Why 49ers drafted Buckner....

pehawk

Reaction score
Tical21":3te0pf2h said:
I'm actually not high on Buckner. I only watched portions of two games, but he spent way more time going backwards than I expected out of such a high pick. There was one particular play against Cal where he got put on skates for about five yards and pancaked. Maybe I was thinking he was a different kind of player than he was, but I think there are some definite red flags with this pick.

Exactly what I saw.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":17b2djna said:
His job won't be to get to the QB. If he does thats just a big bonus. His job is to disrupt and eat up linemen for the LBs to run free.

Good job you spent two top-20 picks finding defensive linemen that can occupy blocks. Everyone knows they are soooooo hard to find. I always think it's a bonus too when a top-10 pick D-liner can rush the passer. Best not to expect them to do that though in case they start crying under the added stress of the job.

Phew! Thank goodness you didn't waste any resources on a pesky quarterback, cornerback or pass rusher.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Someone mentioned Bukner is everything Arik Armstead was supposed to be? Arik Armstead ceiling is off the charts. He's just 22 years old and that's why the Niners drafted him. This kid is gonna make a huge leap in his 2nd year.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I don't know if Buckner and Armestad will work out but I think Baalke is trying to replace Justin Smith and Raymac and I give him credit for that. Look at Bowman now that he doesn't have those guys in front of him. LB is a position that relies heavily on what the front 3 or 4 do.

9ers have been praised for a while on LB play but the real studs were Cowboy and Raymac. Look at Aldon Smith for another example.

We build our defense from the back forward Baalke is trying to do it the more traditional way by masking deficiencies with dominant line play. The biggest problem I see is how often does a Justin Smith come along and even then how many years does it take for him to perfect his craft.

It may work but I think it will take several years before you really know for sure.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":wyjxji17 said:
I don't know if Buckner and Armestad will work out but I think Baalke is trying to replace Justin Smith and Raymac and I give him credit for that. Look at Bowman now that he doesn't have those guys in front of him. LB is a position that relies heavily on what the front 3 or 4 do.

9ers have been praised for a while on LB play but the real studs were Cowboy and Raymac. Look at Aldon Smith for another example.

We build our defense from the back forward Baalke is trying to do it the more traditional way by masking deficiencies with dominant line play. The biggest problem I see is how often does a Justin Smith come along and even then how many years does it take for him to perfect his craft.

It may work but I think it will take several years before you really know for sure.

I couldn't agree more.

We have no idea how it will work out. Maybe both guys bust in a big way. Maybe both become All-Pros. Most likely it'll be something in between, but outside of Myles Jack the guy I wanted most was Buckner.

Lets be real. Niners probably aren't looking at a playoff run anytime soon. It's time to stock up talent. At their recent height, the Niners were dominant on the lines, both O and D. They were powered by one of the best O-Lines in the game and one of the best front 7s in the game.

THATS what I think Baalke is trying to rebuild. Will Buckner be Justin and will Armstead be McDonald? Who knows. I like the attempt though. 3-4 DEs aren't a sexy pick to be sure, but those two guys were a HUGE, HUGE reason why that front 7 was so good.

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
Marvin49":1g38d4yb said:
RichNhansom":1g38d4yb said:

I couldn't agree more.

We have no idea how it will work out. Maybe both guys bust in a big way. Maybe both become All-Pros. Most likely it'll be something in between, but outside of Myles Jack the guy I wanted most was Buckner.

Lets be real. Niners probably aren't looking at a playoff run anytime soon. It's time to stock up talent. At their recent height, the Niners were dominant on the lines, both O and D. They were powered by one of the best O-Lines in the game and one of the best front 7s in the game.

THATS what I think Baalke is trying to rebuild. Will Buckner be Justin and will Armstead be McDonald? Who knows. I like the attempt though. 3-4 DEs aren't a sexy pick to be sure, but those two guys were a HUGE, HUGE reason why that front 7 was so good.

Also, it's NOT ALL about rushing the passer.

That run defense is critical too.

Marvin49

Reaction score
NINEster":go2s707a said:
Marvin49":go2s707a said:
RichNhansom":go2s707a said:

I couldn't agree more.

Also, it's NOT ALL about rushing the passer.

That run defense is critical too.

Correct. Also, if you have to double team a DE it leaves less blockers for the OLBs to deal with. Its TEAM pass rush, not just individuals. if you can disrupt and force the offense to deal with you it opens everything up for everyone else.

chris98251

Reaction score
It's so cute, we have 49er fans telling Seahawks fans how a defense is suppose to work. :)

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":3jfanpl1 said:
It's so cute, we have 49er fans telling Seahawks fans how a defense is suppose to work. :)

Judging from a comment or two it would appear some need the training.

chris98251

Reaction score
Marvin49":8rdh1it9 said:
chris98251":8rdh1it9 said:

Well there is that, can't say I can disagree.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":1tjv1j6f said:
Marvin49":1tjv1j6f said:
chris98251":1tjv1j6f said:

Well there is that, can't say I can disagree.

:D

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
It's really, really cute to see the Niners posse telling themselves everything is going to be OK.

It kinda reminds me of something but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Oh yes!

Hqdefault

rideaducati

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1g2q8lp9 said:
It's really, really cute to see the Niners posse telling themselves everything is going to be OK.

Oh yes!

Hqdefault

They still have hope for Baalke...so cute. Next, they'll be trying to convince themselves that Chipster's offense is tailor made for Keeporpick. Always amusing though.

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
rideaducati":1hisf4fd said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1hisf4fd said:

Oh yes!

Hqdefault

They still have hope for Baalke...so cute. Next, they'll be trying to convince themselves that Chipster's offense is tailor made for Keeporpick. Always amusing though.

Well Baalke just admitted he's drafting purposely not just for Seattle but for Russell Wilson.

He hired Chip Kelly for Kaepernick.

If it weren't for Pete Carroll, there would be no Sherman or Chancellor in Seattle most likely.

Have faith that the guys getting W2s from NFL teams know what they are doing. :thirishdrinkers:

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
chris98251":1xn66npm said:

It's ok.....we have Hawk fans telling us what a QB is supposed to look like as if Steve Young and Joe Montana never played in this league. :thirishdrinkers:

chris98251

Reaction score
NINEster":3dr1mxlj said:
chris98251":3dr1mxlj said:

It's ok.....we have Hawk fans telling us what a QB is supposed to look like as if Steve Young and Joe Montana never played in this league. :thirishdrinkers:

Except Steve Young and Joe Montana don't play for the 49ers anymore, we also have a whole post history about how Great Kaep is from two years ago, I may be able to find those archives if you need a refresher:)

Latest posts