JS/PC told why no interior lineman picks

seabowl

Reaction score
Just watched the Seahawks presser after the third round last night. The question was brought up as to why no interior line picks. The answer was simply something to the effect of they had guys they wanted but other teams chose them already. John said something like that this was the most unusual situation he seen in his time with the Seahawks and trying to make picks. They worded it like they didn’t want to reach for a player so they took the guys they did because they were the right value versus reaching for a need. I think he also said that it particularly effective them early on which I found to be a very interesting comment.

I bet the Rams selecting the OL right before us was a guy they wanted too.

Scout

Reaction score
While true it is not the end of the world. Still can find plenty of NTs on day three and sign a vet NT until the rookie learns the NFL game. There is still good value with a lot of the centers in the draft as well.

hoxrox

Reaction score
While I like that they are not reaching for needs, and going BPA and sticking with high character guys, at some point you have to fill glaring holes right?

Or are they banking on finding diamonds in later rounds or waiting for next draft? In the meantime, Josh Jacobs type backs going to run roughshod over us again? And hopefully Geno just outscores the opponent this season?

toffee

Reaction score
While I like that they are not reaching for needs, and going BPA and sticking with high character guys, at some point you have to fill glaring holes right?

Or are they banking on finding diamonds in later rounds or waiting for next draft? In the meantime, Josh Jacobs type backs going to run roughshod over us again? And hopefully Geno just outscores the opponent this season?
Hall was somewhat of a reach, but not by much.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
  1. We passed on Carter, by design.
  2. Richardson was picked, we took Witherspoon
  3. Kancey was picked, we took Njiba,
  4. Mazi & Bresee were taken, we took Hall
  5. Benton was taken, we took Charbonette.
36 Rams- Steve Avila OL
37 Seahawks- Derick Hall Edge

Very likely they wanted Avila

renofox

Reaction score
The board fell badly for PCJS re: IDL.

They maintained BPA approach and came away with 4 good players:

CB with great skills and production, a true "dog".

WR with insane production and the possibility of Largent type skill. Also a position of huge need for years.

EDGE with a mid floor but outstanding power with a very high ceiling. Not a big need for 2023 but should be good to take over in 2024 where the team doesn't have much under contract at the position.

RB who is a perfect pairing with KW9 and was the consensus #3 RB in this draft (#1 & #2 went in the top 12, and 4 more RBs went day 2 after the Seahawks). This was a HUGE need as 1) one RB cannot carry the load for an entire season, 2) this team collapses when it does not start a quality RB, and 3) this team did not have a suitable 3rd down back on the roster - ZC is a perfect 3rd down back with power running, excellent blocking, and good receiving skills.

Overall, PCJS stuck to BPA and still got players in positions of need. Maybe not the biggest needs (IDL, IOL), but IDL was not available without reaching and there is still plenty of quality IOL on the board.

PCJS are doing well for the 2nd consecutive year (after years of crap drafting) by sticking to a strategy de-emphasizing needs. I LIKE IT!

Superbowl 48

Reaction score
Not picking Jalen Carter at 5, was still a head scratcher for me, but Sherman says, the car race incident, and bad pro day is the reason. Good thing I'm not the Seahawks GM, I would of took a chance. He also said, Witherspoon wouldn't be available at 20, so that's probably the reason why, the Seahawks took him at 5.

renofox

Reaction score
Not picking Jalen Carter at 5, was still a head scratcher for me, but Sherman says, the car race incident, and bad pro day is the reason. Good thing I'm not the Seahawks GM, I would of took a chance.

I think PCJS are looking for players who are actually devoted to becoming the best football player they can be. JC does not meet this minimum standard.

warden

Reaction score
Not picking Jalen Carter at 5, was still a head scratcher for me, but Sherman says, the car race incident, and bad pro day is the reason. Good thing I'm not the Seahawks GM, I would of took a chance. He also said, Witherspoon wouldn't be available at 20, so that's probably the reason why, the Seahawks took him at 5.

Carter did not have the attitude on the football field that they are looking for. They wanted someone who showed more passion on the field

renofox

Reaction score
Hawks have added some beef!

Anthony Bradford iOL, LSU.
Changing their prototype?

Big, strong guy but lacking in lateral ability.

They've placed a lot of value on agility in the past. Wonder why the change?