JS/PC told why no interior lineman picks

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Not picking Jalen Carter at 5, was still a head scratcher for me, but Sherman says, the car race incident, and bad pro day is the reason. Good thing I'm not the Seahawks GM, I would of took a chance. He also said, Witherspoon wouldn't be available at 20, so that's probably the reason why, the Seahawks took him at 5.

I get the concern over the decision to street race that led to the deaths of a teammate and a coach. As for his pro day, it was suggested to me that he was completely overwhelmed with grief over the deaths that he was in no appropriate emotional state do anything football related and that makes sense. So this could be a huge whiff that comes back to haunt JS/PC.

Germanhawk7

Reaction score
I get the concern over the decision to street race that led to the deaths of a teammate and a coach. As for his pro day, it was suggested to me that he was completely overwhelmed with grief over the deaths that he was in no appropriate emotional state do anything football related and that makes sense. So this could be a huge whiff that comes back to haunt JS/PC.
Am I the only one who thinks what the Eagles are doing right now is absolute risk?
Davis is already there, Nolan Smith and now Ringo (who just came out he fell because he has character problems).
For me, the Eagles are creating exactly the opposite of what Carter need.
For me, you can only get a grip on someone like that if he gets away from his usual environment.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Carter did not have the attitude on the football field that they are looking for. They wanted someone who showed more passion on the field
JS stated that they had meetings and conversations three different times with Carter and that he was EASY TO PASS UP. That says a lot, in fact, that says it all..!

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
  1. We passed on Carter, by design.
  2. Richardson was picked, we took Witherspoon
  3. Kancey was picked, we took Njiba,
  4. Mazi & Bresee were taken, we took Hall
  5. Benton was taken, we took Charbonette.
2. Richardson was NEVER going to be the pick at 5. Witherspoon and Anderson were always the targets.

3. I'll give it about a 1% chance that Kancey was ahead of Njiba on their board.

4. These are likely the two that went earlier than JS expected.

5. I don't think the Hawks were as high on Benton as fans were.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
When I look at our picks to this point compared to our needs, it does look like we checked the boxes but not in the order that was expected. For example we got an interior lineman and centre but drafted them late.
I honestly expected to see a lot more negative comments when I got home last night about. running back in round 2 but seems like people were happy with it. Might have been early but they needed the depth.

Funny how Pete seems to get mocked or criticized for liking having lots of backs. Yet the Eagles sign Penny in free agency, now trade for Swift.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
JS stated that they had meetings and conversations three different times with Carter and that he was EASY TO PASS UP. That says a lot, in fact, that says it all..!
Yes, I would like to see a source on this because I would have a hard time thinking that John Schneider would say a player was “easy to pass up”. I may be wrong, but I’m calling BS on this.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
This is the first time under Pete/John that I can recall really liking the linemen picks after the 3rd round. We hit last year with Bryant and Woolen in the 4th/5th and I think we're going to hit again this year on those 4th and 5th rounders.

Fade

Reaction score
Day 2 there were guys they were definitely targeting in the trenches, but after the LJ Collier fail, they instead chose to ride out BPA rather than reaching. The guys they took in the 4th and 5th proved they made the right choice.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Yes, I would like to see a source on this because I would have a hard time thinking that John Schneider would say a player was “easy to pass up”. I may be wrong, but I’m calling BS on this.
OK, I apologize all to Hell, I went looking for the article and discovered that I had misquoted what JS said. I guess I looked to fast through blurred eyes. He actually said, It wasn't easy to pass. So I missed an 't in my quote. It doesn't take much to completely change the meaning of the quote, I'll read slower next time. No BS, just stupidly..
My apologize to all. I was hoping for Carter but I'll go with the brain trust...

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Changing their prototype?

Big, strong guy but lacking in lateral ability.

They've placed a lot of value on agility in the past. Wonder why the change?
PC&JS seem to think he has pretty good feet. JS said that in the game he attended Bradford found out right before the game started that he was starting at Tackle (regular Tackle was suspended) and played really well. PC said that while Bradford was primarily a guard, in a pinch he could handle a game or two at Tackle.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I’m not worried about our DL. The edge guys are always the hardest to find and we’re loaded now. We might grab another DT/DE still, and Woods/Harris are still out there for depth.
PC was asked about Al Woods and Poona Ford today and said he would love to have both back with the Hawks next season.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
PC was asked about Al Woods and Poona Ford today and said he would love to have both back with the Hawks next season.
I can see Woods, but Poona has been a 1-gapper so that's puzzling to me. I thought Harris might be an option because they called him a cap casualty, but maybe he's still too spendy.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I really wanted us to get Carter. But just as many here who didn't want him said they'd go with whatever Pete & John decided figuring they'd done their due diligence, I'm of the same mindset. They made the call, and instead got Witherspoon. I'll be keeping an eye from a distance to see how Carter's career progresses, but I'm not going to say Pete & John made the wrong call even if Carter is successful.

If we ever play Philly and get demolished because of him, however, it's going to sting.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I can see Woods, but Poona has been a 1-gapper so that's puzzling to me. I thought Harris might be an option because they called him a cap casualty, but maybe he's still too spendy.
I also read that PC felt Poona was misused at 3T and 5T last year. PC felt he should have been used over Center (NT). IMHO Poona isn't much of a 2-gap defender, but what do I know? Here's the Link.

Mix

Reaction score
  1. We passed on Carter, by design.
  2. Richardson was picked, we took Witherspoon
  3. Kancey was picked, we took Njiba,
  4. Mazi & Bresee were taken, we took Hall
  5. Benton was taken, we took Charbonette.
I agree with almost all of this.

I think Rams took Avila, leading to the Hall pick.