Why did we waive Freeney?

kobebryant

Reaction score
Pure speculation on my part, but maybe it signals good news regarding the health of Cliff Avril, Marcus Smith, or Malik McDowell.

kidhawk

Reaction score
kobebryant":2m20csap said:
Pure speculation on my part, but maybe it signals good news regarding the health of Cliff Avril, Marcus Smith, or Malik McDowell.

Rule Smith out as he's already on the roster so there is no need to make space for him. Avril would completely shock me if he returned. McDowell is a possibility as he would need a roster spot, but If I am being totally honest, I think at this point, I'd rather have just put McDowell on IR for the season and kept Freeney. He's been pretty good so far and he's a known quantity.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
kidhawk":19bh8ss6 said:
kobebryant":19bh8ss6 said:

Rule Smith out as he's already on the roster so there is no need to make space for him. Avril would completely shock me if he returned. McDowell is a possibility as he would need a roster spot, but If I am being totally honest, I think at this point, I'd rather have just put McDowell on IR for the season and kept Freeney. He's been pretty good so far and he's a known quantity.

McDowell is on the NFI list so he can practice for 3 weeks with the team before being added to the active roster. Since he's not practicing, it's very unlikely that it's him. Same situation with Shead. I think Pete said they're both a ways from the roster but Shead is ahead.

That said, we're pretty heavy on DL right now. I think we're at 11 or 12 when we normally carry 10. Probably clearing room for someone who can contribute on special teams. Cashius Marsh would make some sense. I'm personally hoping this is the return of Marcel Reese. Someone @ Guy Fieri and ask.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
You never know about Freeny. Could it have been lack of effort durning practice, Maybe butting heads with certain players or coaches never know the real reason. I stll say after this season Pete should rebuild the entire O and D with exception to a few including coaches. I enjoy the hungry look the young player's give.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I'm hoping it's to make room for a RB that can stay healthy. Are there any out there?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Has anyone checked the team's cap position following the acquisition of Maxwell?

Therein is the reason, they can't afford Freeney.

OP
OP
N

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Interesting points made by everyone other than the knee-jerk response which was totally not related to what I was getting at.

I think were in cap hell right now, but I'm not sure how that all works. I read something that has us last in the league right now in cap space with about 100k available iirc.

The injuries are super obnoxious at this point because it's happening at positions where we don't have a ton of depth.

RB and CB, man what an unfortunate year for injuries.

Disappointed seeing Freeney go given his production.

chris98251

Reaction score
Could be that he made Ifedi look bad in practice also. Shaking his confidence so that he is not effective in games,

Nah they would have to wave the whole D line and LB group if that was the case.

OP
OP
N

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
chris98251":2r938d2c said:
Could be that he made Ifedi look bad in practice also. Shaking his confidence so that he is not effective in games,

Nah they would have to wave the whole D line and LB group if that was the case.
:lol:

kobebryant

Reaction score
kidhawk":31846zeg said:
kobebryant":31846zeg said:

Sorry, I meant that perhaps Smith is getting healthy enough to start getting reps again, thus making a DL expendable. With Jordan, Jackson and Smith potentially being in their longer term plans, plus Frank and Mike, Freeney perhaps becomes the odd man out when the next roster move is made.

Freeney also seemed to be freelancing a bit, and lost contain on the Matt Ryan first down scramble. That's a huge no-no to Pete, as 'hero ball' has previously cost David Bass and TY McGill their jobs.

KillerB

Reaction score
RussB":713ohjfc said:
Mcdowell or shead are coming back soon. They also might pick up jalen collins.

Hmm, Jalen Collins. Quick, tall, long arms, needs a second chance. I like this concept.

two dog

Reaction score
Surprising move. Freeney seemed to me to have been an intelligent and cost effective signing.

Especially in light of the 5 million dollar Eddie Lacey pothole. That's without considering
our "Placekicker".
Some strange decisions without even mentioning Alex Collins....but I will anyway.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I got to the press conference a little late, but Pete was answering this when I started listening and he finished by talking about it being partially cap related. I'll have to rewatch the conference when it's posted to see what he said in full.

kidhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":34ctuu35 said:
I got to the press conference a little late, but Pete was answering this when I started listening and he finished by talking about it being partially cap related. I'll have to rewatch the conference when it's posted to see what he said in full.

Ok got to see the full quote in context and he said we needed to make some moves and that was the spot we were deepest. Said he hated to do it but it had to be done. Said he thought Freeney played well but we needed the roster spot due to our injury situations.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Freeney just tweeted that he is completely confused.

Sounds like we didn't even give him an explanation. I just dont get the decisions Pete makes sometimes.

rossob

Reaction score
kidhawk":3lc6nds1 said:
kidhawk":3lc6nds1 said:

Ok got to see the full quote in context and he said we needed to make some moves and that was the spot we were deepest. Said he hated to do it but it had to be done. Said he thought Freeney played well but we needed the roster spot due to our injury situations.

I get the 'we needed the roster spot due to our injury situations' part. But why do we then go on and promote David Moore instead of a RB or DB? Were there any injuries to our receivers that I missed?

OP
OP
N

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
From Dwight Freemey's twitter: Completely confused to be in this situation but excited for the future.

Sounds, looks and feels like a white flag, oh Pete.

RussB

Reaction score
KillerB":4c74h9wr said:
RussB":4c74h9wr said:
Mcdowell or shead are coming back soon. They also might pick up jalen collins.

Hmm, Jalen Collins. Quick, tall, long arms, needs a second chance. I like this concept.
He played pretty well for the falcons last year when trufant went down.