Why can't we just be okay with dominating?

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Pete's teams just seem to want to underachieve. They want to be backed into a corner...and come out of it as heroes.

Why can't this team just take what is theirs? It just boggles my mind. Every year they need to make everything close. Ugh

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Anyone see Mike Tomlin's presser after his win over the Ravens last week? He was legit PISSED. After a WIN.
THAT is the difference between a team that will go far in the playoffs versus a one & done clown show.

IT brings me back to the poster who had the nerve to criticize the posters that say "Nice win, but...".
Had we won today on that hail mary, anyone saying "NW, B" would have been totally justified. This winning by the skin of your teeth bullshit is fucquing TIRED. And only a senile, oldschool guy like Pete Carroll would actually enjoy this BS.

Looking back over these past few seasons, we just might be the WORST "winning' team in history.

I thought that I would be more comfortable with this loss after a few hours but it's just getting worse. At the end of this season, there needs to be some major changes made from top to bottom.

getnasty

Reaction score
hgwellz12":ihdh0hq7 said:
Anyone see Mike Tomlin's presser after his win over the Ravens last week? He was legit PISSED. After a WIN.
THAT is the difference between a team that will go far in the playoffs versus a one & done clown show.

IT brings me back to the poster who had the nerve to criticize the posters that say "Nice win, but...".
Had we won today on that hail mary, anyone saying "NW, B" would have been totally justified. This winning by the skin of your teeth bullshit is fucquing TIRED. And only a senile, oldschool guy like Pete Carroll would actually enjoy this BS.

Looking back over these past few seasons, we just might be the WORST "winning' team in history.

I thought that I would be more comfortable with this loss after a few hours but it's just getting worse. At the end of this season, there needs to be some major changes made from top to bottom.

Crazy that Tomlin and Pete have similar resumes

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
getnasty":3mothbw2 said:
hgwellz12":3mothbw2 said:

Had we won today on that hail mary, anyone saying "NW, B" would have been totally justified. This winning by the skin of your teeth $h!t is fucquing TIRED. And only a senile, oldschool guy like Pete Carroll would actually enjoy this BS.

Crazy that Tomlin and Pete have similar resumes

It sure is. Pete has a magic horseshoe made out of unicorn teeth and 4 leaf clovers or something. Oh, and a generational QB that has pulled his ass out of the burning abyss some 35-or 40 times in 9 seasons.

Chapow

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":vs9vxty1 said:
Pete's teams just seem to want to underachieve. They want to be backed into a corner...and come out of it as heroes.

Why can't this team just take what is theirs? It just boggles my mind. Every year they need to make everything close. Ugh

Has it occurred to you that maybe this team just isn't capable of dominating because we just aren't as good as we would like to believe we are?

I mean, I just keep seeing this over and over again and it just doesn't make any sense to me. The theory that we could be a dominating team, but we just choose not to be.

What makes more sense? We are a really, really good team that could dominate if we felt like it, but we just don't feel like it and are cool with losing to a 4-7 Giants teams starting a backup QB and backup RB, OR is it possible that maybe this team just isn't as good as we would like to believe they are?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
hgwellz12":1ztehpgc said:

Had we won today on that hail mary, anyone saying "NW, B" would have been totally justified. This winning by the skin of your teeth $h!t is fucquing TIRED. And only a senile, oldschool guy like Pete Carroll would actually enjoy this BS.

I'm so with you here.

Not one person is calling Gruden a genius for dialing up that Derek Carr pass play that let the Raiders squeak by the Jets today. Everyone agrees it was the stupidest of stupid defensive calls by the Jets. Even a d captain of the jets called his coordinator out in the presser.

Why is it so hard for fans/players to see reality here?

Is it nice to get to the playoffs every year? Absolutely. Is it nice to go one and out and be doomed and knew it? Absolutely not. But the way coaches are judged, of course, is if they make it to the playoffs.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Chapow":139e828v said:
CHawkTailGator":139e828v said:

Has it occurred to you that maybe this team just isn't capable of dominating because we just aren't as good as we would like to believe we are?

I mean, I just keep seeing this over and over again and it just doesn't make any sense to me. The theory that we could be a dominating team, but we just choose not to be.

What makes more sense? We are a really, really good team that could dominate if we felt like it, but we just don't feel like it and are cool with losing to a 4-7 Giants teams starting a backup QB and backup RB, OR is it possible that maybe this team just isn't as good as we would like to believe they are?

This. It's been 5 years, it's not going to suddenly change. We're just a slightly above average team, even if we look dominant for a few games a year, which probably 20+ teams do every season.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
ducks41468":1u8o40ki said:
Chapow":1u8o40ki said:
CHawkTailGator":1u8o40ki said:

This. It's been 5 years, it's not going to suddenly change. We're just a slightly above average team, even if we look dominant for a few games a year, which probably 20+ teams do every season.
I can't remember the last time this team dominated anyone. Maybe that 3 game run at the end of 2012/2013? where we scored 50+ in each game? I don't know why anyone would expect this team to be dominant. Maybe it's revisionist history due to the defense being dominant for a few years in a row, but even those teams didn't dominate on the scoreboard much. The SB I guess would be the last time I can recall. I can't remember the last time they played a complete game on both sides of the ball at the same time in the same game.

kf3339

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":296pkbm2 said:
hgwellz12":296pkbm2 said:

I'm so with you here.

Not one person is calling Gruden a genius for dialing up that Derek Carr pass play that let the Raiders squeak by the Jets today. Everyone agrees it was the stupidest of stupid defensive calls by the Jets. Even a d captain of the jets called his coordinator out in the presser.

Why is it so hard for fans/players to see reality here?

Is it nice to get to the playoffs every year? Absolutely. Is it nice to go one and out and be doomed and knew it? Absolutely not. But the way coaches are judged, of course, is if they make it to the playoffs.

There has been a need for major changes the last 3+ years, but isn't going to happen. PA's sister isn't going to do anything until the team is sold. Then perhaps a new owner will do what is truly needed.

olyfan63

Reaction score
kf3339":vfezlj6y said:
There has been a need for major changes the last 3+ years, but isn't going to happen. PA's sister isn't going to do anything until the team is sold. Then perhaps a new owner will do what is truly needed.

Or the new owner will be another Ken Behring. There are no guarantees here.

getnasty

Reaction score
hgwellz12":2dps6ndf said:

Tomlin's presser after a win seemed to have sent them into tailspin. Good take though.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Was our loss to the Giants worse than the dominant Stealers' loss to the Bengals tonight?

Domination doesn't happen much in the NFL. If you think we should be winning like that, the problem is your expectations and the "but if only" fantasy world many seem to live in.

Winning is very hard. Few do it consistently because teaming the right coach, program, players, assistant coaches, strength/training, injury vs. health, with luck like the ball bouncing just an inch or two sometimes is difficult to get right. There are too many factors under the cap to win consistently.

Too many fans also would give up a lot of wins over many seasons for one superbowl year. Well, I live week-to-week with football. My joy doesn't come from one game at the end of one season. If yours does, then you get to live with the emotional results, and be disappointed all the time.

That must be an emotional letdown for many of you to be fans of a team that underperforms to your expectations.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Domination is achieved in the trenches.

It's been pretty well accepted around here that our offensive line the last couple years, & especially under Cable, wasn't all that great so why would anybody think we would just "dominate" other teams with a below average OL?

Coming into this season everybody was concerned about our defensive line & pass rush saying it was our weakest link, & up until a few weeks ago it was, so why are we expecting them to "dominate" other teams with a below average DL?

Rat

Reaction score
A win is a win and I’m happy to get them.

We don’t have to win every game by 40, but it is frustrating when a team doesn’t play a full 60 minutes. That’s the mentality you hope the team has, even if it’s unrealistic to an extent. You really hope that doesn’t happen in the playoffs.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":29td718o said:
Well, I live week-to-week with football. My joy doesn't come from one game at the end of one season. If yours does, then you get to live with the emotional results, and be disappointed all the time.

Exactly what I started doing this season. Take it for the entertainment product that it is. Would I like to blow most teams out, sure lots of 40-0 games would be neat - but not realistic. I no longer get in a 4 day funk everytime we lose a game. Life's too short for that. I also don't just get into the Hawks winning - but I do love it. I take almost as much pleasure from a good Steelers loss, or a Patriots loss, or an underdog win like the Browns or the Raiders.

I do agree with the other poster's comments that I don't like it when we don't play 60 minutes. That bugs me sometimes. But, it's human nature in general to do 'as much as you have to do' unfortunately.

Edit/addition: And I don't think the Hawks have ever been a 'boot on your neck/Darth Vadery' type team - and it's kind of a package deal. When I started following them in 2005 - that's exactly why I chose them to root for. They were the 'good guys'. Not as visceral as some other teams - but competitive. I honestly couldn't imagine being a Ravens fan, or a Steelers fan.

Latest posts