Why did we waive Freeney?

massari

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/dwightfreeney/status/933468908543082496[/tweet]

iigakusei

Reaction score
Of course he is confused because he thought he played well.
I want this team to be more cutthroat with it's roster moves - so I really don't mind it.

OP
OP
N

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
iigakusei":3jr0rdi9 said:
I want this team to be more cutthroat with it's roster moves - so I really don't mind it.
I wish the team was more cut throat with the coaching staff... ok im done.

iigakusei

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":kmegy8qx said:
iigakusei":kmegy8qx said:
100% agree.

kidhawk

Reaction score
rossob":3b63g9x6 said:
kidhawk":3b63g9x6 said:
kidhawk":3b63g9x6 said:
I got to the press conference a little late, but Pete was answering this when I started listening and he finished by talking about it being partially cap related. I'll have to rewatch the conference when it's posted to see what he said in full.

Ok got to see the full quote in context and he said we needed to make some moves and that was the spot we were deepest. Said he hated to do it but it had to be done. Said he thought Freeney played well but we needed the roster spot due to our injury situations.

I get the 'we needed the roster spot due to our injury situations' part. But why do we then go on and promote David Moore instead of a RB or DB? Were there any injuries to our receivers that I missed?

As I also mentioned prior to the second posting, he also mentioned cap space. Freeney is one of a small minority of players that frees up cap space with a release. We are very tight against the cap. This move gives us more freedom moving forward, not just this week. At least that's how I took the explanation.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
kidhawk":1n6xhhor said:
rossob":1n6xhhor said:
I got to the press conference a little late, but Pete was answering this when I started listening and he finished by talking about it being partially cap related. I'll have to rewatch the conference when it's posted to see what he said in full.

Ok got to see the full quote in context and he said we needed to make some moves and that was the spot we were deepest. Said he hated to do it but it had to be done. Said he thought Freeney played well but we needed the roster spot due to our injury situations.

I get the 'we needed the roster spot due to our injury situations' part. But why do we then go on and promote David Moore instead of a RB or DB? Were there any injuries to our receivers that I missed?

As I also mentioned prior to the second posting, he also mentioned cap space. Freeney is one of a small minority of players that frees up cap space with a release. We are very tight against the cap. This move gives us more freedom moving forward, not just this week. At least that's how I took the explanation.

Also said that another team was trying to poach David Moore.

MarylandHawk

Reaction score
This move made zero sense and the post -2013 decisions of John Schneider and PC are subpar at best.

summesm

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1vwaz4bl said:
iigakusei":1vwaz4bl said:
yep agree 100% about coaching staff

King Dog

Reaction score
summesm":3i0tos6w said:
NFSeahawks628":3i0tos6w said:
iigakusei":3i0tos6w said:
yep agree 100% about coaching staff
*cough cough Cable

netskier

Reaction score
randomation":g4gzxnj5 said:
Freeny had 3 sacks in 4 games in what world does releasing him fit the always compete mantra :?:
:sarcasm_on:

Right. That extrapolates to only 12 sacks per 16 game season.

:sarcasm_off:

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
In just a few games, he was already 3rd on this team in sacks. The cap savings was minimal considering he was on vet min, pro-rated status. It's just another illogical, stupid move by Carroll and JS and frankly that's becoming the norm lately.

And for people claiming well he had 1 bad play against Atl so that's reason for cutting him?? Every one of our star players have a couple bad plays or more every single game. Freeney added to a badly needed pass rush and Carroll got rid of him to keep a new 6th string receiver and to save maybe 50k. Just par for the course with the FO decisions lately.

olyfan63

Reaction score
cymatica":1g53r4ix said:

kobebryant":1g53r4ix said:
Freeney also seemed to be freelancing a bit, and lost contain on the Matt Ryan first down scramble. That's a huge no-no to Pete, as 'hero ball' has previously cost David Bass and TY McGill their jobs.

Thank you, the FG article explains it all very well. Cap, team control, and then reduced production of the D-Line as a whole. Take away that Matt Ryan scramble and it makes a huge difference in that game.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
olyfan63":31c7fa4g said:
cymatica":31c7fa4g said:

kobebryant":31c7fa4g said:
Freeney also seemed to be freelancing a bit, and lost contain on the Matt Ryan first down scramble. That's a huge no-no to Pete, as 'hero ball' has previously cost David Bass and TY McGill their jobs.

Thank you, the FG article explains it all very well. Cap, team control, and then reduced production of the D-Line as a whole. Take away that Matt Ryan scramble and it makes a huge difference in that game.

Why did we even sign him then? How much more production did they think they were going to get out of Freeney?

cymatica

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":22jwgkmi said:
olyfan63":22jwgkmi said:
cymatica":22jwgkmi said:

kobebryant":22jwgkmi said:

Why did we even sign him then? How much more production did they think they were going to get out of Freeney?

They signed him because Avril went down. This was also before we lost other key players.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think it was before they seen how Smith and Jordon were going to work out.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
chris98251":1xyw02y3 said:
I think it was before they seen how Smith and Jordon were going to work out.

Yeah I get that. These guys were expected to come back by the FO though right? I'm asking these questions because what we know is Avril got hurt, Smith and Jordon are due to come back. Coaches seem to already like Smith so now they need to see how Jordon does when he comes back. Jordon pans out.

So if everything goes as hoped after Avril goes down, the FO only had the intent to sign Freeney for what, four games. Then cut him so they can even out the roster. Also why was it so important to get this offensive and defensive balance now? Was it that critical? If it was, why was it to an offensive position that is already deep? Just seems like odd reasoning, I could be missing something though. Never heard of a "healthy scratch" either till this season.