Who will coach San Fran next year?

chris98251

Reaction score
I think Quinn knows the cesspool of ineptitude in the front office there. Scott McGlophlin was there and I am sure he has had discussions. I think the Bears Job or Falcons would be the better one to land, Bears is a rebuild but if he can get that defense humming again they would love him there forever. Falcons have an offense of sorts and a defense that needs his touch and the South could be his quickly. Raiders, I think the connection with Schnieder and McKenzie may be a good pipeline, they need bodies but have a good start.

Jets is a accident waiting to happen with Woody Johnson mucking things up just about as much as the Yorks and Balke.

Although he may interview and get a idea of his value in both NY and SC.

I also see him wanting a level of control over personal that I don't think he will get in SC and or NY.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
pehawk":lt04x39e said:
Marvin, explain to me the differences in York's again? Because, they all sound and act the same from where I'm sitting.

Weird statement. Jeb sounds NOTHING like John. If you want to condemn Jeb shoot him down as a Dan Snyder type: a grass is greener know nothing who's immaturity causes him to be impulsive and reactionary, forever condemning his team to mediocrity. John was a disinterested bureaucrat whose dedication to the team never seemed to extend beyond quarterly P&L statement.

If you want to condemn them:

Jeb = a cripplingly spoiled and immature Eddie Debartolo.

John = an anthropomorphized and outdated TurboTax CD-rom.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Largent80":14hcw7yy said:
Well, whatever happens, just wondering, who SF fans will cheer for , if any, in the playoffs.

I had too many years over the last decades to do the same. Sometimes I just didn't care and sometimes I picked a team.

In the 80's I always rooted for SF over DalASS.

When the 9ers are out I always root for a team that hasn't won one before (why I rooted for the Hawks last year but won't this year).

Probably the Lions. Only team in the playoffs which has never even been to one, I like a lot of their players, and it would be really nice for the long suffering city of Detroit. I don't think they have much of a chance but until they're out I'll root for them.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Shanny as the HC? That would be great! He has seriously not on a single important game in his life, without Elway.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — Former San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh has agreed to become the new coach at Michigan, according to a person with knowledge of the discussions.

A deal has been signed, according to the person who spoke Monday to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because there was no announcement from the school or Harbaugh.

Harbaugh didn’t immediately respond to calls or text messages. Multiple reports say the school will announce Tuesday that the former Michigan quarterback is replacing the fired Brady Hoke.

The 51-year-old Harbaugh coached the 49ers to three straight NFC championship games. After the 49ers slipped to 8-8 this season and missed the playoffs, he parted ways with the team in what both sides called a mutual decision.

Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll was asked at his Monday news conference about Harbaugh, his NFC West rival who always had his team ready to play the Hawks tough.

“Yeah, it’s good he’s out of here in that regard,” Carroll said. “He was tough. I wish him the very best.”

http://q13fox.com/2014/12/29/michigan-l ... -the-best/

NINEster

Reaction score
Here's my take on the whole York/Baalke thing:

Jed York as you all know is the nephew of Eddie Debartolo and grew up with the team during the dynasty years. His personality seems to be a lot closer to Uncle Eddie than either of his parents, but still not exactly a clone.

Eddie D was a passionate owner, almost a little too passionate. He was roughly the same age as Jed was when he took over the team, and had the luxury of no salary cap, no free agency to break up the team (along with the good fortune of Bill Walsh, Joe Montana, Steve Young). In addition, he was a baller in his social and professional life and treated his players like royalty with the wide body planes, premier hotels, lavish offseason parties, etc.

He was a player's owner but at the same time he was really hard on coaches. You had Bill Walsh fired/unfired several times -- a top 3/4 all time head coach we're talking about here. George Seifert said he was never really forgiven for losing the '90 NFC Championship game and denying the fanbase the 3peat -- that is too great a goal for any head coach, and so far no team has accomplished that goal and probably never will. Then you have Steve Mariucci fired after leading the Niners to the playoffs.

I think overall what you have is an ownership mentality that is no longer applicable to the modern NFL. Debartolo was an enviable owner during the '80s and '90s, but I wonder if his personality would have created problems moving into this millenium. Better owner than his sister/brother in law, but maybe too intense still. If Jim Harbaugh could own an NFL team he would be very much like Eddie Debartolo.

So Jed York looks to be Eddie 2.0 and it's not as authentic nor ideal in the modern league which is way more competitive than when Eddie was around. This whole "super bowl or bust" talk is horse s**** that can only have adverse effects on the players and even fans. It's very much a carryover from the Eddie D days, and only creates problems in my mind. It's this kind of spoiled mentality that I know was a turnoff to league fans 25 years ago, and now it appears like it never left.

I do agree with some Hawk fans here that for the first time I think the head coaching vacancy in SF will be surrounded with some level of trepidation. Ultimately there will be a coach that takes this on (and can be a very good one) because at the end of the day, it's still a desirable job to have. Maybe there's ambiguity on whether it was Harbaugh that did himself in or if York/Baalke were unreasonable -- everyone will have to make their own call on that. It's not quite like the Jerry Jones/Jimmy Johnson divorce.......in that case, it was clear to everyone (and has been stated by Jimmy Johnson) that Jones wanted to be the real GM/get all the credit and Jimmy wasn't having that.

Some concern will be there for the next guy.

The Redskins job still seems the most toxic in the league given the Snyder aspect and potentially the RG3 QB situation. The 49ers do not have those problems.

As for Baalke, don't know what to think right now. Will have to wait awhile and reserve judgment.

pehawk

Reaction score
NINEster":2cqzl2q9 said:
Here's my take on the whole York/Baalke thing:

Jed York as you all know is the nephew of Eddie Debartolo and grew up with the team during the dynasty years. His personality seems to be a lot closer to Uncle Eddie than either of his parents, but still not exactly a clone.

Eddie D was a passionate owner, almost a little too passionate. He was roughly the same age as Jed was when he took over the team, and had the luxury of no salary cap, no free agency to break up the team (along with the good fortune of Bill Walsh, Joe Montana, Steve Young). In addition, he was a baller in his social and professional life and treated his players like royalty with the wide body planes, premier hotels, lavish offseason parties, etc.

He was a player's owner but at the same time he was really hard on coaches. You had Bill Walsh fired/unfired several times -- a top 3/4 all time head coach we're talking about here. George Seifert said he was never really forgiven for losing the '90 NFC Championship game and denying the fanbase the 3peat -- that is too great a goal for any head coach, and so far no team has accomplished that goal and probably never will. Then you have Steve Mariucci fired after leading the Niners to the playoffs.

I think overall what you have is an ownership mentality that is no longer applicable to the modern NFL. Debartolo was an enviable owner during the '80s and '90s, but I wonder if his personality would have created problems moving into this millenium. Better owner than his sister/brother in law, but maybe too intense still. If Jim Harbaugh could own an NFL team he would be very much like Eddie Debartolo.

So Jed York looks to be Eddie 2.0 and it's not as authentic nor ideal in the modern league which is way more competitive than when Eddie was around. This whole "super bowl or bust" talk is horse s**** that can only have adverse effects on the players and even fans. It's very much a carryover from the Eddie D days, and only creates problems in my mind. It's this kind of spoiled mentality that I know was a turnoff to league fans 25 years ago, and now it appears like it never left.

I do agree with some Hawk fans here that for the first time I think the head coaching vacancy in SF will be surrounded with some level of trepidation. Ultimately there will be a coach that takes this on (and can be a very good one) because at the end of the day, it's still a desirable job to have. Maybe there's ambiguity on whether it was Harbaugh that did himself in or if York/Baalke were unreasonable -- everyone will have to make their own call on that. It's not quite like the Jerry Jones/Jimmy Johnson divorce.......in that case, it was clear to everyone (and has been stated by Jimmy Johnson) that Jones wanted to be the real GM/get all the credit and Jimmy wasn't having that.

Some concern will be there for the next guy.

The Redskins job still seems the most toxic in the league given the Snyder aspect and potentially the RG3 QB situation. The 49ers do not have those problems.

As for Baalke, don't know what to think right now. Will have to wait awhile and reserve judgment.

Good post, Sweetie.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1e3bfe3u said:
pehawk":1e3bfe3u said:
.......PS: Is that lil weasel Marvin49 REALLY hiding? Is he not man enough to hang after the debacles?
rlkats is the only Whiner fan left on these boards today. Seems the prospect of a losing season, or at best a .500 finish is too much for the rest of them to take. Between the Hawks and Chargers it seems their spirit has been crushed.
Well there's also the fact that our team is looking like it has a really serious chance at back to back championships. That's gotta sting. :179417:
Lol no.

There just hasn't been much reason to be on the Hawk board lately. Ffs you have a bye.

Anyway, they are going to interview Gase and Mike Shanahan when they go to Colorado. Personally I think Shanahan would be ideal for Kaepernick. His passing game is fluid, much like Seattle's, rather than the target offense the 49ers became (as Dilfer put it)
the ditch":1e3bfe3u said:
Who would have thought that a team would fire a coach with a 44-19-1 record. Jed York is going to get a good taste of the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

They're not going to get a coach better than Harbaugh, but the 34 year old owner is happy his ego won out I bet.

As a Seahawks fan I'm pretty happy though.
Some recent speculation saysa big reason was that Harbaugh refused to fire Roman.

drdiags

Reaction score
To the OP, I wouldn't want to bring in the old re-treads like Shanahan but then again Rex Ryan would tweak my interest if I could marry him to an innovative OC.

Sounds like Tomasula would make sense if the 9ers stay in-house. I would avoid Gase and McDaniels but that is because I am biased against their successes which seemed to be more due to the QBs running their offenses and not them. One could argue that Gase worked magic getting Tebow to have success his one year of guiding the Broncos.

I don't understand why the 9ers would be looking at the two inter-division DCs and not their own in Fangio. Maybe this has happened, I have been out of the loop during the holidays.

This discussion seems to wander across multiple themes and while worthy points reminds me of Pithy's comment about "Herding Cats". Folks just cannot stay on topic.

Sonichellboy

Reaction score
drdiags":2r2t0xz7 said:
One could argue that Gase worked magic getting Tebow to have success his one year of guiding the Broncos.
Wasn't Mike McCoy the OC that year?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
drdiags":1looh3wu said:
T
I don't understand why the 9ers would be looking at the two inter-division DCs and not their own in Fangio. Maybe this has happened, I have been out of the loop during the holidays.

Yeah, Fangio and Tomsula were the very first two to interview.

I think one of two things is going on, and they both could be going on with competing motivations:

1) They want to promote Tomsula, and the circus of bringing 10 people in is just to give the public impression of due diligence when the inevitable backlash for promoting Tomsula happens.

2) I think York has been sincere in tipping off what was happening, and what they want. More pointedly he was VERY sincere when he said that he wants stability, and wants a coach who will 1) be there for 10 years , 2) will be a teacher of both players and other coaches, and 3) will leave a successor in ten years when he's done. They're looking widely because, for better or for worse, they're not looking for just a good coach, they're looking for a certain type of personality too. You have to bring in everyone you can (and they are) to try to find that combination of someone who you think can both win and have the temperament and orientation to do the other things you want from a coach (e.g. Harbaugh had the first part of the equation in spades, and was just tragically flawed on the second part of the equation). Who knows if that guy exists, but they're looking for him.

Regarding the inter-division DCs, I have to suspect they're hoping to get some insight into their rivals through these interviews as well (although Quinn and Bowles would have to both be pretty dumb to do that, and I doubt they are).

drdiags

Reaction score
Sonichellboy":b16guc7z said:
drdiags":b16guc7z said:
One could argue that Gase worked magic getting Tebow to have success his one year of guiding the Broncos.
Wasn't Mike McCoy the OC that year?

Upon further review, yes Mike McCoy was the OC (thus getting the job at San Diego behind his work). I must have misread something from the national guys when they were giving Gase some credit for the Tebow work.

drdiags

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1e0ptjnh said:
Regarding the inter-division DCs, I have to suspect they're hoping to get some insight into their rivals through these interviews as well (although Quinn and Bowles would have to both be pretty dumb to do that, and I doubt they are).

I was thinking this angle as well, since I am sure they want to self-scout their offense and Kapernick. Even if they don't get much from these guys they would provide invaluable info. The two would have to be truthful in discussing where they might want to improve the offense from a defensive point of view. The two would have to give what their plans would be for the offense and the 9ers FO would store that away for future encounters with their divisional rivals.

I see the 9ers are also allowing more of their current defensive staff to interview with other teams, including Fangio.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hiring Ryan would explain letting your defensive staff look around, but doesn't Ryan have a style similar to Harbaugh as far as his ability to throw tantrums, talk out his ass or alienate himself. I mean wasn't the reason they got rid of Harbaugh was a difference of philosophy.

I guess the real question is how many Jets were arrested last year?

Latest posts