Why 49ers drafted Buckner....

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Buckner: "Hey, coach. I know we're not playing Seattle this week but I was still wondering if I might be able to get some snaps?"

Kelly: "No, you are only a piece of the puzzle to get Wilson. That is why we drafted you."

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
"So boss -- can I rush the passer this week or not?"

"NO! We're not playing Russell Wilson for another eight weeks. Now go and shave those sideburns."

"What sideburns?"

2cC2LwP

Popeyejones

Reaction score
NINEster":1z2vdgwn said:
Well Baalke just admitted he's drafting purposely not just for Seattle but for Russell Wilson.

Link?

That quote doesn't show up anywhere, and wasn't in Baalke's comments the only time he's discussed the draft with reporters.

Edit: On the Kawakami side from a quick Google search the only mention Kawakami makes of the 9ers draft is giving them crap for not taking Laremy Tunsil and Connor Cook ( :lol: ). It makes sense that Kawakami would want the 9ers to be drafting all character question guys (more to write about) but all he has to say about Buckner is that he was a good safe pick (he's left thrashing Baalke for making what he considers to be safe picks).

What am I missing?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NINEster":1nz3tbgo said:
chris98251":1nz3tbgo said:
It's so cute, we have 49er fans telling Seahawks fans how a defense is suppose to work. :)

It's ok.....we have Hawk fans telling us what a QB is supposed to look like as if Steve Young and Joe Montana never played in this league. :thirishdrinkers:
What century was that??? 8)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1l2f4j0d said:
NINEster":1l2f4j0d said:
Well Baalke just admitted he's drafting purposely not just for Seattle but for Russell Wilson.

Link?

That quote doesn't show up anywhere, and wasn't in Baalke's comments the only time he's discussed the draft with reporters.

Edit: On the Kawakami side from a quick Google search the only mention Kawakami makes of the 9ers draft is giving them crap for not taking Laremy Tunsil and Connor Cook ( :lol: ). It makes sense that Kawakami would want the 9ers to be drafting all character question guys (more to write about) but all he has to say about Buckner is that he was a good safe pick (he's left thrashing Baalke for making what he considers to be safe picks).

What am I missing?
Timmy has been right a lot lately. Timmy rules! :th2thumbs: :stirthepot: 8)

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2pwuu576 said:
Popeyejones":2pwuu576 said:
NINEster":2pwuu576 said:

Link?

What am I missing?
Timmy has been right a lot lately. Timmy rules! :th2thumbs: :stirthepot: 8)

Hey Popeye....you're onto something....

God bless Tim Kawakami. :thirishdrinkers: :th2thumbs:

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":d3dplvdv said:
NINEster":d3dplvdv said:
chris98251":d3dplvdv said:
It's so cute, we have 49er fans telling Seahawks fans how a defense is suppose to work. :)

It's ok.....we have Hawk fans telling us what a QB is supposed to look like as if Steve Young and Joe Montana never played in this league. :thirishdrinkers:
What century was that??? 8)

The same century that Steve Largent played in.

So tell me, do you know what a great wide receiver looks like?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Pretty funny watching Ninester trying to troll.

Hey Ninester do you know how many 9er fans are bandwagoners who jumped on when Harbaugh arrived? Most of your fan base have no clue who Largent is let alone Young and Rice.

You really should pay better attention before trying to call out another fan base. Your own partner Popeye has already admitted he is jumping on a different band wagon. Your only making yourself look silly with your comments.

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3puztydd said:

Hey Ninester do you know how many 9er fans are bandwagoners who jumped on when Harbaugh arrived? Most of your fan base have no clue who Largent is let alone Young and Rice.

You really should pay better attention before trying to call out another fan base. Your own partner Popeye has already admitted he is jumping on a different band wagon. Your only making yourself look silly with your comments.

Which bandwagon is he jumping to? He admitted to what? Haha.

All fanbases have their bandwagon and super hardcore element.

I refuse to believe any fanbase is mostly bandwagon or mostly "legit".

So my comments are simply tit for tat in good fun.

Can we not have any fun around here?

I'm human so I get affected by trash talk like anyone, but I don't harbor the hate for the Hawks as much as it seems nor as much as most Seattleites have for the 49ers. Pre-Harbaugh I didn't have the hate, and was ok with a bunch of those Hasselbeck teams and the entire AFC era.

There's an extra element of hate that exists in this rivalry that doesn't exist with Cardinals or Rams.

ps - you're right.....most of the zone does not know Young and Rice.....except Young2Rice. :mrgreen:

Laloosh

Reaction score
NINEster":2rqih0ys said:
RichNhansom":2rqih0ys said:

Which bandwagon is he jumping to? He admitted to what? Haha.

All fanbases have their bandwagon and super hardcore element.

I refuse to believe any fanbase is mostly bandwagon or mostly "legit".

So my comments are simply tit for tat in good fun.

Can we not have any fun around here?

I'm human so I get affected by trash talk like anyone, but I don't harbor the hate for the Hawks as much as it seems nor as much as most Seattleites have for the 49ers. Pre-Harbaugh I didn't have the hate, and was ok with a bunch of those Hasselbeck teams and the entire AFC era.

There's an extra element of hate that exists in this rivalry that doesn't exist with Cardinals or Rams.

ps - you're right.....most of the zone does not know Young and Rice.....except Young2Rice. :mrgreen:

Everybody but popeye knows that popeye is a closet Seahawks fan. Not even debatable. He hates himself for it but he can't help being here and he spends so much time correcting the minutia in statements made by Seahawks fans because he's constantly trying to reinforce the stance that he's not a Seahawks fan.

Watch, he'll disagree with my statement, validating it in the process... Unless Marvin, aka Kuato steps in first.

Tr quatto

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Laloosh":jak3c28a said:
Everybody but popeye knows that popeye is a closet Seahawks fan.

Isn't it obvious by this point that I'm a Seahawks fan?

Now that the 9ers suck it was super easy to jump ship from the blustery self-loathing over there to the typical Seahawks fans' natural state of existence.

True Story: I was super-conflicted about who to root for last night while watching the Warriors give up a game to the Oklahoma City SuperSonics.

;)

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":32xextth said:
Laloosh":32xextth said:
Everybody but popeye knows that popeye is a closet Seahawks fan.

Isn't it obvious by this point that I'm a Seahawks fan?

Now that the 9ers suck it was super easy to jump ship from the blustery self-loathing over there to the typical Seahawks fans' natural state of existence.

True Story: I was super-conflicted about who to root for last night while watching the Warriors give up a game to the Oklahoma City SuperSonics.

;)

57854983.jpg

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
pehawk":qvvb5ypm said:
Buckner's propensity to be average 75% of his snaps will certainly strike fear into Wilson.
That's higher than most defensive linemen even if it were true.

kearly":qvvb5ypm said:
I see Buckner as being a bit like a rookie Frank Clark. Makes a lot of splash plays that are nice, but is a ways off from being a 10 sack guy.
He doesn't play on the outside in the first place. He's a defensive tackle (an end in a 34 scheme). That said, he DID get ten sacks last year.

It's amazing how a guy who was universally considered one of the top picks in the draft is suddenly average here once the 49ers draft him.

Maulbert

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2uw61d6k said:
pehawk":2uw61d6k said:
Buckner's propensity to be average 75% of his snaps will certainly strike fear into Wilson.

kearly":2uw61d6k said:
I see Buckner as being a bit like a rookie Frank Clark. Makes a lot of splash plays that are nice, but is a ways off from being a 10 sack guy.
He doesn't play on the outside in the first place. He's a defensive tackle (an end in a 34 scheme). That said, he DID get ten sacks last year.

It's amazing how a guy who was universally considered one of the top picks in the draft is suddenly average here once the 49ers draft him.

Well, with Chip Kelly for a coach, he'll be on the field 65-70% of the game.

rideaducati

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":uhr0fm3w said:
pehawk":uhr0fm3w said:

kearly":uhr0fm3w said:

I find this amazing too. Like Cleveland, the niners turn "can't miss" prospects into awful players. How can they do that so consistently?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
rideaducati":3nwb5zir said:
5_Golden_Rings":3nwb5zir said:
pehawk":3nwb5zir said:

kearly":3nwb5zir said:

I find this amazing too. Like Cleveland, the niners turn "can't miss" prospects into awful players. How can they do that so consistently?

Good point. Look at Crabtree, Ted Ginn jr and Delainie Walker to just name a few. They definitely are not getting the most out of their players.

I wonder how good Buckner and Armestad will become after going to another team. Assuming they don't retire before their rookie contract is up.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rideaducati":1qw9f25t said:

Which "can't miss prospects" have they turned into awful players?

If they're to be criticized it would be for reaching for people and regularly losing on taking high risk/reward injury specials.

The only guys who got branded as "can't miss" guys at draft time that they've taken in the past decade both panned out (Patrick Willis in '07 an Mike Iupati in 2010).

If anything they're first round picks have been thought of as incomplete projects (Armstead, Staley, Bam Davis, Vernon Davis, Lawson), reaches (Reid, Ward, Jenkins), or guys who fell a little bit because they had flags on them (Crabtree, Balmer).

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
Golden Tate became a pro bowler after leaving Seattle.

You'd never know that Jimmy Graham kept DC's up at night once upon a time, if you only saw him last year.

Percy Harvin has NFL tape worthy of some team giving up what the Hawks gave up for him. Unfortunately he went to the wrong team.

Defensive players get better joining Seattle, offensive guys don't. Marshawn Lynch is the only offensive player I can think of that joined the Hawks and became a better player.

49ers for what it's worth maximize defensive players pretty well. Not every single damn one of them, but they've done a decent job, better than most teams. Justin Smith and Ahmad Brooks left Cincinnati and became real forces.

Now on offense you might have a point, and many Niner fans have said that the team didn't develop the guys as much as we would have liked.

But would Crabtree have been a dominant WR if he went to Green Bay or New England instead? I'm not so sure. His 2012 season was pretty good, not sure if he would have done a lot better elsewhere. Hakeem Nicks looked great with the Giants up until that knee injury against the Bucs in 2012. Could Crabtree have been that type of monster?

Maybe.

But no way was Nicks going to do anything more in SF. Or Seattle.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
NINEster":3k5yo378 said:

You'd never know that Jimmy Graham kept DC's up at night once upon a time, if you only saw him last year.

Percy Harvin has NFL tape worthy of some team giving up what the Hawks gave up for him. Unfortunately he went to the wrong team.

Defensive players get better joining Seattle, offensive guys don't. Marshawn Lynch is the only offensive player I can think of that joined the Hawks and became a better player.

49ers for what it's worth maximize defensive players pretty well. Not every single damn one of them, but they've done a decent job, better than most teams. Justin Smith and Ahmad Brooks left Cincinnati and became real forces.

Now on offense you might have a point, and many Niner fans have said that the team didn't develop the guys as much as we would have liked.

But would Crabtree have been a dominant WR if he went to Green Bay or New England instead? I'm not so sure. His 2012 season was pretty good, not sure if he would have done a lot better elsewhere. Hakeem Nicks looked great with the Giants up until that knee injury against the Bucs in 2012. Could Crabtree have been that type of monster?

Maybe.

Golden Tate was just as good in Seattle and almost everyone here assumed when he went to Detroit he would show up on the NFL's radar due to the increase in passing %. In no way did Tate suddenly blossom there after sucking in Seattle, it is just volume.

Jimmy Graham has been here 1 year and suffered a catastrophic injury. If you look past media narrative, you would know he was actually on pace to put up good season numbers prior to that. This example is disingenuous.

Harvin was an obvious mistake, but it wasn't like he has lit the league up after he left our team either. Dude was a headcase and continued to be so on the Jets and the Bills, hence his recent retirement.

All your examples are garbage and your argument is flawed.

I actually think there is a development and utilization problem in SF, which is why your team became REALLY EFFING good when Harbaugh was there (I'm counting assistant coaches as well). I feel like even right now you have a pretty good group of players, that are currently underperforming. Maybe Kelly will help with that, it remains to be seen. Coaching is really important, just look at the Rams.

Laloosh

Reaction score
NINEster":l9d5w1to said:

Maybe.

Wait a minute... Going to high volume passing offenses result in receivers and tight ends having better stats and making pro bowls? Low hanging fruit anyone?