Why do people go crazy for the Seahawks?

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":c6de9bl6 said:
A few people seem to think this guy is a Cowboys fan. While it may be, since there are a few such misguided fans in Seattle proper, the smart money is that it's this guy:

Bearded hipster

"Pfftt, sports.... people still watch that?" /eye roll

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
kearly":w6fsewlo said:
Back in ancient times, families would live within the same city or town for centuries. Once immigration became a thing a couple hundred years ago, people often took surnames that reflected the place they came from. For example, Ben Roethlisberger's name is literally German for "from Roethlisberg".

That's kind of extinct now, but people still want to have pride in their city or homeland and sports is one of the most popular mediums for that (it is not the only one, music is a popular outlet for this as well, e.g. Pitbull, JayZ, Tupac or Macklemore). This is why non-native fans (aka bandwagon fans) are often met with skepticism from those hailing from the team's city.

It also greases the skids to fandom when your entire family are fans of the same team.

Basically, it's part of the last vestiges of tribalism in modern society. This of course creates a biproduct of homerism and stupidity, but it also brings intensity to the game which helps make it great.

There are other reasons to be fans though. Some love the game. A lot of female fans might find some of the players to be cute. Maybe you really like the identity a team brings so you adopt them. Maybe you have a friend of a friend that ended up on an NFL team.

Kearly dropping gems on 'em.

This thread should be stickied.

OP
OP
M

mxguy

Reaction score
This is the OP. I appreciate all the replies. There were some great stories. I can see that many have been fans for a long time. Maybe that explains the passion by some, as its developed for so long, that it becomes a life habit, and grows each year.

I still wonder what makes people so incredibly passionate and crazy about them though, and to go to such great lengths, spending so much time, money, and effort, to do all the things they do just to show that they like a football team that they watch on tv or at the stadium? There are a lot of things in life that I like, but nothing at all makes me want to paint my face with it, dress in expensive logo wear all the time, go to crowded areas and scream about it, talk about it nonstop at social gatherings, flood social media about it, party on the streets holding signs about it.

And also, I wonder. Of all the things you could have chose to be so passionate about, and go to such great lengths for, what made you choose the Seahawks, instead of anything else? Such as movie series, or a scientist who's studying something, or video game you like, or a pet, or family member, or even an personal accomplishment of your own?

jacobsod

Reaction score
mxguy":3qmm3dp6 said:
This is the OP. I appreciate all the replies. There were some great stories. I can see that many have been fans for a long time. Maybe that explains the passion by some, as its developed for so long, that it becomes a life habit, and grows each year.

I still wonder what makes people so incredibly passionate and crazy about them though, and to go to such great lengths, spending so much time, money, and effort, to do all the things they do just to show that they like a football team that they watch on tv or at the stadium? There are a lot of things in life that I like, but nothing at all makes me want to paint my face with it, dress in expensive logo wear all the time, go to crowded areas and scream about it, talk about it nonstop at social gatherings, flood social media about it, party on the streets holding signs about it.

And also, I wonder. Of all the things you could have chose to be so passionate about, and go to such great lengths for, what made you choose the Seahawks, instead of anything else? Such as movie series, or a scientist who's studying something, or video game you like, or a pet, or family member, or even an personal accomplishment of your own?

I wear gaming / movie themed stuff all the time. Proud 12 AND a nerd. Proud of it. :p

I'm a good father and husband. My family always comes first.

No need to tout any personal accomplishments. Actions speak louder, my friend.

My pet is a cat and he's a COMPLETE idiot so .. yeah. Nothing there.

Ya know...ya CAN be fanatic / passionate about many things at once!

homerun1970

Reaction score
Most here from what I have read through the years Seahawks is a passion. I have also read and seen other things that they are passionate about. It can be Family, Music, Art, Fishing, or a myriad of other things. Many things you can do alone some are best shared with others, the passion for the Seahawks is a shared one.

Maulbert

Reaction score
mxguy":9puekzrl said:

What, are you writing a dissertation? People like what they like. And as for that personal accomplishment crack, which suggests that one can't have a personal accomplishment and still have hobbies, stick it where the sun doesn't shine, you little troll.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Oh, this guy is good. What a compliment! We must be, through this fella's staunch research, the most rabid fanbase he could identify! Hellzzzz yes!

I wonder what it's like to live your life and feel like this kind of behavior is too much? Life would suck, eh?!?!