements were likely part of the separation process.

Although they talk about finding and hiring teachers, I can't put my finger on what if anything York and Baalke have actually learned from the past 4 years. :229031_shrug: Perhaps it is a proprietary secret.

The decisions of both York and Baalke remain above reproach. They answer to no one. A cloak of obscurity continues to provide the cover they insist on to the frustration of both fans and media alike.

Finally, as a fan who experienced first hand how much damage a bad owner can do, my condolences to 49er fans. It is no longer your fathers team. To the residents of San Francisco .... congratulations on winning the World Series. :th2thumbs: And to coaching candidates everywhere ...... be forwarded.

Latest posts